Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    DC0hen wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    About 7 months ago after not being able to eat for a few days and watching several food movies including Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, I did a 2 week juice fast.

This serves as a great springboard to losing some weight. When I paired this with some severe diet changes (i.e. Proper Food Combinations, Exercise, Portion Control, Sugar reduction/elimination) I was off to a great start.

Some advice that worked for me on "Getting Started"
    • Create a plan
    • Change your diet (Not "go on a diet")
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

To date I am down 30 lbs. I have lost approximately 50 pounds of fat.

If you have juiced or juicing Share your story or recipes

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is propaganda, and as someone else mentioned, there is a sequel where they all had to do it again because they gained the weight back. Regardless, fasting is unnecessary to lose weight.

I agree with your Getting Started tips, except for "Eliminate Sugar". Sugar doesn't make you fat, extra calories do, regardless of where they come from. Plenty of people here have lost tons of weight while still eating everything they used to eat, just smaller portions. Sugary snacks can be an easy item to cut back on to lower your calories though, but I never overate sugar - I tend to overeat savory meals and watching my portion sizes was the key for me.

And I have the same question someone else did? How do you juice and eliminate sugar? Juicing removes the fiber and leaves just the sugar and other nutrients. I personally would rather eat those couple of hundred calories of fruit & veg to fill me up, rather than drink them, but to each his own.

I have to question gaining 20 lbs of muscle in 7 months while eating at enough of a deficit to lose 30 lbs total. I can't imagine how that's physically possible.

Congrats on your weight loss, even if I am quibbling with the details. In my experience it's much easier for people to make small changes to their diet and activity, rather than such drastic modifications that they may struggle with and not stick to for life. But it's great you found something that worked for you.

So just to be clear the juice fast was a short term deal to get nutrients while I couldn't eat.

As for dietary changes, I still eat a normal diet and exercise regularly. I may juice as a supplement after a meal that may not have been full of nutrients. The sugars in juice (kale, carrots, celery, ginger, etc) are all nutural.

As for packing on 20 lbs of muscle. I am not at a calorie deficit. I ingest on average 1800 to 2000 calories a day with 3 full meals and 2 to 3 snacks in between.

A 30 pound weight loss and 20 pounds of muscle is nothing extraordinary over 6 months.

Thanks for your remarks.

Um...., actually yes.....yes it is, especially when you're saying that you're eating at enough of a deficit to lose 30 lbs of fat.

Also, you say you're not at a deficit, but are only eating 1800-2000 cals a day. Surely if you're doing the work to put on 20lbs of muscle, 1800-2000 cals has to be a deficit?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    About 7 months ago after not being able to eat for a few days and watching several food movies including Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, I did a 2 week juice fast.

This serves as a great springboard to losing some weight. When I paired this with some severe diet changes (i.e. Proper Food Combinations, Exercise, Portion Control, Sugar reduction/elimination) I was off to a great start.

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is propaganda, and as someone else mentioned, there is a sequel where they all had to do it again because they gained the weight back. Regardless, fasting is unnecessary to lose weight.

I agree with your Getting Started tips, except for "Eliminate Sugar". Sugar doesn't make you fat, extra calories do, regardless of where they come from. Plenty of people here have lost tons of weight while still eating everything they used to eat, just smaller portions. Sugary snacks can be an easy item to cut back on to lower your calories though, but I never overate sugar - I tend to overeat savory meals and watching my portion sizes was the key for me.

And I have the same question someone else did? How do you juice and eliminate sugar? Juicing removes the fiber and leaves just the sugar and other nutrients. I personally would rather eat those couple of hundred calories of fruit & veg to fill me up, rather than drink them, but to each his own.

I have to question gaining 20 lbs of muscle in 7 months while eating at enough of a deficit to lose 30 lbs total. I can't imagine how that's physically possible.

Congrats on your weight loss, even if I am quibbling with the details. In my experience it's much easier for people to make small changes to their diet and activity, rather than such drastic modifications that they may struggle with and not stick to for life. But it's great you found something that worked for you.

So just to be clear the juice fast was a short term deal to get nutrients while I couldn't eat.

As for dietary changes, I still eat a normal diet and exercise regularly. I may juice as a supplement after a meal that may not have been full of nutrients. The sugars in juice (kale, carrots, celery, ginger, etc) are all nutural.

As for packing on 20 lbs of muscle. I am not at a calorie deficit. I ingest on average 1800 to 2000 calories a day with 3 full meals and 2 to 3 snacks in between.

A 30 pound weight loss and 20 pounds of muscle is nothing extraordinary over 6 months.

Thanks for your remarks.

Yes... yes it is. At best, a natural lifter under optimal conditions and genetics can gain about .5lb/weeks. At 20lbs, that would be 40 weeks of optimal muscle growth under ideal eating, sleeping, lifting, diet, and genetic conditions. That's, at minimum, 10 months of effort under optimal conditions using the math alone.
  • DC0hen
    DC0hen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What works for some, may not work for others.

What seems logical to some, isn't to others.

I started the FSAND juicing regimen on January 12, with a 5-day plan, 7 day pause, then I just finished a 10 day plan. To date, I am down 15 lbs.

The "juice diet" is not strictly juices, but more of a supplementation of juicing and fruit/vegetable eating plan.

There's salads, soups, etc. The idea is to eliminate animal proteins, caffeine, processed sugars for a period of time. It's not considered a solution, but a jump start to get you going in the right direction with a healthy mentality towards a vegetable-based nutrition plan. I now see what I can "live" on, and it's changed the way I see food and think about dieting.

Thank You. Totally agree.

I haven't eliminated animal proteins, but processed and refined sugars are out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    How do you juice and eliminate sugar?

Eliminating added sugars. Like coffee, sodas, desserts. If your eating fruits and veggies you can't eliminate natural fructose.

Coffee doesn't have any sugar. Sure, if you like that sort of thing (I don't) you can add some, but that's not the coffee's fault.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I started the FSAND juicing regimen on January 12, with a 5-day plan, 7 day pause, then I just finished a 10 day plan. To date, I am down 15 lbs.

The "juice diet" is not strictly juices, but more of a supplementation of juicing and fruit/vegetable eating plan.

There's salads, soups, etc. The idea is to eliminate animal proteins, caffeine, processed sugars for a period of time. It's not considered a solution, but a jump start to get you going in the right direction with a healthy mentality towards a vegetable-based nutrition plan. I now see what I can "live" on, and it's changed the way I see food and think about dieting.

Isn't juicing a form of processing food? Or are we just using "processing" to refer to the processing methods that aren't included on your plan?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Isn't juicing a form of processing food? Or are we just using "processing" to refer to the processing methods that aren't included on your plan?

The WHO actually exempts juice from it's "intrinsic sugars don't count toward the 5% recommended limit." Juice is considered a "free sugar."
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The WHO actually exempts juice from it's "intrinsic sugars don't count toward the 5% recommended limit." Juice is considered a "free sugar."

Drinking fruit juice often gives me a sugar rush (which can be quite useful in some circumstances, like before a run).
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    How are you determining that you gained 20 lbs of muscle?
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    [quote=I haven't eliminated animal proteins, but processed and refined sugars are out. [/quote]

I guess that means there are no breads or anything along that line in your diet now? Last time I checked most of those have sugar. Grats on the weight loss but know your stuff before posting or these threads will eat you alive.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

To steal someone else's response on a similar thread..."incorrectly"
  • jflanaganasl
    jflanaganasl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead wasn't a movie. It was a film length commercial.

Oh and I've lost more than 50 pounds just by monitoring what I eat. Juicing is totally unnecessary.

Congrats in losong yhe 50.

If your eating plenty of greens and getting nutrients in your diet then it may not be necessary.

That's the thing, jucing is good for getting extra nutrients. Replacing all your meals with jucing means missing out on some things. Some people swear by a 'jump-start' diet, but in all honesty, it's not necessary physically. Doing the fasting or other types of popular diets does more harm that good because it doesn't teach people how to adjust their diet for long term.

Totally agree. IMHO, juicing isn't a healthy way to lose weight when you are using it to replace multiple meals. Not only is it not teaching you to eat right, but I've seen a lot of people harm themselves with this kind of a diet. I think what OP is suggesting is not healthy/not good advice.

Couple that with the fact that he's claiming some particularly astonishing results, it sounds like OP is selling something. >.>
  • DC0hen
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

Thanks for your remarks.

Yes... yes it is. At best, a natural lifter under optimal conditions and genetics can gain about .5lb/weeks. At 20lbs, that would be 40 weeks of optimal muscle growth under ideal eating, sleeping, lifting, diet, and genetic conditions. That's, at minimum, 10 months of effort under optimal conditions using the math alone.

Thanks for the clarification. Based on your math, which make sense, then I'm not sure what happened. I'm just going based on measurements at the gym.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

Thanks for your remarks.

Thanks for the clarification. Based on your math, which make sense, then I'm not sure what happened. I'm just going based on measurements at the gym.

Most commonly used methods for measuring body fat can be inaccurate.
  • DC0hen
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    [quote=I haven't eliminated animal proteins, but processed and refined sugars are out.

I guess that means there are no breads or anything along that line in your diet now? Last time I checked most of those have sugar. Grats on the weight loss but know your stuff before posting or these threads will eat you alive.
    [/quote]

The key is added sugars.

You can eat pasta, breads etc. It's the quality and quantity. No wonder bread
  • DC0hen
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

Thanks for your remarks.

My bad for using the numbers provided.

Let's settle at 30 pound weight loss over 6 months.
  • DC0hen
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

I determined it based on data provided by the gym. Seems like it can be skewed based on some facts provided in the thread.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    How do you juice and eliminate sugar?

Eliminating added sugars. Like coffee, sodas, desserts. If your eating fruits and veggies you can't eliminate natural fructose.

Coffee doesn't have any sugar. Sure, if you like that sort of thing (I don't) you can add some, but that's not the coffee's fault.

Poor coffee.... just trying to give people a boost, and instead gets backhanded...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

Thanks for your remarks.

My bad for using the numbers provided.

Let's settle at 30 pound weight loss over 6 months.

Statistically, you have probably lost fat, muscle, glycogen, etc.... its is very difficult to gain muscle in a deficit... and consider most juicing eliminates protein, its almost a gaurentee that muscle was lost.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »

The key is added sugars.

You can eat pasta, breads etc. It's the quality and quantity. No wonder bread

That's the thing, pasta and bread is made with added sugar. I agree no wonder bread, they use way to much sugar, but pretty much any bread you buy will have sugar as an ingredient. So the question is, how much added sugar is too much? And why not set it as a macro so you can balance it across everything you eat?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

You gained 20 lbs of muscle did you? Not possible unless unless you have a nice stack running and even then not in a huge deficit like you have.