Failed surgery

Options
djwife03
djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I tore the collateral ligament(complete tear) in my secod toe along with a partial tear in the plantar plate. I had surgery November 20, so about 10 weeks out now. I had to be non weight bearing for 4 weeks. Then I could start bearing weight and was wearing a walking boot. Once I started walking on it I noticed the toe started leaning again like it was before surgery. Surgeon said that because the ligament was completely torn he really had to work to gather enough to stretch it back it and a hot it again. So he put me in a toe splint and kept me in the boot. He didn't want the ligament to stretch too much too soon. Wants it to heal and get some scar tissues built up. I've been doing PT now and any time I don't have the splint on the toe drifts over a little again! I'm concerned he will have to go back in! Anyone ever have a surgery fail? I'm not saying this is happening, as I want to stay positive: I see surgeon again in two weeks and we'll go from there. I guess I'm just venting here! Lol

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That sounds really frustrating

No experience but good luck
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I work in a recovery room where we do surgery all the time to repair "failed" surgery. Sometimes the hardware breaks or shifts position. Sometimes the tissue fails to heal properly (especially with diabetics). Sometimes the person overuses the joint or re-injures it. Sometimes the tissue needs to heal then loosen up to be fully functional. Sometimes the scar tissue is the fix and needs to heal and tighten up for the joint to be fully functional (my dog's knee surgery for example).

Many things can happen and not be anybody's fault.

I'm sorry you are frustrated. Is it painful or just not as cosmetically straight as you hoped it would be? If it works fine, you may have to just live with a crooked toe.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is on her third surgery for an MCL and I can only imagine the frustration. It seems like this time it is finally right. Just keep your head up and keep plugging along. Listen to the doctor and the PT.
  • djwife03
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    I work in a recovery room where we do surgery all the time to repair "failed" surgery. Sometimes the hardware breaks or shifts position. Sometimes the tissue fails to heal properly (especially with diabetics). Sometimes the person overuses the joint or re-injures it. Sometimes the tissue needs to heal then loosen up to be fully functional. Sometimes the scar tissue is the fix and needs to heal and tighten up for the joint to be fully functional (my dog's knee surgery for example).

Many things can happen and not be anybody's fault.

I'm sorry you are frustrated. Is it painful or just not as cosmetically straight as you hoped it would be? If it works fine, you may have to just live with a crooked toe.

The only pain is from doing pt and working that toe. The plantar plate is secure and tight. If I wear the split all day(which is as dr directed) then take it off to elevate it, and then like take a shower, when I get out of shower, It has drifted over some. I'm at week 10 post op and I realize healing takes time. I'm wearing tennis shoes all the time now and not going barefoot(which is my usual) I also had a Mortons neuroma so he cut that out also. He did everything through the top of the foot instead of the bottom like it's usually done. So the top of my foot is tender as exprected and parts are still numb...also expected. I'm riding my stationary bike and putting the pedals on the mid foot to protect that toe so I'm following orders.

• space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had a b/l fascia release due to chronic exertional compartment syndrome just over 2 months ago now. I've just been given the go ahead to start back to running--slowly. I also am still in PT. I'm noticing some symptoms like I had before and unfortunately, I've read a lot of stories about the surgery failing, so I feel like I am psyching myself out a bit. I'm almost afraid to try running for real because what if I realize it didn't work? I wouldn't go through it again. It isn't life threatening and I can walk okay (long distances are harder), I just can't run. But I want to be a runner!
  • djwife03
    Options
    space_case wrote: »
    I had a b/l fascia release due to chronic exertional compartment syndrome just over 2 months ago now. I've just been given the go ahead to start back to running--slowly. I also am still in PT. I'm noticing some symptoms like I had before and unfortunately, I've read a lot of stories about the surgery failing, so I feel like I am psyching myself out a bit. I'm almost afraid to try running for real because what if I realize it didn't work? I wouldn't go through it again. It isn't life threatening and I can walk okay (long distances are harder), I just can't run. But I want to be a runner!

Omg! Me too! So scared to run again or even do the elliptical! Anything that would have me go up on my toes! :/. I feel your frustration and concern! I'm a runner also and would give anything to get back to that! :(