vegetarian noob question

Options
2»

Replies

• skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    And I didn't mean to say that the op should call themselves a vegetarian, just that I didn't know what a lacto vegetarian was so I didn't realize there are vegetarians who eat dairy but not eggs. So I think the reason it seems more complicated to me is that not everyone will know what a lacto vegetarian is, or possibly the other labels people use.

A lot of people know these terms, surprisingly. It's also not that hard to look it up if you really don't know. It's much easier to add the labels in when you are looking for advice.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    But if someone has to look it up it doesn't seem so simple lol.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    But if someone has to look it up it doesn't seem so simple lol.

There are lots of words that have to be looked up by people who don't know them. It doesn't mean everyone should avoid using those words to make things simpler.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Well I'll just agree to disagree :)
  • hokagenoob
    hokagenoob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    And I didn't mean to say that the op should call themselves a vegetarian, just that I didn't know what a lacto vegetarian was so I didn't realize there are vegetarians who eat dairy but not eggs. So I think the reason it seems more complicated to me is that not everyone will know what a lacto vegetarian is, or possibly the other labels people use.

No problem! People all start somewhere, so it's fine it you didn't know the term, the good thing is that now you do, thanks for the advice!
  • hokagenoob
    Options
    I'm sorry lol but maybe it's just me I think all the labels are ridiculous. Vegan and vegetarian is the only ones that you need. Why bother putting further labels on yourself.

If you were planning a meal for someone (or offering them advice on whether or not a certain protein bar will fit their dietary needs), it would be helpful to know what they do and don't eat. Why is it ridiculous to have a way to refer to someone who doesn't eat meat and eggs but does eat dairy? There are situations where this information would be useful.

It's not like she's introducing the label in a discussion where it isn't germane. If she just asked "Can I eat Quest bars?" without providing the information, nobody would know what she was asking or what to tell her.

Prefix "lacto" is pretty clear for anyone to understand, but its fine guys we all learn! Thanks so much for helping me out on me question! I guess its time to stock up on quest bars:)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi there I found this article called animal ingredients in vegetarian foods on feasibility.com it goes into further detail so Check it out but here's what I got:

These are what you should look for on food labels:

Albumin- proponent of egg white
    Anchovies- fish
    Animal shortening-butter, suet, lard
    Calcium stearate- mineral from cow/hog
    Capric acid-(decanoic acid) animal fat
    Clarifying agent-animal based
    Gelatin/gelatins- protein from bones/cartilage
    Isinglass- gelatin from fish bladder
    Lanolin-sheep waxy fat
    Lard- pork fat
    Lutein- egg yolk
    Myristic acid- animal fats
    Pancreatin- cow/hog
    Pepsin-enzyme from pig stomache
    Rennin/rennet-enzyme from calf stomach
    Stearic acid-tallow/animal fat
    Suet- hard animal fat
    Whey- by product of cheese making process coming from rennet

You will have to read the labels very carefully now if avoiding egg. Some labels will say: contains or manufactured on equipment with trace amounts of nuts/ wheat/ milk/ eggs/ soy or otherwise will say : contains no egg/ dairy/ soy/ gluten on some products.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Hi there I found this article called animal ingredients in vegetarian foods on feasibility.com it goes into further detail so Check it out but here's what I got:

Anchovies- fish
    Lanolin-sheep waxy fat
    Lard- pork fat
    Lutein- egg yolk
    Pancreatin- cow/hog
    Suet- hard animal fat

You will have to read the labels very carefully now if avoiding egg. Some labels will say: contains or manufactured on equipment with trace amounts of nuts/ wheat/ milk/ eggs/ soy or otherwise will say : contains no egg/ dairy/ soy/ gluten on some products.

Generally the "trace amounts" warning is for people with allergies, not vegetarians/vegans.
  • janejellyroll
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Vegetarians only avoid meat so I doubt there is meat in protein bars. You're probably safe.

Epic, Julian Bakery, Bulletproof, Wild Zora, Tanka, Bricks, Fori, Wilde, and Steve's Paleogoods bars are the only ones to be concerned about. Most of them are clearly labeled.

Anchovies- fish
    Lanolin-sheep waxy fat
    Lard- pork fat
    Lutein- egg yolk
    Pancreatin- cow/hog
    Suet- hard animal fat

Generally the "trace amounts" warning is for people with allergies, not vegetarians/vegans.

Yeah, seconded. I have a few food allergies, and the trace amounts tend to be so insignificant that I'm not bothered by it (unless it's dealing with cashews or food coloring).

I believe OP also avoids eggs (not that it matters for Quest bars, just clarifying).
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, why are you ok with lacto but not ovo?

Not flaming, just trying to wrap my head around the rationale. I'm also curious about the converse. Some will eat eggs but not dairy. Neither position makes sense to me, maybe there is something that I don't know.

• hokagenoob
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, why are you ok with lacto but not ovo?

Not flaming, just trying to wrap my head around the rationale. I'm also curious about the converse. Some will eat eggs but not dairy. Neither position makes sense to me, maybe there is something that I don't know.

Its a very silly story actually. Just one night I found out about and learned about the starch solution and started to attempt it and then since its kind of a vegan approach, meaning I had to buy soy milk and almond milk if I wanted cereal but I live with my family and we use low fat milk and its a whole lot cheaper if I just use that milk so that'swhy i only comune dairy not eggs haha. I have no cravings for it anyways so ya:p