Crossfit and want to do be vegetarian - help!

Options
Does anyone have good information about being vegetarian and doing crossfit. It seems that most people involved where I am are interested in protein powders and meat. Would appreciate any resources you might know of.

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Crossfit involves strength training, which requires protein. Are you vegetarian or vegan? If milk is OK, whey protein will help you meet your protein needs pretty easily.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few books on it. Go check out vegetarianbodybuilder.com and the no meat athlete website. He has a book by same name. Another book is called meat is for *kitten* ( sorry it's the name of the book for real!) there's many sources for vegan/ vegetarians! Oats/ spirulina/chloerella/ tvp/tsp/tofu/soy/tempeh/seitan/and all the protein in plants you can google high protein veggies. Then there's pea protein/ hemp/ and other powders. As well as beans and legumes.

I don't see why you can't cross fit! They do that whole30 deal and that's practically vegetarian.

Just google all you can and research it.
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    There are quite a few books on it. Go check out vegetarianbodybuilder.com and the no meat athlete website. He has a book by same name. Another book is called meat is for *kitten* ( sorry it's the name of the book for real!) there's many sources for vegan/ vegetarians! Oats/ spirulina/chloerella/ tvp/tsp/tofu/soy/tempeh/seitan/and all the protein in plants you can google high protein veggies. Then there's pea protein/ hemp/ and other powders. As well as beans and legumes.

I don't see why you can't cross fit! They do that whole30 deal and that's practically vegetarian.

Just google all you can and research it.

Oh nutritional yeast is another protein source
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    If you really want to try the vegetarian route, you WILL need to consume good Whey Isolate Protein supplement.
    Try NOW SPORTS Natural Unflavored and sweeten with Blueberries and Stevia to taste.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My gf I'd a vegetarian and one of the best crossfitters at the box. She gets plenty of protein from many sources, including protein powder & the fake meat stuff.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    They do that whole30 deal and that's practically vegetarian.

?? It requires no legumes, grains, or dairy, and previously required no potatoes. Also no added sugar, fake baked goods or sweets made with otherwise approved ingredients, and various limits on oils. Don't see how that's vegetarian at all.

Also, CF tends to be more paleo-ish than all the way W30, and increasingly is pushing higher carb ways of doing paleo. The competitive CFers don't do paleo, typically.

Anyway, paleo aside, no reason why you couldn't be a vegetarian and do CF. No specific diet is required.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    There is no reason you cant be a vegetarian and do crossfit. I knew a guy that was big in crossfit was vegan. The main thing is to get enough protien with beans, lentils, tofu, nuts protien bars and powders ect. looks online top sources for vegetarian protien.
  • chrisHarrington725
    Options
    there are also vegan protein powder and bars, etc. in case you didn't know
  • jayla73
    jayla73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A good protein I use sometimes is the Vega proteins and green in vanilla. That one helps me get enough protein if I've done a more intense workout some days(From a current vegan)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There is no reason you cant be a vegetarian and do crossfit...

I thought it was like some kind of law that you have to go paleo if you do Crossfit. Seems like every single person I know who started Crossfit also went paleo.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I thought it was like some kind of law that you have to go paleo if you do Crossfit. Seems like every single person I know who started Crossfit also went paleo.
    I have been to several different crossfit boxes in different states...never had anyone push paleo. They all are obsessed with protien powders and quest protien bars though ha
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

There is so much misinformation about crossfit it's ridiculous. The kettlebell studio that I am affiliated with talks & pushes Paleo 50x more than the crossfit box.
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Hi there again I watched a video on the YouTube channel mr and Mrs. Vegan called what you should know about being vegan and weight lifting on it is a guy who wrote a book called shred it ( don't recall his first name. Also his website called vegan bodybuilder.com. In the video he explains how one can do this and be vegan ( you can adapt it to vegetarian) it's very good I thought. There is also a guy on YouTube called vegan gains you might wanna check out.
  • kaabeee23
    kaabeee23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information and discussion! Means a lot to me!!
  • brucealfred3
    brucealfred3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    kaabeee23 wrote: »
    Does anyone have good information about being vegetarian and doing crossfit. It seems that most people involved where I am are interested in protein powders and meat. Would appreciate any resources you might know of.
    kaabeee23 wrote: »

• brucealfred3
    Options
    Finally!! Someone in my boat!! I for one am not at all into the shakes and powder, or any of that junk. While it isn't bad for you mainly, and they do have vegan powders, it's so much more satisfying and fun if you earn it on your own. So if you want to be vegan about it, I permit myself to drink ALMOND MILK. That's it. And water. So I actually make my own peanut butter which is PACKED with protein. Plenty for one day...even crossfit. I started crossfit and love it. But in reality, if you want to gain muscle, you're gonna have to eat more
  • brucealfred3
    Options
    I'm on a 3,400 cals a day diet. All organic, as hardly any meat. I'm more of a paleo diet really. But I'm totally with you. I don't know how long you've been doing vegan...but there are TONS strange and exact plants with protein. One of the pros of Google. Lol