Farmer Walk Alternatives

Options
I've googled this question and not come up with any suggestions, can someone please tell me what would be a good alternative to farmer walks? My gym doesn't have anywhere long and clear enough to do this. And carrying heavy enough weight on a treadmill means I struggle to then reach up to the console to switch it off when I'm done without dropping the weight on the belt.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Can you not walk round the gym? Does it have to be a straight stretch? I often see people walking round and in between carrying heavy dumbbells
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have a small gym..i carry them up and down and around the room best I can..I set the stop watch for whatever mins I need, 5, etc...used to open the side door and go out onto the sidewalk and parking lot...I even go in the bathroom sometimes..Farmer Walks are very good to do
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    My gym is very cluttered, it's quite an obstacle course. Might just be better to use my weights at home and go up and down the stairs repeatedly.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There's no space between machines or anything?

I do farmer's walks in a square around my daughter's play area in the basement. I take 4-6 steps, turn, 4-6 steps, turn 4-6 steps, turn, etc.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    No, all the machines are bunched up together. It's a small gym with an awful lot of things.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Try stepping/marching in place with the weights.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't get on a treadmill with weights, and I'm not sure I'd go up and down stairs with them. Maybe I'm too safety conscious, and protective of my knees.

This guy offers some alternatives-
    http://www.andrewheming.com/2015/05/the-best-alternative-to-farmers-walks.html
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't get on a treadmill with weights, and I'm not sure I'd go up and down stairs with them. Maybe I'm too safety conscious, and protective of my knees.

This guy offers some alternatives-
    http://www.andrewheming.com/2015/05/the-best-alternative-to-farmers-walks.html

I second skipping the treadmill. I think you would end up being the star in one of those YouTube gym fail videos.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Buy a weighted vest and just walk around the neighborhood, treadmill, etc.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lunges