Farmer Walk Alternatives

I've googled this question and not come up with any suggestions, can someone please tell me what would be a good alternative to farmer walks? My gym doesn't have anywhere long and clear enough to do this. And carrying heavy enough weight on a treadmill means I struggle to then reach up to the console to switch it off when I'm done without dropping the weight on the belt.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Can you not walk round the gym? Does it have to be a straight stretch? I often see people walking round and in between carrying heavy dumbbells
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    I have a small gym..i carry them up and down and around the room best I can..I set the stop watch for whatever mins I need, 5, etc...used to open the side door and go out onto the sidewalk and parking lot...I even go in the bathroom sometimes..Farmer Walks are very good to do
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    My gym is very cluttered, it's quite an obstacle course. Might just be better to use my weights at home and go up and down the stairs repeatedly.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    There's no space between machines or anything?

I do farmer's walks in a square around my daughter's play area in the basement. I take 4-6 steps, turn, 4-6 steps, turn 4-6 steps, turn, etc.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    No, all the machines are bunched up together. It's a small gym with an awful lot of things.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Try stepping/marching in place with the weights.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I definitely wouldn't get on a treadmill with weights, and I'm not sure I'd go up and down stairs with them. Maybe I'm too safety conscious, and protective of my knees.

This guy offers some alternatives-
    http://www.andrewheming.com/2015/05/the-best-alternative-to-farmers-walks.html
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I definitely wouldn't get on a treadmill with weights, and I'm not sure I'd go up and down stairs with them. Maybe I'm too safety conscious, and protective of my knees.

This guy offers some alternatives-
    http://www.andrewheming.com/2015/05/the-best-alternative-to-farmers-walks.html

I second skipping the treadmill. I think you would end up being the star in one of those YouTube gym fail videos.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Buy a weighted vest and just walk around the neighborhood, treadmill, etc.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Lunges