How many calories lost??

When I put in what type of excercise i did in my diary, it asks me how many calories i burned...not sure how im supposed to know that.

Replies

• 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    The only way you'll know that is if you're wearing some type of heart rate monitor. If you enter under cardio instead of strength, it will calculate it for you. But be advised, it's just an approximation. Invest in a HRM to be more accurate on calories burned. They are worth it
  • kerig1234
    kerig1234 Posts: 36 Member
    4aces61 wrote: »
    The only way you'll know that is if you're wearing some type of heart rate monitor. If you enter under cardio instead of strength, it will calculate it for you. But be advised, it's just an approximation. Invest in a HRM to be more accurate on calories burned. They are worth it

I have a garmin vivo smart, but I cant imagine how the calories burned is accurate on that. Its not the heart rate kind.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    What type of exercise?
    How are you entering it?

(HRM could be totally useless or there could be better options depending on your particular exercise.)
  • kerig1234
    sijomial wrote: »
    What type of exercise?
    How are you entering it?

(HRM could be totally useless or there could be better options depending on your particular exercise.)

Under my diary, add excercise cardiovascular
  • sijomial
    What kind of exercise specifically are you adding?
    Walking, running, cycling......
  • kerig1234

I did a 5 min HIIT workout, tried to do it twice but didnt make it . So a total of 7 minutes,
  • sijomial
    HRMs are useless for HIIT calorie estimates - will be dreadfully over-exaggerated.

Just log duration under circuit training or one of the aerobic categories. It won't be a very significant number at all for such a short duration.

Are you sure you wouldn't be better off building up your fitness before doing HIIT?
  • kerig1234
    HRMs are useless for HIIT calorie estimates - will be dreadfully over-exaggerated.

Just log duration under circuit training or one of the aerobic categories. It won't be a very significant number at all for such a short duration.

Are you sure you wouldn't be better off building up your fitness before doing HIIT?

Lol your probably right! I have a habbit of jumping right in with gusto! But I probably should build up.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    kerig1234 wrote: »

I did a 5 min HIIT workout, tried to do it twice but didnt make it . So a total of 7 minutes,

7 min HIIT ...30 to 50 cals I reckon

Clearly your weight and intensity will impact
  • Sued0nim
    4aces61 wrote: »

Only for steady state cardio

For anything else,next to useless
  • kerig1234
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I just deleted my diary entry, and started over....i entered high impact arobics and it calculated for 7 min 75 calories lost
  • Sued0nim
    What kind of eaxercise specifically are you adding?

I just deleted my diary entry, and started over....i entered high impact arobics and it calculated for 7 min 75 calories lost

Conventional MFP wisdom says to only take 50-75% of MFP database estimates and judge over time against your weight loss
    Because the database is full of overestimates

You can double click on calories before entering it
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member

That seems extremely high!
  • kerig1234

75 calories seems high?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

75 calories seems high?

For a 7 minute workout? Yup. I'd log it at 40-50 and call it a day. I find low intensity, steady state cardio easier for burning large quantities of calories because I can do it longer. Some people get bored to tears, but I don't mind.
  • kerig1234
    auddii wrote: »

75 calories seems high?

For a 7 minute workout? Yup. I'd log it at 40-50 and call it a day. I find low intensity, steady state cardio easier for burning large quantities of calories because I can do it longer. Some people get bored to tears, but I don't mind.

I am one of those people who get extremely board and need something different.....but i will work in some longer lower intensity workouts also....thank you kindly