Snack Ideas

It's been 5 weeks since I started on my new diet.

Today I found myself with about 700ish left after I had considered myself "done" and then added another 230 to that after I went to the gym. After adding another meal (which I really didn't want to because I wasn't hungry) I ended up being around 400 under my goal for today.

So I figured after 5 weeks of getting my new diet under control, I've been convinced I need to add snacks to the mix in order to not be so far under.

Any ideas? I'm not a picky eater.

Replies

• lauraebenavides
    lauraebenavides Posts: 14 Member
    Fruit, Kind bars (almond, caramel and sea salt is my favorite), peanuts, bagel with cream cheese or peanut butter (I actually use peanut-free peanut butter, it's way better for you than regular peanut butter). Also smoothies. Throw a banana, an apple, some milk and protein in a bullet ninja or blender and enjoy! Hope this helps :smile: .
  • McKittyJane
    McKittyJane Posts: 143 Member
    If you want to lose weight, there's nothing wrong being under your calorie goal (as long as you get enough nutrients for your body to provide energy). If you're dieting to lose weight, think of the MFP calorie goal the MAXIMUM amount of calories you can intake. Dont starve yourself so that youre unhappy, but once youve got enough food for the day, no need to eat just because MFP says you can. Use these leftover calories for a yummy snack if you really want it; if not, dont eat any thing else.
  • TheMainShane
    TheMainShane Posts: 23 Member
    If you want to lose weight, there's nothing wrong being under your calorie goal (as long as you get enough nutrients for your body to provide energy). If you're dieting to lose weight, think of the MFP calorie goal the MAXIMUM amount of calories you can intake. Dont starve yourself so that youre unhappy, but once youve got enough food for the day, no need to eat just because MFP says you can. Use these leftover calories for a yummy snack if you really want it; if not, dont eat any thing else.

Well my issue was being almost 1000 under. I'm all for losing weight, but I've been warned by people who have lost weight and doctors alike that losing it too quickly or not eating enough is incredibly unhealthy and puts a lot of unneeded stress on your body.
  • dgwater911
    dgwater911 Posts: 1 Member
    I have to wonder if your budgeted amount of calories is out...?

A good starting point (I found) was to figure out what your BMR (basal metabolic rate was. This is what your body needs (calories wise) in order to merely function. Calories are energy and they burn even while at rest. The bigger a person is, the higher their BMR will be, Google can tell you the formula to figure it out. For me, my BMR is right around 1500, therefore to "lose weight" I have indicated my daily goal as 1230 calories. Yes as you exercise and burn more calories, you will need to replenish. Use specifically a POST WORKOUT immediately after. There are some really fantastic BCAA (branched chain amino acid) proteins on the market that are packed with great nutrients and are focused specifically on muscle recovery!!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Lately I like to snack on a couple of fruits (right now it's 2-3 oranges), rice cakes with peanut butter + jam, baby carrots, dried dates, pumpkin seeds, miso soup...
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited February 2016
    dgwater911 wrote: »
    For me, my BMR is right around 1500, therefore to "lose weight" I have indicated my daily goal as 1230 calories. Yes as you exercise and burn more calories, you will need to replenish. Use specifically a POST WORKOUT immediately after. There are some really fantastic BCAA (branched chain amino acid) proteins on the market that are packed with great nutrients and are focused specifically on muscle recovery!!

This is not very good advice. You're not supposed to eat under your BMR for a long period, as your body will burn the BMR calories even if you were in a coma... Also there is nothing special about post workouts. :|
  • polkadot346
    polkadot346 Posts: 14 Member
    My fav snacks are: half a 2% plain Greek yogurt w 1/2 tablespoon peanut butter. Sliced and peeled Jicama with fresh lemon juice or 1 tbl hummus. Hard boiled eggs w s&p. Whole fruit. Apple sauce and cottage cheese (sounds weird but it's delicious). Kind Plus bar, lower in sugar and processed stuff, though it's easy for me to go over my goal fat percentage with nuts as snacks. I prefer throwing a few in a salad here and there. Enjoy!