Hello

Options
Hey, I'm trying my best to make the most out of this app so thought I'd come say hello.

I'm a serial returner to my fitness pal. I've always wanted to lose weight but I've never had the will power. It's always been one excuse after another on why I can't.

However this time I am determined. I started doing regular exercise a month ago and last week I rejoined and started making changes to my diet. The slow and steady approach seems to be working as I've lost 4lb so far. I know it's not a lot but it's a real achievement for me.

And that's my story so far.

Replies

• fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hello

First of all well done for making the change, secondly well done on losing some weight too....

I have been a fat lad most my adult life, never bothered with exercise, I was happy big, never bothered me......but I had a car crash 6 yrs ago and I ballooned so though its time I started shifting some of it.....

I started slow, very slow in fact, and I continue to do things slowly.....nothing wrong with slow in my opinion...

In fact I believe it’s the best way to achieve weight loss over yrs rather than a quick fix....

My mind works differently to most, so I look at things a bit differently......for me it took years to put all my weight on, and to get as unhealthy as I was / am so it will take years to put it right again ....

My philosophy is that if I do better this year than I did last year then I am doing things right.....making things better....

With regards to food and exercise.........I too have used MFP on off for 6 yrs now, and I was guilty of it too, but you see people coming in eager as hell to shift weight, so they cut their food intake back drastically then they also add exercise too, after a week or 3 this makes them bloody hungry and then they binge and fail, and then the emotions kick in and they quit, thinking it’s too hard.......

For me I say take it 1 month at a time.....so in the first month eat as you have always eaten before, and log it......get used to how MFP works and get a base set for how you use to eat, then look at your diary, after a month on here, you should have an idea of how you food works, what’s good for calories etc, you can also hopefully see where your problems lie in your diet, pick 1 or 2 small things to change (like halving the bread you eat each week, of cutting soda out and going to water, or by cutting out that choccy bar you eat each day at lunch or the like...) then stick at that for a month, let your body get used to the changes you are making, then one happy you’re not starving all day, cut something else, and so on, by taking the changes slowly, your body gets used to it, and then you also form a habit, so it becomes the norm to eat porridge for breaky instead of a bacon roll etc.......after 6 months the changes you've made should also be showing on the scales, even if only small changes.....if I lost 1lb a month every month for a year I would be very happy, as I plan on doing this for ever, not just a 6 week or 6 month diet fad etc......

As for exercise.....

I have struggled here due to health issues, and 2 bad car crashes, so again I have had to take things slowly......again in the beginning I would want to get cracking, start jogging on my treadmill and walking for an hour at fast pace....thinking I can only be doing good.......then I would either get shin splints, or my back would go (had back issues since age 17)...this would then set me back while I recovered etc, then its start again....and the cycle continues......

Last year I decided to start the couch 2 5 K running program.....

Beforehand I took some advice of people who said to start with go SLOW, get yourself to walking speed as fast as you can, then just add a little to break into a jog, and stick at this pace....NO FASTER.......and then follow the program, this builds your body up cardio wise and gives you minimal impact issues...........but what I also did due to my recurring shin splints was before I started the program, I just walked every day for 30 minutes on the treadmill at a steady pace.......

This got my shins strong enough so that when I started running I got no pain.......

If you’re not able to run / jog yet then that’s fine.......walking is probably the best way to get moving and is less painful on joints etc.....

Set aside 15 minutes every day for a walk, then after 2 weeks make that 30 minutes......but listen to your body, it in pain stop, if you’re tired....suck it up and get moving....lol.......that hard bit is sticking to the routine you set yourself, make it so it’s not too overwhelming make it easy in the beginning.....get yourself used to the changes you’re going to make then make sure you stick to it....

Only you can make it happen.....

Good luck with your journey...hope you stick at it....
  • Overlover
    Overlover Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

I've had similar experiences in the past, I'd do too much at once and then just give in. I also have some health issues which can interfere with exercise. But as you suggested I've been doing 15 mins a day and it's really helped. I've found that it's not too much and it's allowed me to get into a routine as 15 mins is nothing. Just got to get the food sorted now.

Thank you once again and the best of luck for your journey
  • hellinger01
    hellinger01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello, I too am a serial returner to MFP and due to some health scares with my BP and cholesterol I have no choice but to lose weight! Plus I'm a mother of an 18,11,and 2 yr old so they need me around. I hate exercising but I'm determined to do at least 30 minutes a day to start. I'm an emotional eater so that's what makes it the hardest for me. I'm blessed with horrible genes on both sides of my family health wise, plus I want my kids to learn good eating habits so they don't have to deal with what I'm going through! Good luck to you both on your journey!