Socks for running

I've heard a lot about what kind of shoes to wear, but looking at the blisters on my feet, I think I need better socks!
Does anyone have a preference? Is softer better? Tight fitting? I was using the cheap hanes socks and could feel them rubbing my foot raw :(
Thank you!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Smartwool socks are my favorite.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Injingi with the individual toes helped me a lot on long distances and also darn tough socks work well for me.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Injinji
    Darn Tough
    Smart Wool
    Experia

I use all of the above, but your feet/preference may vary.
  • lori_malo
    lori_malo Posts: 10 Member
    Just like running shoes all types. Does your foot sweat a lot, are you a minimalistic runner, do you like cushion, do you need support around the arch. Most running socks are cushioned in the forefoot and heel, seamless, and dry wick type material. I personally use the Thor lo experia sock. Works for my foot in my shoe. I would buy one pair try it out and if you don't like buy a different type and find out what works with your foot.
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    I had terrible blisters with any kind of socks i tried until I impulse bought some at a race that had 2 layers made in them. I think they work by rubbing against themselves rather than your feet. try to google something like that, it worked really well for me.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Been a runner for over fifty years and have always worn the same cotton blend socks I wear for most everything else.

Sounds to me like your shoes don't fit you correctly.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i dont have blister issues so can't help wit htat (sounds like the wrong shoe for you, honestly)

i love the balega socks (have some on now LOL).
  • rgbmore
    rgbmore Posts: 85 Member
    The blister thing just started now that I'm running "longer." (just barely made it to running 3 miles.) I'll take my shoes back to the running store to double check they fitted me with the ideal ones. I think some good running socks as well will seal the deal. I had no idea there was such a variety.
    Thank you!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i would get blister with cotton based socks. once i got better socks, blisters went away-for the most part. somedays, just not so much
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    What some don't realize is that an athletic shoe should fit you perfectly from the first instant you put it on. There is no break in for athletic shoes.

Leather shoes need to break in, not rubber, plastic and nylon athletic shoes.
  • salsup317
    salsup317 Posts: 15 Member
    Try a non cotton sock, that can cause issues for some. I like Feetures and love CEP for tall compression socks for longer runs. If the blister thing continues, try a dab of Body Glide on those spots you get blisters.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I tend to believe that running socks are just a marketing ploy to sell 25 dollar socks. I'm not falling for it.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    I think it depends upon your feet and distance as to whether you need special socks or not.
    I had the blister problem, and then I was told about these: R-Gear Drymax Dry-As-A-Bone Thin Cushion
    and for me they work. No more blisters/pain. They are around 3 for $30.
    On a long run a few weeks ago I wore a different pair (all the R-Gear were dirty I guess). Around mile 7 the bottoms of my feet were hurting and I thought it was because I hadn't run that far in a while. Then when I got home I realized I had on different socks. Ran a HM on Sunday with the R-Gears and not a single problem with feet. So I guess for me, I need a no-cotton sock.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Blisters are generally caused by two main culprits, moisture and friction. The reason that you haven't had the issue on shorter runs is probably because your socks haven't had enough time to soak up all the sweat, and you haven't had enough time for the repeated friction to develop a blister.

For me, anything under 3-4 miles I'm good with a single pair of socks. Over that, I opt for 2 pairs. It helps to absorb more of the sweat, makes the shoes a little tighter so they can't rub as much, and if they do rub, they tend to rub against each other and not against my skin.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    rgbmore wrote: »
    I've heard a lot about what kind of shoes to wear, but looking at the blisters on my feet, I think I need better socks!
    Does anyone have a preference? Is softer better? Tight fitting? I was using the cheap hanes socks and could feel them rubbing my foot raw :(
    Thank you!

Double-layered WrightSox are the ONLY thing I wear anymore. Cured my blisters. I buy them on Amazon now. Can't find them anywhere else. They're a bit pricey, but they last for YEARS.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    I love my Asics socks. I like my Adidas socks. I hate my Sketchers socks.

That being said, I also have fitness socks from Walmart that I love. They're cushioned in the right places, no blisters, comfy and black.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    I love my Asics socks. I like my Adidas socks. I hate my Sketchers socks.

That being said, I also have fitness socks from Walmart that I love. They're cushioned in the right places, no blisters, comfy and black.

ETA My Sketchers socks are oddly tight around my ankles and tend to cut off circulation.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    I like some basic New Balance socks. They were like $12 for a 4 pack.
    I also like nice REI wool blends, and smartwool, but they aren't any better than the cotton blend New Balances for me.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I love my Feetures. They are the only socks that don't give me blisters, slip down the back of my foot as work out and don't have annoying seams or bumps over my toes.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited February 2016
    Switched to the first dual-layer, non-cotton running socks when they came out 35+ yrs ago. Never had a blister afterwards--running, hiking, etc. There are lots of options out there now and they don't have to be super expensive. While there are some exceptions to every rule, most people should not try to run in cotton socks.
    Not only are wicking socks more comfortable, but they will last longer as well. I have some old ultamax (later bought by wigwam) socks that I have been working out in for probably 20 years. The newest workout socks I have are at least 10 years old. From that perspective, a $10-$12 pair of socks is pretty cheap.