Confused.

Options
I average around 1000_1200 per day, fairly active but my estimated loss is showing a 4lb gain projection? Bit confused.....

Replies

• Greenbirdsmom
    Greenbirdsmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You are probably not eating enough just my thought
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    What is your gender, height and weight? What did you answer to the question asking how much you wanted to lose each week? What did you set as your activity level? How many calories did MFP suggest you eat each day?
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options

No. Not eating enough means you will definitely not gain weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

No. Not eating enough means you will definitely not gain weight.

The post is a little confusing but it doesn't say weight was gained. It says weight gain is projected.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    There are a couple things that need to be considered: How long have you been trying to lose weight at that calorie range? Have you recently incorporated exercise? Are you using a food scale? I can say with all honestly, the BIGGEST reason people aren't able to lose weight is probably that they are either NOT logging everything that they put in their mouth or they are GROSSLY underestimating the calorie counts of the food they are logging. BUT: "not eating enough" is NOT the answer. Starvation mode doesn't exist.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The only way MFP would say you're going to gain weight at that low of a calorie intake, would be mostly likely if the numbers you entered into MFP were incorrect.

Editted to add, that 4lb in 5 weeks is almost a pound a week. Which is eating almost 500 calories over your maintenance every single day.
  • zbhgibson72
    zbhgibson72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Logging everything,exercising minimum 8 times per week...10 lbs away from target weight. Average cals are 1000 per day....and exact measurements/weighing....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Logging everything,exercising minimum 8 times per week...10 lbs away from target weight. Average cals are 1000 per day....and exact measurements/weighing....

I'm still not sure what you are asking exactly. Who/what is projecting that you will gain 4 lbs??
  • zbhgibson72
    Options
    When I complete my entry for that day it says that in 5 weeks will have gained 4lbs.....I'm confused as to why that's possible ...
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    When I complete my entry for that day it says that in 5 weeks will have gained 4lbs.....I'm confused as to why that's possible ...

Either MFP is playing up, or somewhere the stats you have entered are wrong.
  • jakeziskin1
    jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

You messed something up that's all. Wow 1000 a day awesome and I try to do the gym 8-10xs a week. Twice a days usually. How do you get over night hunger? I feel I can eat 1000 all day and I'm fine but come 11-12am at night I'm starving. Any supplements or teas you take to stop cravings?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

As others have said, check the stats you entered. If they aren't way off, and you actually logged something like 1100 calories and got gain 4 lbs, then there is a bug and you should notify MFP's service people.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I try to do the gym 8-10xs a week. Twice a days usually. How do you get over night hunger? I feel I can eat 1000 all day and I'm fine but come 11-12am at night I'm starving. Any supplements or teas you take to stop cravings?

You'll be hungry because 1000 calories a day is not nearly enough, especially if you are going to the gym sometimes twice a day...
  • zbhgibson72
    Options
    Veg bullion and fage (not together! ) keep cravings at bay and I'm usually in bed for 10 pm so no need worry bout night time cravings..... :)
    I've checked what I've entered. ...I suspect it must be a blip with MFP......thanks for the help...xx
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Please answer these questions, as well as your age.
    What is your gender, height and weight? What did you answer to the question asking how much you wanted to lose each week? What did you set as your activity level? How many calories did MFP suggest you eat each day?

And check your diet profile in your settings. You may have set mfp to gain, not lose.

Do you weigh and log all the foods that you eat? If your diary isn't set to public, please do so. Thanks. 1000 calories is faaaaaaaaar too little.. Even teenagers need more calories.

You messed something up that's all. Wow 1000 a day awesome and I try to do the gym 8-10xs a week. Twice a days usually. How do you get over night hunger? I feel I can eat 1000 all day and I'm fine but come 11-12am at night I'm starving. Any supplements or teas you take to stop cravings?
    NO! 1000 calories is NOT awesome! It's starvation and VLCD. You don't need to starve to lose weight, okay? Stop before you get very sick. @jakeziskin1
  • zbhgibson72
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Female. 5ft7" current weight 12st 2 lbs. I answered 2lbs per week. So trying stick between 1200-1000 to achieve this....surely 1-2lbs per week is a safe amount? And I'm 43!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Female. 5ft7" current weight 12st 2 lbs. I answered 2lbs per week. So trying stick between 1200-1000 to achieve this....surely 1-2lbs per week is a safe amount?
    According to the BMI chart, you're still in the healthy zone at 170lbs and 5'7", so a 2lb loss per week is a little extreme. Change it to .5-1lb per week. How much are you looking to lose? Did MFP give you 1000-1200 calories?

Perhaps a body Recomp would be better for you?

The scooby's workshop calculator states your BMR is around 1600...
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    surely 1-2lbs per week is a safe amount?

Yes, at your weight many will suggest closer to 1 lb /week.
    So trying stick between 1200-1000 to achieve this

This is not. Plus you should eat back at least half your exercise calories.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options

Every day, even when netting 1000-1200? Or just one day, when you happened to go substantially over your calorie goal? The number you get on the daily projection is based on just that one day, and assumes you eat like that every day. So it's a crummy crystal ball, unless you eat the same way every day.

If you're getting the incorrectly high projection every day, even when you eat 1000-1200 (which I agree with others is too low for you) and record your exercise accurately, then your settings must be wrong - current, weight, activity level, or somesuch).

BTW, I'm 60 years old, 2" shorter than you, hypothyroid (controlled) and was still losing at least 0.5lb/week at 1500-1600 (when I weighed high 120s to mid 130s pounds) while eating back all my (conservatively estimated) exercise. I may be lucky, but you're taller, younger, and (it sounds like) currently heavier.

Please eat more, and eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories, and see how that goes for a few weeks. We want you to stay strong and healthy, and be able to stick with this long enough to achieve your goals.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Female. 5ft7" current weight 12st 2 lbs. I answered 2lbs per week. So trying stick between 1200-1000 to achieve this....surely 1-2lbs per week is a safe amount? And I'm 43!!

Whoa! You are 5'7" and eating 1000 calories per day. That is crazy. I'm older and shorter than you and lost eating about 1500 per day.