Struggling to meet calorie goal

Options
cakemunchkin
cakemunchkin Posts: 12 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Thanks to everyone helpful - I will be more mindful of weighing things and add in some calorie dense foods that were suggested. Thanks also to everyone who was supportive.

I hope the rest of you find time to remember when you were just starting out, and think about how you felt then, and how hard it is to ask for help, before you jump on someone. I'm removing my original post because I simply don't think the level of aggression I'm receiving for trying to do the right thing is healthy for me.

Be productive. Love each other.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Don't wait until you're hungry before eating.
    Drink something with calories in it.
    Eat more calorie dense foods.
    Eat larger portions.
    Have 2, 3 or even 4 cookies instead.

I could go on and on, you get a idea.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I'm going to preface this by saying: I know I'm vastly under my calorie goal almost all the time. I only eat when I'm hungry, and I've been trying to stick to only healthy foods I make at home. I struggle to hit 700 calories, even when I do cross training (sprints and body weight exercises), and yoga. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I'm not really denying myself. If I wanted food, I'd eat food - if I want a cookie, well gosh darn it i'll have a cookie.

I'm seeing a nutritionist next week, but any suggestions in the meantime?

Frankly, I don't believe you. You did not become overweight by eating 700 calories per day.

That low of an intake is absurd and is not a sustainable lifestyle.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you're sure you're logging correctly (sometimes people think they are eating less than they are), then it looks like your hunger cues are not a good sign of when you should eat. Try adding calorie dense foods to your meals.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    What did you eat before joining MFP? Surely you can eat those still, just less of it.
    There's a plethora of higher caloried food that you can fill your diary with.
  • cakemunchkin
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @ Beermephile1 No, I became overweight by not exercising, eating crap, and emotional eating while I dealt with mental health issues. I've only started tracking my calorie intake for the last month. I reached out for help.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Are you underweight, or have an eating disorder? Your post is peculiar.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I'm going to preface this by saying: I know I'm vastly under my calorie goal almost all the time. I only eat when I'm hungry, and I've been trying to stick to only healthy foods I make at home. I struggle to hit 700 calories, even when I do cross training (sprints and body weight exercises), and yoga. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I'm not really denying myself. If I wanted food, I'd eat food - if I want a cookie, well gosh darn it i'll have a cookie.

I'm seeing a nutritionist next week, but any suggestions in the meantime?

Frankly, I don't believe you. You did not become overweight by eating 700 calories per day.

That low of an intake is absurd and is not a sustainable lifestyle.

that. all. day. long.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Eat.

It's not that hard to eat to the minimum 1200 calories. If you're eating "healthy" or "clean" then add some "unhealthy" or "unclean" foods to get your calories up.
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on toast.
  • cakemunchkin
    Options
    I am neither, I'm actually a bit overweight (medically speaking). Just someone struggling to figure out how to eat right and finding this a bit confusing and hard to navigate.

@callsitlikeiseeit Yeah. I know its not a good thing - that's why I'm asking for help.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Cheese. Everyone loves cheese. Its got protein, vitamins and some fat (which we still need). Its also a higher calorie content food. If you have a hard time eating your daily calories, have an ounce of cheese as a snack, put a piece of cheese on your lunch.

Another option would be nuts. Again, lots of good things, some good fat, higher calorie content and they are great for snacking, tossing in salads, etc. Its not hard to do.

Make your portion sizes a bit bigger. Have an extra 2 ounces of protein with your meal, an extra quarter cup of fruit, veggies. Have a smoothie and mix it with extra things, yogurt, fruit, veggies.

I'll give you the lecture. Your body requires a minimum number of calories to function. You feel ok now but your metabolism will start to slow to conserve energy (makes it hard to lose weight). Your hair may start to fall out. You may have foggy thinking, trouble sleeping, etc. Food is fuel. You don't give your car less fuel than it needs to get you places. Don't do it to your body.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Do you weigh everything you eat on a food scale and religiously log everything you eat? For example, looking at this:

jjkmanhwyro6.jpg

Your Chex cereal at 1.5 cups to be accurately measured should be in grams. Your two ounces of chicken should be weighed on a food scale for accuracy. Your "one piece" of banana could be anywhere from 90 calories to 300 calories. I suspect you are eating more calories than you think.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    Are you underweight, or have an eating disorder? Your post is peculiar.

This is pretty common in people who radically overhaul their diets. Typically they're trying to eat very low fat (or sometimes very low protein). They remove most calorie dense foods from their diet, so it becomes difficult to meet goals for calorie consumption.
  • cakemunchkin
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who is being helpful. I do religiously log everything I eat for now so I know what I'm eating and how much (so I can make sure its accurate). I'll try and add it some of the higher calorie foods people suggested!
  • cakemunchkin
    Options
    @janejellyroll THANK YOU. I've been keeping protein in my diet, but honestly do have a hard time sorting what is junk and what is healthy but calorie dense.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I am neither, I'm actually a bit overweight (medically speaking). Just someone struggling to figure out how to eat right and finding this a bit confusing and hard to navigate.

@callsitlikeiseeit Yeah. I know its not a good thing - that's why I'm asking for help.

look, the thing is, you are VERY LIKELY eating more than you THINK you are. If you are not using a food SCALE (not cups, not eyeball measurements) then you simply can't be SURE. 700 calories is NOTHING and your body simply wouldnt function for very long on that little. you would be tired, lethargic, and start to have other health problems. You would not be able to meet the nutrients that your body NEEDS to function properly.

if you truly ARE eating that little (again, I doubt it), for the love of god go eat some peanut butter or nuts!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    And watch this video, OP...

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    @janejellyroll THANK YOU. I've been keeping protein in my diet, but honestly do have a hard time sorting what is junk and what is healthy but calorie dense.

If you truly are only eating 700 calories a day, that is going to be far more harmful to your health than any food you have identified as "junk."

If you're meeting your goals for protein and fat and other micronutrients, including foods commonly put in the "junk" category isn't going to harm you. So have some cookies or bread or oil or whatever you're ditching. You can have tasty stuff.
  • cakemunchkin
    Options
    @callsitlikeiseeit Yes, and those problems are what I'm trying to avoid by rectifying it early on. Criticizing me doesn't help anybody.