February 6 - 2.62 miles
    February 7 - 10.55 miles

exercise.png

exercise.png
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    9-i was on the way to the gym. because it was icy i didn't want to run outside. so icy, i hit a parked jeep with my 2 day all new to me car. :frowning: no gym for me

Wow, I'm so sorry, that sucks so much!

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Progress report. So I did a run Sunday (4.5) but not too much to talk about. Today I wanted to break my 5k PR. And hell I got it. With 7 seconds. Also I tried to keep the pace even, tempo run I think you call it. Last 2 km I slowed down with 10 sec/km cause the bridge got me really hard but I managed it in the end. Also there was this strange guy who looked like a homeless person and had a weird form. Head bobbing left and right and shoulders all over the place. But hell he was fast. I think he ran like 10k with no sign of slowing down. I even drove afterwards to check. He had horrible form but he was damn fast.

Another thing is I'm reducing my goal to 60 km. My head was feeling strange today after and it felt like a pressure inside. Then I tried to breath through my nose and I couldn't. It may be the begging of a cold which is explain the light head I had yesterday during squats.

I have a question. I talked to an unltramaratoner and he told me that if I want to get my distance up I need to learn to run real slow. Like slow slow so my muscles get used to burning fuel for longer time. Is this good advice?

February 8 = 0 km (squats PR though)
    February 9 = 5 km
    February 10= Intervals on treadmill
    February 11= Complete rest day
    February 12= Squats
    February 13= Long Run (gonna go slow for 8km)
    February 14= Run

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have a question. I talked to an unltramaratoner and he told me that if I want to get my distance up I need to learn to run real slow. Like slow slow so my muscles get used to burning fuel for longer time. Is this good advice?
    My personal experience says yes, and there is a lot of info out there supporting this. I did this all of last summer and by the fall I felt I could run an ultra. The only thing that kept me from doing one was cutoff times (I am slow to begin with). I ran my first ever 3 full marathons though in that one fall season to give an idea of the kind of endurance that training provided a new marathoner.

I've been working on improving my pace this year meaning I am not solely focused on high mileage at easy pace like I was last year (I do a lot of speedwork now). It shows on my long runs. I feel dead trying to pull off 12 milers, while last summer/fall a 12 miler was just an easy medium-distance run.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I will hold my mailing address hostage until I can get your PayPal info. ;-)
    They do look great and many thanks for being the shipper on this.

@Wendy1Fl Cute doggy.

@pansamanchada No worry about pace or distance. Start slow and low mileage and build it slowly. I have been preaching to keep your pace at a conversational pace. If you can't sing or talk out loud without having to worry about your breathing, then you are going to fast. Walk/Run intervals are a great way to build that conditioning up without overdoing it. Consistency is key. Just keep at it and you will be able to run further and faster in time without much effort.

Welcome aboard @rohanivan

@moyer566 Sorry about your accident and hope everyone is OK.

@juliet3455 Great looking crew.

As far a smiling at the finish line, only needed if a photographer is standing right there.

Congrats on your PR @AdrianChr92
    And yes, as you increase your mileage, you need to run at a conversational pace.
    it's called base building:
    http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2016/01/reverse-taper-base-building.html

EDIT: I know I skip over a lot of posts, my apologies if I don't respond to everybody.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for February

2/1 7.55 miles - 7.55
    2/2 7.4 miles - 14.95
    2/3 4.5 miles - 19.45
    2/4 7 miles - 26.45
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 16 miles - 42.45
    2/7 REST DAY
    2/8 10.5 miles - 52.95
    2/9 7.5 miles - 60.45

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

So I shut my run down early this morning at 7.5 of the planned 10. Too much soreness that i didn't want to push it too hard. So instead I will try and do another run tonight. I was planning to start doing more shorter runs anyway. Too many mid-week long runs is not good. I need to break it up more.
  • AdrianChr92
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Thanks for this. I will go slow next time on my long run. Gonna need more chill music though. I've been running pretty fast this month and I see now I was doing it wrong.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    everyone is fine and it does suck a bit but i figured it out with the insurance and i'll be dropping it off at their service center and picking up a rental for free. deductible will hurt but it could be worse
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    A question for the group - have any of you heard of or participated in an Age Graded event? It is a way of normalizing results across age groups so you can compare a 50 yo's result to a 25 yo's for example. They did this for the Surf City races and it was pretty interesting (and encouraging at least for me). My age graded result was 60% for my AG and that placed me at 1162 out of almost 12000 finishers!

Any event can be age graded. I've run races where the timing contractor published age grades, even though no awards hung on them. At my PR 15K, I finished 3rd overall (out of 83) on an age graded basis, which meant essentially nothing. In real time, I was 9th; the 1st and 2nd by age grade were 2nd and 1st overall, respectively.

Coach tells me an age grade of 80% is national competition level and an age grade of 90% or higher is world class. The highest I've age graded is 81%, which I interpret as, "good enough to show up and be mentioned as one of the people the winner beat." I know some people who age grade in the mid to upper 80s, and I know I'm not in their class.
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    3.3 miles tonight. I wanted to get a longer run in but I'm feeling pretty sore from an hour of football (soccer to the yanks out there) and I've got to get through 2 hours of softball training later this evening too! Will be struggling to fit running in this week, especially longer runs. Might just have to sneak a few 5k jogs in where I can.

29/76.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 can't wait to get the shirts, they are awesome! Thanks again for mailing them out. Skip wants your cat so you'll have to drop him/her in our box. :smile:
    @moyer566 sorry about the accident, glad no one was hurt except your new car ugh!
    @calli1616 I would try different ways to lace your shoes. I know IT band was mentioned, I talked to my PT today about ITB issues and he said it shows 99.9% of the time in the knee, the other .1% is on the outside of the hip.
    @shanaber I think PT is really helping, after therapy today he taped me up with KT tape, he said yes he believes in it and I should use it when I run. The age graded system sounds interesting, I wonder if it would be to my benefit
    @virkati so glad to hear you got a run in!!!
    @wendyf14 sweet doggie!
    @9voice9 LOL skunk ape. So I'm a sweet delicate female LOL and I can't stand the smell of myself after I run. Skip is always complaining ha ha
    @knordrw I'm from NJ and was a season ticket holder for the Devils. One time they were playing the Penguins and Mario skated over to the boards during practice and threw me a puck over the glass. He had me then and there!
    @juliet3455 awesome picture. Had to laugh at some being showered. I feel like that when I run in a race with @stoshew71 he could be done, home, showered and watching TV before I'm finished :smile: but he's usually is kind enough to hang around to cheer me to the finish if he can
    @adrianchr92 great 5K PR!!! woohoo!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    everyone is fine and it does suck a bit but i figured it out with the insurance and i'll be dropping it off at their service center and picking up a rental for free. deductible will hurt but it could be worse

Last time I was in an accident, a woman pulled out in front of me as I was cruising down the highway at 55mph (~90KPH). I hit the brakes, which led to me rear-ending her instead of broadsiding/t-boning her. No damage to her SUV, but smashed the heck out of my poor car. She proceeded to get out and berate me for "going too fast" and said I had to slow down because she was turning (she had a stop sign, I did not, and I wasn't speeding). Long story short, her crappy insurance company refused to even open a claim when I called to report it (illegal). So, I had to go through my insurance and pay the deductible to get my car fixed. Then, we fought her insurance for 16 months, getting ready to go to court to get my money (and my insurance company's) back. They ended up settling a week before the first court date, after the other driver got irate with my lawyer during her deposition. I keep telling myself that it all would have been so much easier if I just hadn't hit the brakes...

Soooo....At least you don't have to deal with someone else's insurance.

ETA: The small-town cops took over a month to even get the police report released, and, when they did, it made no sense. The form is just a bunch of boxes with possible choices. You fill in the number of the option that corresponds to each car (Car 1 did X; Car 2 did Y). The cop had filled out the boxes poorly and had written a mostly incoherent description of the accident. It was generally a nightmarish experience all around.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - I will hold my mailing address hostage until I can get your PayPal info. ;-)
    They do look great and many thanks for being the shipper on this.

Ha-ha! Funny! I thought where the heck is Stan's address!

All interested in sending me money my PayPal info is beheyb@gmail.com :wink:

I just dropped a few off that weren't going flat rate. Hopefully today the USPS website is updated for payments and I'll get labels printed and the rest out tomorrow. If not, I'll take small batches to the postal store and annoy them.

Honestly, these seems to be some quality shirts. You did good Stan!
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    rohanivan wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

This is Rohan, I am new to running. I have just ran a 3K with freinds for fun and was just able to crawl past the finish line. I am planning to run my first 5K this year, I am training with Endomondo app and C25K Windows Phone Apps.
    Hope I finish my 5K with a smiling face.
    My Goal for February is 20 KM.

Feb 25 - First 5K

exercise.png

I'm new to the group too. Welcome!!
    You ran a 5k without training for it? That sounds awesome. Talk about doing it for the fun of it.
    What was your race time?
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i'll try for 100 miles
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @pansamanchada No worry about pace or distance. Start slow and low mileage and build it slowly. I have been preaching to keep your pace at a conversational pace. If you can't sing or talk out loud without having to worry about your breathing, then you are going to fast. Walk/Run intervals are a great way to build that conditioning up without overdoing it. Consistency is key. Just keep at it and you will be able to run further and faster in time without much effort.

100% agree. There's a 5k in my area I'd like to sign up for. It's about 10 weeks away. Hopefully I can build up to running it in <30 mins. Thanks for the support.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    rohanivan wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

This is Rohan, I am new to running. I have just ran a 3K with freinds for fun and was just able to crawl past the finish line. I am planning to run my first 5K this year, I am training with Endomondo app and C25K Windows Phone Apps.
    Hope I finish my 5K with a smiling face.
    My Goal for February is 20 KM.

Feb 25 - First 5K

exercise.png

Welcome! It does get easier. I think the first 6 months are the hardest. Then improvement comes along just enough to keep you baited into running. :smile:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

@AdrianChr92 - That is very, very good advice. It's applicable well before you get to the ultramarathon distance.

I ran myself into injury twice trying to get to my first half marathon. On the advice of my PT, I entered into a group training program on the third attempt. I learned a lot from the coaches, and probably more from the marathon runners I ran with; but the most important thing I learned was to *slow down* for most miles and all of the long runs.

It turned out I wasn't as healthy as I thought during that first training program. I got to the half, completed it, and came down with a stress fracture in my left foot a couple weeks later. Came back, and remembered to run the long miles slow. Fast forward 2 years, and I'm running more miles than I ever have in my life while training for Boston. I'm running 6 days a week, and not even feeling beat up. And a vital component of getting here was, *LEARNING TO RUN SLOW.*

Granted, my "slow" doesn't look all that slow to a lot of recreational runners; but what's important is that my slow is not what I would run in a race, not what I would run in a tempo workout, and nowhere close to what I would run in speed work designed to train for a 5K or mile race.

Most new runners have a natural tendency to gravitate toward aerobic threshold pace. There is a place for aerobic threshold in training, but it's not all the miles and definitely not the long steady runs. My target for long steady runs is between a minute and two minutes per mile slower than my aerobic threshold pace, depending on what pace I believe for easy and what pace I believe for aerobic threshold. It was hard to learn to run that slow, but the results were well worth the effort.

(edited - grammar)
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @elise4270 can't wait to get the shirts, they are awesome! Thanks again for mailing them out. Skip wants your cat so you'll have to drop him/her in our box. :smile:

Aw! She's my baby. She's only 7 months old. Best cat ever. She loves to play chase. Does the drive-by jump up and tag you thing. So cute. Never scratches. And just too freekin' smart to be a cat. How many cats can you tell to go pp, and they hit the litter box?

I bet they'd love each other. Her name is Noodles.
  • AdrianChr92
    Options
    @MobyCarp Yea I've been trying to run faster and faster now cause I have the same mentality like in the gym. Lift hard to get stronger but I see it's not the case. I'll slow down a lot now and try to build my distance.

Here's a funny pic I just came across
    f1q5qrpgx22q.jpg

sfw.jpg 79.4K