Has anyone done the Juice Fast?

Options
DC0hen
DC0hen Posts: 47 Member
About 7 months ago after not being able to eat for a few days and watching several food movies including Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, I did a 2 week juice fast.

This serves as a great springboard to losing some weight. When I paired this with some severe diet changes (i.e. Proper Food Combinations, Exercise, Portion Control, Sugar reduction/elimination) I was off to a great start.

Some advice that worked for me on "Getting Started"
  • Create a plan
  • Change your diet (Not "go on a diet")
  • Exercise
  • Eliminate Sugar
  • Create peer support

To date I am down 30 lbs. I have lost approximately 50 pounds of fat.

If you have juiced or juicing Share your story or recipes

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Promoting vlcd is against sire rules.
  • DC0hen
    Options
    Thank you for your comment. I am not promoting a VLCD. It was used as a springboard of not being able to eat solid foods and yet still obtaining macro nutrients.

I agree that starving one self of the necessary calories is unhealthy. Currently I juice 1-2 times per week as a supplement to a regular meal.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd rather eat my restricted calories than drink them because satiety. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    DC0hen wrote: »
    About 7 months ago after not being able to eat for a few days and watching several food movies including Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, I did a 2 week juice fast.

This serves as a great springboard to losing some weight. When I paired this with some severe diet changes (i.e. Proper Food Combinations, Exercise, Portion Control, Sugar reduction/elimination) I was off to a great start.

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

To the bolded: Am I being a Math-Is-Hard Barbie by not understanding this?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How do you juice and eliminate sugar?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I watched the 2nd movie where they all got fat again and had to juice again and repeated that over and over, just proving it doesn't work for weight loss.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

I believe he's suggesting he lost 50 pounds of fat and gained 20 pounds of muscle.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead wasn't a movie. It was a film length commercial.

Oh and I've lost more than 50 pounds just by monitoring what I eat. Juicing is totally unnecessary.
  • DC0hen
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

I believe he's suggesting he lost 50 pounds of fat and gained 20 pounds of muscle.

Thank you for clarifying for me. I didn't know I should have been more explicit
  • DC0hen
    edited February 2016
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

Oh and I've lost more than 50 pounds just by monitoring what I eat. Juicing is totally unnecessary.

Congrats in losing the 50 lbs.

If your eating plenty of greens and getting nutrients in your diet then it may not be necessary.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You gained 20 lbs of muscle in 7 months?!
  • DC0hen
    Options

Eliminating added sugars. Like coffee, sodas, desserts. If your eating fruits and veggies you can't eliminate natural fructose.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is propaganda, and as someone else mentioned, there is a sequel where they all had to do it again because they gained the weight back. Regardless, fasting is unnecessary to lose weight.

I agree with your Getting Started tips, except for "Eliminate Sugar". Sugar doesn't make you fat, extra calories do, regardless of where they come from. Plenty of people here have lost tons of weight while still eating everything they used to eat, just smaller portions. Sugary snacks can be an easy item to cut back on to lower your calories though, but I never overate sugar - I tend to overeat savory meals and watching my portion sizes was the key for me.

And I have the same question someone else did? How do you juice and eliminate sugar? Juicing removes the fiber and leaves just the sugar and other nutrients. I personally would rather eat those couple of hundred calories of fruit & veg to fill me up, rather than drink them, but to each his own.

I have to question gaining 20 lbs of muscle in 7 months while eating at enough of a deficit to lose 30 lbs total. I can't imagine how that's physically possible.

Congrats on your weight loss, even if I am quibbling with the details. In my experience it's much easier for people to make small changes to their diet and activity, rather than such drastic modifications that they may struggle with and not stick to for life. But it's great you found something that worked for you.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

Congrats in losong yhe 50.

If your eating plenty of greens and getting nutrients in your diet then it may not be necessary.

That's the thing, jucing is good for getting extra nutrients. Replacing all your meals with jucing means missing out on some things. Some people swear by a 'jump-start' diet, but in all honesty, it's not necessary physically. Doing the fasting or other types of popular diets does more harm that good because it doesn't teach people how to adjust their diet for long term.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Eliminating added sugars. Like coffee, sodas, desserts. If your eating fruits and veggies you can't eliminate natural fructose.

I know -- that's why what you wrote about "eliminating sugars" was extremely confusing.
  • DC0hen
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is propaganda, and as someone else mentioned, there is a sequel where they all had to do it again because they gained the weight back. Regardless, fasting is unnecessary to lose weight.

I agree with your Getting Started tips, except for "Eliminate Sugar". Sugar doesn't make you fat, extra calories do, regardless of where they come from. Plenty of people here have lost tons of weight while still eating everything they used to eat, just smaller portions. Sugary snacks can be an easy item to cut back on to lower your calories though, but I never overate sugar - I tend to overeat savory meals and watching my portion sizes was the key for me.

And I have the same question someone else did? How do you juice and eliminate sugar? Juicing removes the fiber and leaves just the sugar and other nutrients. I personally would rather eat those couple of hundred calories of fruit & veg to fill me up, rather than drink them, but to each his own.

I have to question gaining 20 lbs of muscle in 7 months while eating at enough of a deficit to lose 30 lbs total. I can't imagine how that's physically possible.

Congrats on your weight loss, even if I am quibbling with the details. In my experience it's much easier for people to make small changes to their diet and activity, rather than such drastic modifications that they may struggle with and not stick to for life. But it's great you found something that worked for you.

So just to be clear the juice fast was a short term deal to get nutrients while I couldn't eat.

As for dietary changes, I still eat a normal diet and exercise regularly. I may juice as a supplement after a meal that may not have been full of nutrients. The sugars in juice (kale, carrots, celery, ginger, etc) are all nutural.

As for packing on 20 lbs of muscle. I am not at a calorie deficit. I ingest on average 1800 to 2000 calories a day with 3 full meals and 2 to 3 snacks in between.

A 30 pound weight loss and 20 pounds of muscle is nothing extraordinary over 6 months.

Thanks for your remarks.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

So just to be clear the juice fast was a short term deal to get nutrients while I couldn't eat.

As for dietary changes, I still eat a normal diet and exercise regularly. I may juice as a supplement after a meal that may not have been full of nutrients. The sugars in juice (kale, carrots, celery, ginger, etc) are all nutural.

As for packing on 20 lbs of muscle. I am not at a calorie deficit. I ingest on average 1800 to 2000 calories a day with 3 full meals and 2 to 3 snacks in between.

A 30 pound weight loss and 20 pounds of muscle is nothing extraordinary over 6 months.

Thanks for your remarks.

What does "all natural" mean in the context of sugar? How is this relevant for weight loss?
  • Trojan_Warrior
    Trojan_Warrior Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What works for some, may not work for others.

What seems logical to some, isn't to others.

I started the FSAND juicing regimen on January 12, with a 5-day plan, 7 day pause, then I just finished a 10 day plan. To date, I am down 15 lbs.

The "juice diet" is not strictly juices, but more of a supplementation of juicing and fruit/vegetable eating plan.

There's salads, soups, etc. The idea is to eliminate animal proteins, caffeine, processed sugars for a period of time. It's not considered a solution, but a jump start to get you going in the right direction with a healthy mentality towards a vegetable-based nutrition plan. I now see what I can "live" on, and it's changed the way I see food and think about dieting.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Call me skeptical. I just don't see the point. There is no such thing as a "jump start." You just do it. Weight loss is nothing more than eating less calories overall. Anything you lose while fasting you will gain right back as soon as you start to eat food again.

Seems like a waste of time and money to me.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

Thanks for your remarks.

What does "all natural" mean in the context of sugar? How is this relevant for weight loss?

All sugar is natural and extracted from plants.