Does anybody use the Wii?

Options
what does it entail too burn calories on it? Is it literally just standing up and using the Wii remote? Or do you have too move around alot? As I know while playing tennis the character moves them self you just have too hit the ball... Any input would be greatly appreciated please!

Replies

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You have to move in order for the characters to move. so if it's tennis you keep the Wii controller in your hand and tennis swing. If it's running, the Wii controller will detect if you are running in place or not
  • __Fatty2Fitty__
    __Fatty2Fitty__ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    But I mean you don't have too move side too side with tennis it does that automatically you just swing if that makes sense is that what the calorie count is for... just the swinging of the arm?
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm posting to following this because I'm curious as well. I'll be getting a Wii U soon and I'm hoping to use it to encourage myself to exercise a bit.
  • hellobirdie_xo
    hellobirdie_xo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used to have a wii fit, which was activities like hula hoop etc. where you were doing (all be it minimal) movement... if you're talking about things like tennis, I don't think you'd really class it as exercise as from my experience, it's literally just waving your arms about (no running side to side)!
  • xepherax
    xepherax Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you're aiming to exercise through active videogaming, I'd strongly recommend you look into Dance Dance Revolution and/or any of the motion sensor dance games such as Dance Central/Just Dance/Dance Evolution. DDR is available on the Wii and requires a dance mat controller, but is probably the best choice of game for cardio fitness. I've dropped from 111kg to 74kg in 8 months, with DDR almost exclusively my only form of exercise.

Most Wii motion control games don't burn much in the way of calories and mainly consist of small arm waves, whereas the dance games can definitely be burning upwards of 400 calories/hour if you're playing them at the highest difficulty levels. It doesn't take that long to get pretty good at them too, and if you're enjoying it, you're so focused on how well you're playing you often forget how much you're working out.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I supplement my other workouts with the occasional Wii workout. I have a Zumba game which is pretty good and keeps me moving, as well as a few other dance games. I also have the biggest loser which I like for some of the flexibility routines and the kickboxing. What I like about them is that I can do them at home, and with the kids. The tricky part though is to keep that heart rate up between songs, and to figure out the calorie burn. I have been doing it long enough now where I can get a decent estimate based on steps (read via fitbit) for the dance games. I never use the calorie estimates from the games. They seem very high to me.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it's a gimmick. It does make you move some but I wouldn't go so far as to call it an exercise program.

The boxing will give you sore arms the first few times.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've been using EA Sports Active 2 for the Wii, for going on three years now. It came with sensors that strap on to one arm and one leg. The arm sensor has a heart rate monitor, the same two-green-LED kind that's now in trackers like fitbit's Charge HR. So my heart rate is up in the corner of the screen the whole time.
    Unlike the game that comes with the Wii Fit, you can program routines including cardio and resistance together. So I've basically made a bunch of HIIT workouts that I cycle between. Two minutes of running in place, a set of bicep curls, a set of forward lunges, two minutes of foot fires, a set of lateral raises, a set of squats...and the way I've programmed the routines, my heart rate never goes below the "heart" zone so the workouts count as 45min sustained cardio as well.
    I love it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    DDR is one of my most favorite cardio exercises, i could play DDR on the wii every night for hours, if it didn't annoy all the people in my house. I dont know about wii fit, i imagine the workout is only as good as the effort you put into it.
  • julesbey
    julesbey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have lots of exercise/workout games for the Wii & love to use them!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I have all of the just dance series. They're fun and burn calories
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what programs you use. I have a Jillian Michaels/Biggest Loser Wii game. It's an incredibly hard workout.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    what does it entail too burn calories on it? Is it literally just standing up and using the Wii remote? Or do you have too move around alot? As I know while playing tennis the character moves them self you just have too hit the ball... Any input would be greatly appreciated please!

There are Wii FITNESS games designed to make you move. But the Wii Sports games - not so much. I have a cousin who scores crazy high points on the boxing with little movement (hands, wrist....maybe some elbow...nothing else moves).

Wii Walk It Out is designed for you to walk. Some songs are fast, some songs are slow. But you can control what songs you hear. I turned off the slow ones. This is not a big calorie burner but it can help you reach 10,000 steps a day.

Wii Dance games are designed to make you move. Look for shops that rent these. You can test drive a couple and see if they're for you. Wii active may use dumbbells, and aerobic step, a yoga mat, etc....these are designed to make you move.
  • LittleAppleAndBean
    Options
    You HAVE to MOVE I like wii boxing and tennis. I want wii fit for my birthday in august and I would also like the horse racing game. The boxing is a great calorie burner if you move as if your boxing per game instructions. Same with the tennis. Im all over the living room with the tennis lol
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I use the Wii for Dance Dance Revolution, Just Dance, Zumba, etc. The controllers work with the console as you move. It's a great fun workout when you want to change things up a bit.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    I started with this! it'll get the sweat going. use two "Wii-Motes" so you don't smack yourself with the wire.

0yi9xgpj6bw8.jpg
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    DDR is one of my most favorite cardio exercises, i could play DDR on the wii every night for hours, if it didn't annoy all the people in my house. I dont know about wii fit, i imagine the workout is only as good as the effort you put into it.

We seriously need DDR to come up with new disks. Unless someone knows something different, ever since Wii U was introduced, they have discontinued DDR and I'm getting tired of the same old music (and I have all of the disks). Let's start a petition!! LOL
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I used my Wii (Wii Fit and EA Active 2) a lot when I first started seriously working out. Depending on your current fitness, it can get you started on your journey. As said, you have to put the effort into it, just like any other exercise.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Yes you have to move. I don't really see how you could do a tennis swing without movementfrom the waist down anyway... I have quite a few. Some make you run. I have one that is like step class so not only do i have to step on a off the Wii board but I have to step with the correct foot as well. My daughter loves the Dance ones. I do them with her sometimes. the difficluty of the dances vary from basic two step to...yeah right..lol
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

We seriously need DDR to come up with new disks. Unless someone knows something different, ever since Wii U was introduced, they have discontinued DDR and I'm getting tired of the same old music (and I have all of the disks). Let's start a petition!! LOL

Indeed! I have a bunch of them on my PS2 and I play with them every now and then so I will join you in your quest!