Help! Need to survive pancake dat

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It's very easy to fit crepes in your day though. Heck I make myself some savory crepes for breakfast all the time.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Not Catholic and we don't celebrate Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras in my area. But I fit pancakes in every weekend and feel I can do that today in a show of solidarity with y'all.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Out of interest, is pancake day something unique to us Brits or do you have it in other parts of the world too? I mean it's one of the best holidays :p

We don't call it pancake day in the US, we call it mardi gras, but we do sometimes eat pancakes on it, since the whole idea is it's the last hurrah of fatty foods before Lent... or more commonly, we eat King's Cake, which is a delicious coffee cake with purple/green/yellow sugar glaze. There's a baby figurine inside, and the person who finds it is variously supposed to have good luck, be the king/queen of the day, or be responsible for the cake next year.

I assume it's about a zillion calories, but I'm still going to have some today.
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Yogurt and fruit filling. Yum.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    edited February 2016
    I had 3 for breakfast- was a nice treat as my boyfriend made them for me. I logged as best I could considering someone else made them.

For my 3; 40g plain flour (136 cals), 75ml semi skimmed milk (38cals), 85g egg (122 cals) came to just under 300 calories.

Obviously you have to add calories to that for toppings but if you're careful (and maybe dont eat 3 like I did haha) they can be pretty easy to fit into your daily goal :) My personal favourite toppings are pistachio, raspberry and maple syrup. And it only bought my total for the meal up to 460 cals! :)

Another idea as others have suggested is savoury fillings- spinach and low fat cream cheese (maybe with some mushrooms and garlic) is great :)

ETA: The final calorie amount is a bit of an underestimate by the way- boyfriend is a chef so cooked the pancakes in butter, and I wasn't about to get him to weigh it out haha. But oh well, it's only one day :)
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    edited February 2016
    Dreven1989 wrote: »
    Any tips much appreciated.

here are some crepes that are certainly anything but ordinary. Any of them can be adapted for lower calorie, if that's your choosing.

1325195908.jpg
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    We make a slightly thicker version of crepes at our house. I top them with 2 cups of raspberries boiled down with 1/4 c sugar (you could use less too). They are delicious and three of them, with the topping is only around 300 calories.
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    I'm going to enjoy my pancakes with some bananas and nutella. I have an extra excuse, it's also my birthday! So substituting cake for pancakes! Can't wait to get home :)
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    The tradition here is paczki...pretty much a jelly donut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%85czki

Tried them last year IIRC...not worth it IMO.

These thin pancakes with lemon and sugar sound much better. :)
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    We don't call it pancake day in the US, we call it mardi gras, but we do sometimes eat pancakes on it, since the whole idea is it's the last hurrah of fatty foods before Lent... or more commonly, we eat King's Cake, which is a delicious coffee cake with purple/green/yellow sugar glaze. There's a baby figurine inside, and the person who finds it is variously supposed to have good luck, be the king/queen of the day, or be responsible for the cake next year.

And here I was thinking Mardi Gras was just a reason to get drunk and give strangers a peep show.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    OK, so I'm assuming those who have never heard of it are either
    a) not catholic, or
    b) from cultures who celebrate in a different way.
    I am assuming you've all heard of Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras is also Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday. Day before Ash Wednesday, the start of Catholic Lent.

I was raised Catholic in the US in Massachusetts, and while we celebrated Mardi Gras, we didn't do it with pancakes.
  • kshama2001
    I made banana pancakes for my partner, they are great and with only two ingredients were diet friendly for me! I topped mine with some agave nectar and berries to keep them fairly low calorie - http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-2-ingredient-banana-pancakes-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-218658

My fiance refers to these banana pancakes as PINOs - Pancakes in Name Only.
  • kshama2001
    Out of interest, is pancake day something unique to us Brits or do you have it in other parts of the world too? I mean it's one of the best holidays :p

I told my fiance this is what you brits do for Mardis Gras and he said, "That's subdued." :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    The whole King Cake/Mardi gras thing kinda baffles me.

In France King Cake (Galette des Rois) is eaten on January 6th. It's to celebrate the Epiphany. It has nothing to do with Mardi Gras. It's a puff pastry cake with frangipane (almond paste) in the middle and a little toy that someone has to find (and they get to wear the crown). Also probably my favorite food ever.

Also, when I grew up, on Mardi Gras we used to wear costumes and eat crepes (and throw eggs at stuff, granted). Don't know what they do there nowadays though.

Anyway, I had crepes this morning, they're only 110 calories plain so I was able to still keep brunch under 600 calories with 3 of them (ham/cheese, homemade strawberry jam, and Nutella, but I like tasting the crepe so I always go light on the toppings). Delicious and 33g of protein (I used half whole wheat flour).
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    aim_3 wrote: »

And here I was thinking Mardi Gras was just a reason to get drunk and give strangers a peep show.

i mean.... thats every saturday night in my world ;) LOLOLOLOL

and breakfast time! i didnt eat it all but i tried LOLOLOLOL

z8jcbdjkt8s7.jpg
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    I always said to myself, even when dieting I would never be a kill joy. So the girlfriend wants to celebrate pancake day with crepes for dinner, any tips to help me keep under my calories and survive this random holiday.

Ah crap I had no idea today was Pancake Tuesday!! Now I really want pancakes. There's loads of recipes with using cream cheese and egg whites that won't ruin your diet. As long as you fit the macros/calories in your day you'll be fine!

I think I'm going to try this one: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I always said to myself, even when dieting I would never be a kill joy. So the girlfriend wants to celebrate pancake day with crepes for dinner, any tips to help me keep under my calories and survive this random holiday.

Ah crap I had no idea today was Pancake Tuesday!! Now I really want pancakes. There's loads of recipes with using cream cheese and egg whites that won't ruin your diet. As long as you fit the macros/calories in your day you'll be fine!

I think I'm going to try this one: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html

Bleaurgh ....waste of calories if you ask me
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    If you're properly following the tradition, you should be fasting tomorrow. So it should all even out.

People ate eggs and flour and butter on Fat (Shrove) Tuesday because those foods were traditionally barred during Lent (though not any more).
  • natashadonald12
    natashadonald12 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm having my pancakes as a treat tonight but having them with banana and a little dark chocolate melted on top. There are also lots of healthy recipes on the Internet for pancakes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    If you're properly following the tradition, you should be fasting tomorrow. So it should all even out.

People ate eggs and flour and butter on Fat (Shrove) Tuesday because those foods were traditionally barred during Lent (though not any more).

I pick and choose

I'm up for turkey, trees and pancakes but not up for fasting nor hypocrisy

Works for us