Help! How to survive eating at summer camp??

Options
I'm leaving to work at a stay-away summer camp where the food isn't very nutritious. I'm talking about a camp that will serve the kids tater tots every day in any way shape and form. Any tips on how to make it through without destroying the hard work I've already done in a matter of days? Please help!

Replies

• rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    Unfortunately, unless you are allowed to bring food yourself, it will be all about portion control of the available food. Sounds like it is going to be difficult but try your best!
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    They usually have some form of fruit or veggie. Focus on what healthy things you can find and portion control. I work at a school and they always have "salad" on the veggie bar (yes its bagged salad, but at least it is lettuce). Take a huge portion of lettuce, cut up a small amount of the "meat" of the day, add any other veggies and have a big dinner salad. I do that a lot with taco day. Good luck
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    Tell them you are gluten-free. Seriously. Live gluten free for the summer - anywhere you work has to make allotment for dietary needs.

Lean meats, rice/potatoes, fruits & veggies.

No breads, no fried foods. Tell them you need to live gluten free. They have to (if you are in the USA) by law deliver a diet appropriate for your dietary restrictions...

Worked at a summer camp a few years ago... by the end of summer, all the other counselors were claiming 'gluten free' too - and a few campers ;)

Oh... and I actually do have Celiacs Disease... bu t none of my co-workers did!
  • Maggs2742
    Maggs2742 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school I lost about 10lbs at a summer camp I went to because the food was soo bad all I ate for 2 weeks was salad off the salad bar thank goodness they at least had that! depending on what they serve go for the fresh veggies non fried items and if you can whole grains or no carbs. if they have burgers one night try not eating the bun, and drink lots of water instead of pop or lemonade, un-sweetened tea is also a good way to go!

good luck!
  • stephgreene
    stephgreene Posts: 143
    Options
    I work at a day camp and I've eaten sleepaway camp food, so I know exactly how you feel. The thing is though (and you're not going to like hearing this), is that you need to learn and practice self-restraint. I know that they serve veggies or have some form of a salad bar... Get a salad with your lunches and dinners instead of the tater tots and then you can feel free to indulge in dessert! Try to not eat fried chicken or foods like that. You can also bring foods with you and on days off go food shopping for some healthy snacks to keep on you. I know camps have fruit also which is good to eat.

I have confidence in you!
  • amandaplz88
    amandaplz88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions! I'll definitely be hitting up the salad bar. Hopefully salad 2x a day won't get too redundant. Wish me luck! :)
  • yodelking591
    Options
    I worked at a summer camp for years. Get friendly with the kitchen staff and maybe they can hook you up with some healthy(er) options. Good luck! John