Orange Theory

Options
Hi, just wondering if anyone here goes to Orange Theory & if so how you record it in your workouts on this app?

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I liked the idea, but not the price. None where I live now.
  • dianeschoen450
    dianeschoen450 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yea, it's pricey but it is a great workout. It's hard to figure out how to enter the workouts since its split between cardio & weights. Too much work to enter all of the weight workouts. Or, perhaps I'm too lazy. I did sync my Fitbit to this app so that should help.
  • umprep02
    umprep02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I heard someone else say they use circuit training to track theirs. If the calories are off you can adjust with what you get off your summaries.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    It is a great workout! I log it as circuit training which is low considering what I burn in the class but close enough.
  • soapyskin
    soapyskin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed. I log it as Circuit Training with MFP app, and adjust my calories manually.
  • thatldopig
    thatldopig Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    On my Apple Watch I just pick either indoor walk or indoor cycle and my Orange Theory HR monitor is paired to my Apple Watch as a 'health device' under Bluetooth settings so the ending calories burned matches up. My Fitness Pal gets the workout information from Apple Health. This is fully automated for me.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do something similar, and log it under cardio calisthenics vigorous effort. it's pretty close to the HRM.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the whole thing is based on EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) which is supposed to burn more calories after the workout. To find out why that's completely overblown and basically useless, read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/research-review-effects-of-exercise-intensity-and-duration-on-the-excess-post-exercise-oxygen-consumption.html/
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    how expensive is it, one just opened here and I thought about checking it out, but they don't have prices on their site
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    how expensive is it, one just opened here and I thought about checking it out, but they don't have prices on their site

no one can answer that as it varies per area. In my area Orange Theory would probably cost $100/month with unlimited sessions based on the going rate of Crossfit and similar gyms. However, I've heard of rates as high as 4x that in big cities for a similar unlimited sessions plan.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I don't know if it varies across locations but this is from a 2013 article-
    Basic (four classes a month) costs $59; Elite (eight a month) $99; and Premier (unlimited) $159. You can add additional classes to Basic and Elite for $14 and $12 respectively, and family members can join for a reduced rate.

I would love to try it but I'm cheap. And I think you spend half the hour on a treadmill which I can do at home. And I think the EPOC claims are overblown. But people love it!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    oh yeah that's probably too much money for me, I'll have to stop in and find out for sure. I'm definitely not going to spend 60 bucks a month to spend half an hour on a treadmill, not a fan of cardio as it is. I guess it's probably not for me.
  • soapyskin
    soapyskin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Sounds like the whole thing is based on EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) which is supposed to burn more calories after the workout. To find out why that's completely overblown and basically useless, read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/research-review-effects-of-exercise-intensity-and-duration-on-the-excess-post-exercise-oxygen-consumption.html/

I don't find that the whole thing is based on EPOC, maybe it's an advertising tool they use a little too much, but I don't think it embodies the workout itself. I don't agree with the concept of an 'After Burn' either, I think they are why a lot of people seem to plateau when they think they're still burning calories 30 hours later.

The workout itself, the idea that you are competing with yourself and no one else, the atmosphere, and the ever changing routines are addicting and the coaches (at least at my location!) are truly awesome.

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    soapyskin wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »

I don't find that the whole thing is based on EPOC, maybe it's an advertising tool they use a little too much, but I don't think it embodies the workout itself. I don't agree with the concept of an 'After Burn' either, I think they are why a lot of people seem to plateau when they think they're still burning calories 30 hours later.

The workout itself, the idea that you are competing with yourself and no one else, the atmosphere, and the ever changing routines are addicting and the coaches (at least at my location!) are truly awesome.

Yea, I don't doubt it's a good workout and a good experience, it would honestly just not be worth the money for me, but maybe it is for others.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    oh yeah that's probably too much money for me, I'll have to stop in and find out for sure. I'm definitely not going to spend 60 bucks a month to spend half an hour on a treadmill, not a fan of cardio as it is. I guess it's probably not for me.

I took a free class a couple of weeks ago. I think my location's prices were similar if not exactly what @WalkingAlong detailed. I appreciate the fact that they price it so if you're wanting to use it as an accessory workout you can. Price is dependent on whether or not the person thinks it's worth it. Based on my experience I could do that myself in the gym for free. I really think they should consider giving a week free trial because to really get a feel for the different workouts.

As far as logging it can't you just do Circuit or put in Orange Theory under your own exercises.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    I visited an Orange Theory this past weekend in Florida. For a one-time visit, it was $25. It was a good workout but not really worth the fee for one class. For the first half hour, we ran a little on the treadmill, then did some squat jacks and then rowing on the rowing machine. We repeated that sequence varying the distance on the treadmill and time on the rower. It reminded me of a HIIT workout. Your heart rate goes high while running on the treadmill and then slowly drops doing the squat jacks and rower and then you repeat.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Cost aside, I love Orange Theory. In fact, I just booked a class. @Teresa502 it's a shame you had to pay? Ours offers first session (maybe week) free.

And I don't do a monthly pass based on dollar per class. I bought a bundle of 25 classes and am using those. They are good for a year so if I have an injury, long vacation, etc etc, I'm not out $160 x however many months I'm out.

I like the class vibe but a personal best element. Agreed though, if you're counting pennies, it's a little on the pricey side.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I log the calories they give me as an "Other - Cardio"
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    Cost aside, I love Orange Theory. In fact, I just booked a class. @Teresa502 it's a shame you had to pay? Ours offers first session (maybe week) free.

And I don't do a monthly pass based on dollar per class. I bought a bundle of 25 classes and am using those. They are good for a year so if I have an injury, long vacation, etc etc, I'm not out $160 x however many months I'm out.

I like the class vibe but a personal best element. Agreed though, if you're counting pennies, it's a little on the pricey side.

If I had been local and was just trying it out, then the class would have been free but since I was an out-of town visitor and there isn't an Orange Theory any where close to where I live, I had to pay a drop-in fee. :-(

I loved being able to watch the monitor to see when I was in the fat burning zone and after the workout, they emailed me a summary showing the calories burned and other data. That was pretty neat!