How can I stop my addiction to fast food? Need help...

Options
Today was going just fine until I ate a burger from a fast food chain. I had this temptation of getting it & I couldn't resist.. I think I'm addicted to the actuall carbs, sodium, & sweets that come with a burger combo, not the actual taste. Could anybody share any ideas on how to substitute fast food with healthier meals?

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You are not addicted, you just don't have self control.

I suggest packing a lunch.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I broke my habit by making my own burgers at home for a while. I would make a turkey burger with the fixins, mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomato, etc. For a while, I had that almost every day until I got sick of it.

It's not so much an addiction, just a bad habit. So you replace one habit with another, and that takes time and a whole lot of effort.
  • cizzim
    cizzim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think to some extent it is an addiction. Sugar is really hard to kick and fast food contains a LOT. I just go cold turkey and I started a star reward system. Sounds like it's for kids I know but it does help. If you reward yourself with something not related to food it becomes easier to make the good choices every day. I give myself stars for eating healthy and being under my calorie goal, for exercise I do and any other goals I have. Once I hit 100 stars I get to chose one out of several non-food related treats (like buying new makeup, getting a haircut etc). It's a good way to keep the motivation going and then you know if you have that burger you're losing a star which means your further away from your reward! :)
    Also, make sure your meals aren't boring! Make fun and nutrious meals, that you actually look forward to eating.
    Junk food will always be tempting and it can be hard to say no, but try to visualise yourself in the future when you're up against that choice- will you be happy with what you've just eaten? Will you feel good? Will it be worth it? More often than not the answers to those questions are no :)
    Good luck!! :)
  • saffron09
    saffron09 Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Watch the movie Supersize me. It put me off eating mcdonalds for good. Hadn't eaten it for about 10 years till my daughter really wanted a toy in the happy meal so I broke down and tried it again. Its horrible, not even sure what I ate, lol!
  • spicyginger2006
    spicyginger2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There really is no way around this, but to avoid fast food all together. The sodium, MSG, sugar and all the other *kitten* in fast food IS addicting and it will do nothing for your body except make you crave more. So stay away. It's not a part of my life anymore, let alone anything I even think about. Start looking up healthy, fresh, flavorful recipes that will give you satisfaction. A great book to look into is Eat This! Not that. You will have to cook, prepare and plan. It's worth the work and I bet you won't even think about fast food anymore!
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. Increasing my water intake has cut down on almost all of my "cravings". I was able to quit drinking pepsi, cut out most fast food, and eliminate my late night snacking because I've started drinking more water. It doesn't mean I don't occasionally get them but it's not an every day occurence anymore.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, OP.
    A large part of it isn't really your fault - think about it, it's little ol' you against an entire billion dollar fast food and junk industry that spends billions of their profit dollars on R&D research for find the best possible combination of tastes and ways to mix flavours, fats, salt, sugar, textures together into one big taste monster mama that completely OVERLOADS an otherwise normal sensory perception you have with every bite, every spoonful or taste.

Obviously all those dollars have brought them a team of very highly qualified experts from food scientists to marketing gurus to maximise every area they can target to get you hooked at every angle.

It's the reason why even though scientists say yes we seek out fat by instinct - we don't go shoving spoonfuls of pure butter or lard into our mouths, do we? No we binge on salty chips, that oozy full meaty salty slightly sweet and tangy combo of that massive monster burger or that chewy ooey gooey warm brownie slathered in salted caramel and studded with choc chips, topped with premium ice cream.

The key is to not beat yourself up over it and go into a binge-starve cycle. It's okay to crave. It's okay to let yourself eat a burger every now and then. But the key is truly to just keep trying, and keep getting back on the bandwagon, and try to spread out your junk days into non-binge type fests.

Maybe have a good burger meal once a month and eat healthfully every other day with an allowance for a small properly portioned snack.

And for the other things like loving burgers - you can incorporate that into your meal plan. A small multi-grain wholemeal roll (not the huge continental type rolls which clock in 250-300 kcal per roll before you add anything), replace mayo with light mayo or even better, forgo mayo it's overrated anyway.

You want an explosion of tastes not some bland crap (mayo and buttered noodles are yuck anyway) so put some peppery dijon mustard or English mustard, load it with greens. Try other kind of greens which add dimension as lettuce tends to not taste like anything anyway. Try lean meat mixed with healthy veg to bulk up the burger's nutritional content - black beans, lentils, soya nuggets, QUORN mince.

Add in strong tasting sauces like Sirarcha sauce and peppery sliced red onions. Have it with a side of home-made baked veggie chips/fries.
  • ShrinkingScientist
    Options
    I cut out McDonald's (and all fast food with the exception of occasional plain white castles). I looked at it from a financial point. It's cheaper to just buy food in a grocery store. :)
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I broke my habit by making my own burgers at home for a while. I would make a turkey burger with the fixins, mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomato, etc. For a while, I had that almost every day until I got sick of it.

It's not so much an addiction, just a bad habit. So you replace one habit with another, and that takes time and a whole lot of effort.

That was the similar with me tbh though I didn't substitute it with food but with making a calorie allowance for it to indulge in at the end of the week.

A particularly bad run was when I was so hooked on the gelato at an ice cream parlour due to their very very creative weekly flavours which they posted up on Facebook every time they came out with one. I must admit I didn't unsubscribe of that feed because part of me wanted that ice cream. I would get these massive cravings every single time they posted up a new weekly 'limited edition' flavour - which added great urgency to me making a beeline there without fail for at least 2 months every single week.

I still lost weight because I would just eat less and exercise more during the week, but mentally it wasn't healthy at all because I was just making these stupid plans to go eat ice cream and then it spread to croissants (another gourmet artisan patisserie that rotated it's pastry creations, mostly croissiants.). So by the end of the week of literally over-exercising and starving myself I would crawl there early in the morning, polish off at least two massive croissants (mostly twice baked almond croissants and some other special flavour filled croissant special that week), go have brunch, then finish it with two massive scoops of gelato of their weekly flavour. :(

It took some overseas travel to break that cycle. I went back last week to give it a try (without the craving) and honestly I'm so over that crap I could go without gelato and croissants for at least a year now.
  • jcramer10
    jcramer10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    People say to make healthier decisions at the gas to of restaurants but in all honesty they are not that much healthier. So the best thing is to probably avoid them all together. You could make versions of your own at home with lean ground beef or turkey or make a lettuce wrap. Maybe find something healthy that you love just as much and keep that as an option. Like I love soda and I'm working on permanently kicking that habit so I buy flavored sparkling water. It still gives me the carbonation that I crave and it's healthy! Good luck and hang in there!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    saffron09 wrote: »
    Watch the movie Supersize me. It put me off eating mcdonalds for good. Hadn't eaten it for about 10 years till my daughter really wanted a toy in the happy meal so I broke down and tried it again. Its horrible, not even sure what I ate, lol!

If OP is struggling with overeating, more than likely to satisfy a habit or replace something "see boredom, not necessarily deep family issues", I don't think simple negative conditioning like "gross yourself out" is going to help much.

When I was a kid I would eat pizza every day at lunch with my friends, and throw a fit if my parents didn't buy fast food for most dinners. Once I started getting healthy and realized the food I put is my body is the only thing fueling me for the next 70 years I stopped ever thinking about fast food. Nowadays some brussel sprouts, carrots and a sandwich with a pickle seems 100x more appealing to me than a burger.
  • khansari89
    khansari89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well i think its a bit different for everybody, one my find it helpfull just to chenge route in the way to work to avoid any temptation other my use some meditation stuff to get the hang of the socalled self control

I think you or any one shoulf first take time to understand what is wrong
    Sometimes we eat because of stress not the actual hunger!!!! Sadness feeling lonely or a simple jealousy as you whatched your co worker got a promotion over you or you siblings got engaged in a serious relationship and YOU DONT!!

I believe the problem should be diagnosed FIRST

TALT TO YOUR SELF , say that your feelings -what ever they may be - are bothering you ! Don't tackle with them , just say that your feeling has to have other forms for being released! Eating is not the answer ! Fast food or healthy food can make you fatter if you can't control the intake

Shout to a pillow, punch a punching bag! Go one a website to find someone ! Look for other jobs ! Cut out your life those whose acts make you less self confident every time you see them.

• Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem - I still get burger cravings like crazy some days.

Some places will do a bunless burger which is healthier as the bun is not real bread.

I pack my lunch for work to avoid the temptation.
    I live next to a Burger hero with a 24hr maccas 2 blocks down the road. I never walk near them hungry. I will change my entire route to avoid them if I have to.

Remind yourself of your goals.

When my cravings say: It's just one burger. It won't hurt.
    I remind myself one might not. But one every day will. If I have one now I will justify another later.

Addiction is hard. I have had to kick a sugar addiction, a fast food addiction, a burger addiction. It takes time and lots of effort.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Fast food really isn't inherently evil. I eat it several times a month and make it fit my calories.
  • RicMackie
    RicMackie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I still go to "some" fast food places, but I've adjusted what I get. El Pollo Loco is wonderful. Very good chicken, decent-enough salads, and steamed broccoli. I like Popeye's for their Blackened Strips. I sometimes add the green beans, but you really gotta watch the sodium. KFC, if you get the Grilled chicken, it's pretty much the same nutrition values as Original Recipe - so enjoy the skin! In a pinch, I'll get a cheeseburger from McD or JitB, but I toss the bun, and no ketchup. Carl's Jr has a 1/3-pound burger. Very good stuff - again, no bun or ketchup. So...try and avoid them if you can. And take little steps. At this point, I hit El Pollo Loco once per week, and Popeye's and KFC about once every week-an-a-half. It's rough - I ate fast food pretty much every day for years. But if you allow yourself to start by making "better" choices (nobody's perfect), you can do it.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It's because you don't care enough about your results.

It's good to really think about why your doing this, how your daily life will change, all the little differences.

Also, you can fit fast food into your calories if your careful.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    joe_rdz18 wrote: »
    Today was going just fine until I ate a burger from a fast food chain. I had this temptation of getting it & I couldn't resist.. I think I'm addicted to the actuall carbs, sodium, & sweets that come with a burger combo, not the actual taste.

No, you're not. You didn't mention caloric balance in the context of your day & week, and the speed at which your food is served is irrelevant. Please try again.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Actions are easy to repeat. Change your direction. And do some extensive research and look into how unhealthy fast food is. In America especially, profit is their goal while placing millions of Americans health at risk. I now hate fast food because I know what's in it. Subway, who we all thought was healthy, was exposed for adding a chemical used to make rubber to their bread to make it white.
  • Hoooooooooo
    Hoooooooooo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Go cold turkey for a month and then any fast food will taste yuck after that.
    I gave up sugar just over a year ago and my taste buds have completely changed. I no longer crave junk, processed food.
    When I cycle in the morning I go past 7 fast food places and the grease smell is nasty......
    If you read what are in the food you wouldn't want to eat it!
    Respect your body
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    You are not addicted, you just don't have self control.

I suggest packing a lunch.

Yep!

Prep food ahead of time so that when you get hungry, there is a fast but healthy option available.

Identifying some healthier fast-food choices (example: Chipotle kids' menu) is another thing to consider.