Downsizing and living off one income intentionally. Have you done it? How did it work for you?

Options
whouwannab
whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
I feel like I am missing out on so much with my kids. I also just feel like this is a rat race, just to maintain our current lifestyle. Have you moved into a smaller home? Reduced your living expenses by eliminating non-necessities? Positives? Negatives? Please advise.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm a single parent and I don't get child support or government assistance. I drive a car that I paid off, I have almost no debt. I have a very old phone with basic functions. We don't have cable at home. We rarely eat out and only when we have coupons or free meals. We keep lights off, we keep everything unplugged until it is needed, we only buy absolute necessities. I learned how to cook big and cheap meals. I ask for gift cards for holidays. I did buy a house that's only as big as we need and it actually saved me compared to the rent we were paying. I don't ever go to the salon and the boys get their hair cut at great clips with a coupon.

Dave Ramsey has tons of articles about budgeting and living off a tight income.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Well, my situation is a little different than yours. We have no kids, but we're in extreme saving mode on a limited income, so we're still tight on cash. We have put off doing a lot of things, vacations, new cars, bigger house, etc. We coupon, wait for sales, and don't buy things that we don't need. Luxury items are a no no. It's hard, but we know that it will be worth it in the end. You have to decide for yourself. What's more important to your kids, making memories or having the nicest shoes and the newest toys? How much will you have to cut out to be able to be a stay at home parent? Is it more feasible to go part time instead of quit entirely? What are your children going to gain by someone being home with them? What are they going to lose from having less money?
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If you feel as though you are missing out on so much with your kids, then you probably are. I chose, many years ago to be a stay at home Mom. I have NEVER regretted it. Those kids are young for such a very short 18-20 years. When they are grown and gone like mine are now, you will be a much happier Mom if you know in your heart that you chose what felt right for you. I spend a lot of time now with my grandkids and they are always asking can we go to Mama and Papa O's house. They do this because we give them time, not just "stuff". Some people like stuff, some people like time with those they care for. It is really your choice.
  • LindsayB072
    LindsayB072 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My situation is different since I don't have kids. I went from engaged and living with someone who made a really good salary to living on my own and relying on just my income. I don't eat out or go out really ever, I do all of my groceries in spurts (so like twice a week rather than one huge bulk shopping trip once a month) so that nothing goes to waste. I have 2 cars, but one is paid off in full so my car payment is affordable. I don't really go shopping or "treat myself."
    My mom was a stay at home mom through me being in high school. We went without fancy vacations and designer clothes but the quality time I got with my mom and my mom never missing a soccer game was more worth it to us.
    Do whatever is best for your family.
    Worse come to worst, if it doesn't work, you can always get a job again.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi. I gave birth to our first child Dec. 30th, 2015. Prior to this I was working in a very demanding profession and although I made a very good income and spent 13 years in university to get to where I was I was miserable. The few female colleagues I did have only took 2-4 weeks of mat leave with their children and have had nannies ever since. One of them even has 3 nannies (a day nanny and 2 night nannies). This is not at all what I or my husband wanted for our family. So we made the decision early on that once I gave birth I would not be returning to work and we would be living solely off my husbands income. We also hope to have 2 more children and will be trying for the next soon. Fortunately there isn't too much about our lifestyle we will have to change, we aren't big spenders at all. We took stock of extra expenses and really our weekly food budget and amount spent on supplements (protein powder, bars, vitamins) is mainly what money is spent on. We don't spend money on clothes or frivolous items. There are things that we have always done to not waste money such as we never buy coffee or food at work always bring our own (a daily starbucks can add up to 100$ a month, and buying lunch or snacks can be even more), we make sure we do as much as possible in the house during "off-peak" hydro hours (we live in an area where hydro is double the price during certain hours), getting rid of all unnecessary bank fee's, insurance fee's etc. (I actually got rid of 150$ per month of expenses this way... who knew I was giving all my money to the bank for no reason... well my husband did, but I'm very ignorant to all these hidden charges etc.) and pay off your credit cards every month don't let there be a balance for interest. After seeing how much I spend on groceries I really pay attention to prices at the store now, I used to just grab what ever I wanted. Once I started doing that I cut our weekly grocery bill by 100$. I buy more canned beans and things like that, stopped buying fancy new marinades and sauces every week (really I was spending like 20 dollars a week on that stuff and then accumulating like 20 in our fridge), buying produce that was on sale that week or less expensive ( I wanted asparagus last week and went to grab it and then noticed it was 10$, this week it was only 3$, go figure), looking for sale items etc. There are certain things we won't change though like buying organic, local, hormone free meats (they are totally worth the price), and buying our sports supplements and stuff. The best thing is to just go through your expenses and see where you are spending money and how to cut things down. We printed out all our credit card statements and account statements for a year and went through them all.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing you'll have to deal with is the abrupt loss of affordability in dining out. If your partner is earning in the 60th percentile for your area you can afford to live on one income.
  • CherieQ72
    CherieQ72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We are a one income family with 3 kids. My husband is a stay at home Dad, it made much more sense for him to be the at home parent because I make more money and have good benefits etc. We have 2 vehicles but one is paid for. We carry no debt, we can't afford to. We don't have takeaway very often, we don't spend thousands on vacations, we go camping instead. We look on kijiji before buying in a store whenever possible. Like everyone else has said, it's about choices.
    Probably one of the best pieces of advice I can give you is a year down the road, when things are financially difficult....again....that it will pass. This time of hardship is temporary. Remember your choice and why you made it. You are giving your children the gift of your time until they are grown. Then crack open that box of KD and dig in lol
    OH and do your bday, christmas etc shopping early! the earlier the better!
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    we chose to go one income when my kids were little. We live in a smaller house so less housing and heating costs and have to watch expenses like eating out and vacations but for us its been worth it. We camp instead of big trips etc.
  • Muzak1
    Muzak1 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have been blessed to be able to make it all work on one salary. 3 tuitions right now. The price of that is to work until later in life and forgo some vacations and other material things although we do live in a great home.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My husband was making a little more than double my salary when the company I worked for shut down unexpectedly. Although I wish I had notice so i could've saved more before losing my job we were okay. I was home in the afternoon when the school bus came which was very cool. I was able to cook at home a lot more, thus forfeiting the eating out bill. Wasn't spending gas on commuting. It worked out. I always used coupons before so it was no big change as well as shopping at Goodwill on occasion. I just became more cognizant when I shopped for needs vs wants.
    I recently went back to work but it was on my terms. I don't work weekends, I don't work nights, My commute is 10 miles each way and I get off at 5:30 everyday. I took a pretty decent pay cut but I get a lot in return that the higher paying job didn't give me. losing that job really put what's important in perspective.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    It made no sense for me to go back to work after the birth of our son since my salary would basically pay for childcare. So we survive on one income. We are not the norm as hubs makes a very good salary and we are able to afford vacations and whatnot but if you can afford to stay home with the kids do it. If you are home making meals and such you can easily cut costs but making more home cooked stuff and you don't need work clothes the mom uniform of t shirt and jeans is super easy.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to work on something like this, myself. I realized recently that I can keep living check to check forever and probably be just fine, or I can start putting the work in now to build my nest egg and ensure that I am secure in the future. I'm planning on downsizing significantly and setting aside at least 1/3rd of my income as savings toward a house, which I will then use as a rental property, and after a couple more years of saving I'll repeat the process until I have a revenue stream that can support me without working.
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I was working, and had a wife and daughter, I took the approach that one of us (me) would put in the time to make the "dime" , so that both of us didn't have to live to work. This allowed my wife to finish her degrees, and get a comfortable job (she still wanted to work) that was only 36 hours / week with very good vacation / holiday time off...no weekends. This allowed her to spend more time with our daughter. This worked well for us. After I retired, my non-investment income (the only one as we divorced and I remarried someone whom didn't work), is half of what I once earned. However, it is still substantial enough to give us a comfortable life in Florida. I've found you don't need all the trappings you thought you needed. Visiting family in other states, or them visiting us is our vacations; we eat well, but don't waste money on eating out a lot or on expensive food items, and we drive a car we purchased new, but no longer a Mercedes. Bottom line for me was my realization that I could have retired to this life sooner and didn't need the salary I once made, and could have saved more money along the way if we had realized what was important and what really wasn't.
  • Bubba1922
    Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am now retired and have been forced to downsize my expenses. I wish I had done it years ago.

Face cream - I now buy low cost cream/ ointment - The skin is like a piece of leather and any kind of cream works - three years on and my skin is as good as when I was using a top brand. Wasted money on top brands for years.

Face and body Scrub - best scrub ever is granulated sugar - amazing soft skin - wet body and rub until skin is warm and then shower. That shop stuff can cost loads and does not work as well.

Clothes, household stuff. I always ask myself - do I need it? have I got one already? Why buy another pair of jeans when you have got six pairs in the wardrobe.

Food - I make loads of fresh soups in my pressure cooker - soup and omette to follow are favourite in our household,nourishing additives free and cheap.

I love spending less without feeling my lifestyle has been compromised. People matters not stuff.

• Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Bubba1922 wrote: »
    I am now retired and have been forced to downsize my expenses. I wish I had done it years ago.

Face cream - I now buy low cost cream/ ointment - The skin is like a piece of leather and any kind of cream works - three years on and my skin is as good as when I was using a top brand. Wasted money on top brands for years.

Face and body Scrub - best scrub ever is granulated sugar - amazing soft skin - wet body and rub until skin is warm and then shower. That shop stuff can cost loads and does not work as well.

Clothes, household stuff. I always ask myself - do I need it? have I got one already? Why buy another pair of jeans when you have got six pairs in the wardrobe.

Food - I make loads of fresh soups in my pressure cooker - soup and omette to follow are favourite in our household,nourishing additives free and cheap.

I love spending less without feeling my lifestyle has been compromised. People matters not stuff.

I love love love coconut oil for just about everything, make up remover, moisturizer, deodorant, cooking, healing skin wounds, sunburn, so many uses AND ITS CHEAP
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's feedback, especially those who have retired and how they have adjusted their lifestyles. I think maybe one of the first things I need to do is start cutting non-essentials and just seeing how much money we can save this year. I have all ways loved the challenge of finding things on clearance or finding cheaper alternatives. Maybe going to part time makes more sense than completely cutting our income in half by not working at all. Good stuff.
  • daveclrk5858
    daveclrk5858 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great thread and nobody is trying to hook up, haha.

I just recently left my job to start my own business venture. Luckily my wife makes good money so if the original posters husband makes good money then it may be less of a stretch. Time with the kids is precious and I applaud you for doing it!
  • RunningBuryBlue
    RunningBuryBlue Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's a very interesting question with no right or wrong answer. All depends on your values and also the needs of the family

For me, part of being a father is being a role model for betterment and my job helps in this. My wife works part time and, for us, this is a good balance
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    My story is different because I have no kids by choice but my SO and I do live very cheaply. We both have pretty moderate incomes but we have still downsized but cutting absolutely everything we can. Every year, I go over the budget and find ways to reduce our spending, calling companies to arrange a lower payment on things like phone, internet, etc. We live in a small house, ride the bus, walk when we can. Groceries from the cheaper store, etc. We only go out once a week. Our biggest expense are our overseas trips but those are because that's what we want to do - that's our splurge.