How can I stop my addiction to fast food? Need help...

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Agree with changing route to work. Wow, I drastically cut back when I had to go out of my way to stop by fast food places. Well, and one closed for remodeling. Plus at least two stopped selling my favorite items, so what's the point of buying crap I don't even like

Food prep - if you like something from the fast food restaurant, make your own. The awesome part is you can put your own spin on it. If there's a food item or condiment you like to have cooked into your meal or as part of your sandwich, you can make every single meal with this and enjoy it exactly the way you want all the time

If doing this cold turkey is too hard, just make better choices at the fast food restaurants. If the items you get put you over calories, think of lower calorie options before going, and if you can't, think of whether it'll be worth it. I bought McDonald's coffee and sometimes a parfait for the longest time before it just wasn't worth the time it took to stop and wait in line all the time.

But I do agree fast food is not inherently evil. If you want it, make it fit, or at least enjoy it.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Log a typical meal from a fast food joint. Easily 1000+.

The. Log an entire day of home prepped meals for the same calories.

The choice should be simple after that.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I haven't touched fast food for 16 years for one simple reason..

I used to be an auditor back then. I had to visit the site of a client to inspect their factory for various things. They showed me their factory floor while it was in operation. All I remember to this day was entire chickens, feet, beak, bones, head still on...the whole friggen bird...being tipped by the hundreds, whole into a giant funnel at one end off a conveyor belt near the ceiling. They explained that they processed the whole damn bird and made it into chicken burgers, nuggets, whatever. They seemed proud to tell me there was no wastage! They then went on to show me all the chemicals and crap added to this "meat mush" via giant vats... I was behind a mask but I could still smell it. I wanted to hurl.

They showed me their processed pork line next. At that point I asked to be excused and actually did go and hurl. What I saw doesn't bare describing. My fingers are shaking trying to type this.

The icing on the cake was when they told me who their big supply contract was with...it turns out they supplied ALL their finished products to MacDonald's. All of it. They even showed me the frozen output with MacDonald's packaging on it.

Scary thing is, this is no criticism to McD's whatsoever!! The process was clean and up to code even! No no, the thing that made me sick was learning that this is the way processed food is made. It's all just lips and *** holes, blended into a sausage product and called food. There is even an acceptable level of rat droppings that goes in.

Seriously, I would rather lick a cheese grater the wrong way than put that poison in my body lol. These days I buy whole ingredients only and make it myself.

The end.

PS: I shared this because I wondered if it might actually help give some other level of motivation to avoid fast food. Certainly did the job for me permanently...
  • joe_rdz18
    joe_rdz18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really am surprised at how there's many people out there with the same problem as me.. Reading all of your messages has really made me think about the decisions I've made towards my health, and has really motivated me to make healthier food choices, especially cutting down on fast food & switching it with better, healthier, grocery store bought foods (Which I will start doing). After all, we're all in this together, each with different goals, but walking down that same road towards a healthier you. I want to thank all of you for replying & sharing a bit about youselves & your problems towards unhealthy eating & addictions towards certain foods, & for sharing solutions, tips & recipes towards living a healthier lifestyle. I'm glad I can count on this community for help & motivations :smile:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    BunnyBomb wrote: »

I used to be an auditor back then. I had to visit the site of a client to inspect their factory for various things. They showed me their factory floor while it was in operation. All I remember to this day was entire chickens, feet, beak, bones, head still on...the whole friggen bird...being tipped by the hundreds, whole into a giant funnel at one end off a conveyor belt near the ceiling. They explained that they processed the whole damn bird and made it into chicken burgers, nuggets, whatever. They seemed proud to tell me there was no wastage! They then went on to show me all the chemicals and crap added to this "meat mush" via giant vats... I was behind a mask but I could still smell it. I wanted to hurl.

They showed me their processed pork line next. At that point I asked to be excused and actually did go and hurl. What I saw doesn't bare describing. My fingers are shaking trying to type this.

The icing on the cake was when they told me who their big supply contract was with...it turns out they supplied ALL their finished products to MacDonald's. All of it. They even showed me the frozen output with MacDonald's packaging on it.

Scary thing is, this is no criticism to McD's whatsoever!! The process was clean and up to code even! No no, the thing that made me sick was learning that this is the way processed food is made. It's all just lips and *** holes, blended into a sausage product and called food. There is even an acceptable level of rat droppings that goes in.

Seriously, I would rather lick a cheese grater the wrong way than put that poison in my body lol. These days I buy whole ingredients only and make it myself.

The end.

PS: I shared this because I wondered if it might actually help give some other level of motivation to avoid fast food. Certainly did the job for me permanently...

Hmm, so whole chicken would include any poop in the poor things?? I kinda like the no wastage though...lol

What did you see on the pork line???
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Medilia wrote: »
    I used to have the same problem - I still get burger cravings like crazy some days.

Some places will do a bunless burger which is healthier as the bun is not real bread.

I pack my lunch for work to avoid the temptation.
    I live next to a Burger hero with a 24hr maccas 2 blocks down the road. I never walk near them hungry. I will change my entire route to avoid them if I have to.

Remind yourself of your goals.

When my cravings say: It's just one burger. It won't hurt.
    I remind myself one might not. But one every day will. If I have one now I will justify another later.

Addiction is hard. I have had to kick a sugar addiction, a fast food addiction, a burger addiction. It takes time and lots of effort.

So they use 'fake' bread?
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

The end.

Hmm, so whole chicken would include any poop in the poor things?? I kinda like the no wastage though...lol

Let's just say none of the "parts" that went into the blender bore any resemblance to parts of a pig you would ever, ever find on your table at home. It was basically all the bits we would consider inedible. They even had to add colouring and thickeners to make it look like meat, because what went in...wasn't.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

The end.

Let's just say none of the "parts" that went into the blender bore any resemblance to parts of a pig you would ever, ever find on your table at home. It was basically all the bits we would consider inedible. They even had to add colouring and thickeners to make it look like meat, because what went in...wasn't.

Ah. You looked at how they make the sausage. Didn't anyone ever tell you not to!!
  • Danila_Z
    Danila_Z Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Most industrially produced "food" is designed so it's addictive. Only logical, if you think of it - there's nothing else that matters but boosting sales.

Food addiction is no different from any other form of addiction - you have to figure out what you're running away from when you're looking for that "high". Without solving that problem, your will to stay on the straight and narrow (meaning eating healthy, exercise etc.) is guaranteed to break at some point.

And the second issue is that you cannot become overweight unless some subconscious part of your mind really, really needs it to happen. It's a way to protect and isolate yourself from being hurt by other people. Food cravings aren't really cravings, they're full fledged needs - your subconscious will trick you in any possible way to make you eat fattening foods, otherwise you'll lose weight and become more vulnerable. It doesn't help trying to convince yourself that being fat exposes you to more ridicule - the subconscious has its own logic. Yo-yo dieting is the proof.

All of the gross details about how burgers etc. are made are going to fade from your memory (the subconscious is already taking care of that) in a while, and you'll be back where you started.

When you solve your underlying issues, fast food will start to taste like ****, and you wouldn't want to eat it or keep it down even if it were zero calories.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Danila_Z wrote: »
    Most industrially produced "food" is designed so it's addictive. Only logical, if you think of it - there's nothing else that matters but boosting sales.

Food addiction is no different from any other form of addiction - you have to figure out what you're running away from when you're looking for that "high". Without solving that problem, your will to stay on the straight and narrow (meaning eating healthy, exercise etc.) is guaranteed to break at some point.

And the second issue is that you cannot become overweight unless some subconscious part of your mind really, really needs it to happen. It's a way to protect and isolate yourself from being hurt by other people. Food cravings aren't really cravings, they're full fledged needs - your subconscious will trick you in any possible way to make you eat fattening foods, otherwise you'll lose weight and become more vulnerable. It doesn't help trying to convince yourself that being fat exposes you to more ridicule - the subconscious has its own logic. Yo-yo dieting is the proof.

All of the gross details about how burgers etc. are made are going to fade from your memory (the subconscious is already taking care of that) in a while, and you'll be back where you started.

When you solve your underlying issues, fast food will start to taste like ****, and you wouldn't want to eat it or keep it down even if it were zero calories.

Seems more like an underlying issue if fast food did taste like ****.
  • Danila_Z
    Options
    Actually if you read the labels and look a little into the methods employed in food industry, you figure out that fast food is basically made of ****. When it tastes like **** to you it only means that you taste it for what it is :-)
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Heroin is addictive
    Nicotine is addictive
    Food is fuel for our body. It is not addictive. You like it a lot.
    First step, remove the thinking that you have an addiction, all that does is make you feel powerless
    Plan your day, measure and weigh everything and log it. Read the stickiy threads and read them again. Look at the success stories. Ask yourself if you are ready to change your lifestyle and how much do you want it
  • Danila_Z
    Options
    Sugar is one of the most addictive substances there are.

Accepting that you have an addiction doesn't make you powerless. It's quite empowering actually: when you realize it's not your fault that you are where you are, you stop wasting your energy beating yourself up. You don't beat yourself up when you slip either. You're free to focus all your energies on healing yourself. (Beating an addiction is not just about "accepting what you can't change", but also about "changing what you cannot accept" and "having the wisdom to distinguish between the two".)

So the first step is figuring out why you became addicted, what is there in your life that's forcing you to overeat. Once you know - remove it, fix it, change it. After that losing weight is not a struggle anymore, it happens automatically.

Unless you fix the underlying cause you cannot change your lifestyle - you can struggle, make yourself and others believe that you changed. But ask yourself - are you willing to struggle for the rest of your life? Because that's the only way to ward off extra kilos, unless you figure out why you're so bent on gaining them and remove the reason for doing so.
  • treebek
    treebek Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    joe_rdz18 wrote: »
    Today was going just fine until I ate a burger from a fast food chain. I had this temptation of getting it & I couldn't resist.. I think I'm addicted to the actuall carbs, sodium, & sweets that come with a burger combo, not the actual taste. Could anybody share any ideas on how to substitute fast food with healthier meals?

Did you at least get a diet coke to go with it? I'M KIDDING! The only way is to avoid it, unfortunately. Food cravings are real, but they are not an addition.

A lot of people have already said this, but just try eating at home and not getting food to go. If you are so hungry when driving that the car starts steering itself through the drive through, trying keeping a bottle of water and healthy snacks in your car that you can grab to eat instead of fast food.

Also don't beat yourself up about it or let it detail you. It's just one meal. Get back on track and let it go.

(For me, also, weighing myself the day after I eat crap is a big motivator to avoid it because by the next day I'm usually retaining about 2-3 lbs of water and that really ticks me off)
  • joey4014
    joey4014 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The third and fourth words in your question.
  • jenblanton411
    jenblanton411 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try reading "50 Ways to Soothe Yourself without Food" by Susan Albers. I read it recently and realized how true my food addiction ways. I'm sorry for the people who say you just don't have self control. Binge Eating Disorder is now a recognized eating disorder and being unable to control what you eat is one of the symptoms. Good luck to you.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    I agree with the others who stated to just stop eating it. I personally stopped about 3 months ago now the thought of it sounds nasty. Just leave it alone for a few weeks and see how you feel about it after that. The calorie count is really not worth it either. You couldn't pay me to eat a McDonald's Burger...ok maybe you could pay me lol....but you get the point.
  • Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    watch some documentaries on netflix such as: supersize me, food inc, forks over knives, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

After watching them I can't bring myself to eat anything fast food- even if I'm starving. only exception "might" be chick fil a's chicken sandwich but thats if I'm so hungry that I'm gonna faint.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I used to eat bags 1/2 bag of potatoe chips at a time, a lot more than that 2 tablespoon of peanut butter per seving and the fast food (Mickey D's, Wendy's, Zaxby's, Pizza Hut, Cinabon, the list goes on and on..) I thought I was addicted to potatoes, crust, bread, salt and of course anything sweet.. Anything in a box, drive through fast food (it was easy and fast, can't beat that), and did I mention just easy and fast!

My diet was horrible. I did not realize any of that, until I did two weeks of logging what I ate and I was floored.. It was not addiction, it was convenience and it was right there always available.

If logging your food in the very beginning is not enough to scare you out of making really bad food choices, I do not know what will. And maybe for some, it won't do a thing, but when I saw much lunch and dinner was in calories and how much I was eating, this was enough for me. The transition was slow to wean out years of eating like this. Counting the calories was my savior.

Now I really can't stand Mickey D's (except the French fries) but I do still love pizza, peanut butter, cake, etc.. I just now have it within reason, and it is much much enjoyable because when I eat right during the day or week and get to treat my self to something I love, then it makes it all in the end much much better and for my waistline too.

• ShrinkingScientist
    ShrinkingScientist Posts: 68 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Heroin is addictive
    Nicotine is addictive
    Food is fuel for our body. It is not addictive. You like it a lot.
    First step, remove the thinking that you have an addiction, all that does is make you feel powerless
    Plan your day, measure and weigh everything and log it. Read the stickiy threads and read them again. Look at the success stories. Ask yourself if you are ready to change your lifestyle and how much do you want it

I will say from a neuroscience perspective, fast food absolutely is addictive. It triggers many of the same neurotransmitters that the drugs you mentioned trigger. Something being an addiction doesn't make one powerless over it, that's AA's verbiage. It just means there's a physiological craving for it because of the effect in the brain.

OP, I think one of the best things you can do (assuming moderation isn't an option) is to completely cut fast food out of your diet for a while.