Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    DC0hen wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    About 7 months ago after not being able to eat for a few days and watching several food movies including Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, I did a 2 week juice fast.

This serves as a great springboard to losing some weight. When I paired this with some severe diet changes (i.e. Proper Food Combinations, Exercise, Portion Control, Sugar reduction/elimination) I was off to a great start.

Some advice that worked for me on "Getting Started"
    • Create a plan
    • Change your diet (Not "go on a diet")
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

To date I am down 30 lbs. I have lost approximately 50 pounds of fat.

If you have juiced or juicing Share your story or recipes

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is propaganda, and as someone else mentioned, there is a sequel where they all had to do it again because they gained the weight back. Regardless, fasting is unnecessary to lose weight.

I agree with your Getting Started tips, except for "Eliminate Sugar". Sugar doesn't make you fat, extra calories do, regardless of where they come from. Plenty of people here have lost tons of weight while still eating everything they used to eat, just smaller portions. Sugary snacks can be an easy item to cut back on to lower your calories though, but I never overate sugar - I tend to overeat savory meals and watching my portion sizes was the key for me.

And I have the same question someone else did? How do you juice and eliminate sugar? Juicing removes the fiber and leaves just the sugar and other nutrients. I personally would rather eat those couple of hundred calories of fruit & veg to fill me up, rather than drink them, but to each his own.

I have to question gaining 20 lbs of muscle in 7 months while eating at enough of a deficit to lose 30 lbs total. I can't imagine how that's physically possible.

Congrats on your weight loss, even if I am quibbling with the details. In my experience it's much easier for people to make small changes to their diet and activity, rather than such drastic modifications that they may struggle with and not stick to for life. But it's great you found something that worked for you.

So just to be clear the juice fast was a short term deal to get nutrients while I couldn't eat.

As for dietary changes, I still eat a normal diet and exercise regularly. I may juice as a supplement after a meal that may not have been full of nutrients. The sugars in juice (kale, carrots, celery, ginger, etc) are all nutural.

As for packing on 20 lbs of muscle. I am not at a calorie deficit. I ingest on average 1800 to 2000 calories a day with 3 full meals and 2 to 3 snacks in between.

A 30 pound weight loss and 20 pounds of muscle is nothing extraordinary over 6 months.

Thanks for your remarks.

Um...., actually yes.....yes it is, especially when you're saying that you're eating at enough of a deficit to lose 30 lbs of fat.

Also, you say you're not at a deficit, but are only eating 1800-2000 cals a day. Surely if you're doing the work to put on 20lbs of muscle, 1800-2000 cals has to be a deficit?

Putting on 20lbs in 6 months is twice the natural rate in any context even when running a GFH bulk.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    How do you juice and eliminate sugar?

Eliminating added sugars. Like coffee, sodas, desserts. If your eating fruits and veggies you can't eliminate natural fructose.

But eating fast foods, like you know Chipotle (almost every day) and pizza!! LOL, ;)

ETA: I doubtful you gained 20 pounds of muscle eating barely 1500-1600 calories, checking your food diary in the last 7 days OP only hit 1700 calories once. JS
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    About 7 months ago after not being able to eat for a few days and watching several food movies including Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, I did a 2 week juice fast.

This serves as a great springboard to losing some weight. When I paired this with some severe diet changes (i.e. Proper Food Combinations, Exercise, Portion Control, Sugar reduction/elimination) I was off to a great start.

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is propaganda, and as someone else mentioned, there is a sequel where they all had to do it again because they gained the weight back. Regardless, fasting is unnecessary to lose weight.

I agree with your Getting Started tips, except for "Eliminate Sugar". Sugar doesn't make you fat, extra calories do, regardless of where they come from. Plenty of people here have lost tons of weight while still eating everything they used to eat, just smaller portions. Sugary snacks can be an easy item to cut back on to lower your calories though, but I never overate sugar - I tend to overeat savory meals and watching my portion sizes was the key for me.

And I have the same question someone else did? How do you juice and eliminate sugar? Juicing removes the fiber and leaves just the sugar and other nutrients. I personally would rather eat those couple of hundred calories of fruit & veg to fill me up, rather than drink them, but to each his own.

I have to question gaining 20 lbs of muscle in 7 months while eating at enough of a deficit to lose 30 lbs total. I can't imagine how that's physically possible.

Congrats on your weight loss, even if I am quibbling with the details. In my experience it's much easier for people to make small changes to their diet and activity, rather than such drastic modifications that they may struggle with and not stick to for life. But it's great you found something that worked for you.

So just to be clear the juice fast was a short term deal to get nutrients while I couldn't eat.

As for dietary changes, I still eat a normal diet and exercise regularly. I may juice as a supplement after a meal that may not have been full of nutrients. The sugars in juice (kale, carrots, celery, ginger, etc) are all nutural.

As for packing on 20 lbs of muscle. I am not at a calorie deficit. I ingest on average 1800 to 2000 calories a day with 3 full meals and 2 to 3 snacks in between.

A 30 pound weight loss and 20 pounds of muscle is nothing extraordinary over 6 months.

Thanks for your remarks.

Yes... yes it is. At best, a natural lifter under optimal conditions and genetics can gain about .5lb/weeks. At 20lbs, that would be 40 weeks of optimal muscle growth under ideal eating, sleeping, lifting, diet, and genetic conditions. That's, at minimum, 10 months of effort under optimal conditions using the math alone.

Thanks for the clarification. Based on your math, which make sense, then I'm not sure what happened. I'm just going based on measurements at the gym.

What type of measurements where you taking? If in doubt take a Bod Pod or Dexa scan and see what your BF% is. The Navy method is useful but can be deceiving since you need to be very consistent with your tape measure.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I hope nobody confuses "free sugar" with no calories and no consequences. Most juice unless it is tomato juice or V8 has 100 calories or more a cup. The only "free" juice that I know of is diet cranberry for five calories a cup.
  • DC0hen
    DC0hen Posts: 47 Member
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

Thanks for your remarks.

Yes... yes it is. At best, a natural lifter under optimal conditions and genetics can gain about .5lb/weeks. At 20lbs, that would be 40 weeks of optimal muscle growth under ideal eating, sleeping, lifting, diet, and genetic conditions. That's, at minimum, 10 months of effort under optimal conditions using the math alone.

Thanks for the clarification. Based on your math, which make sense, then I'm not sure what happened. I'm just going based on measurements at the gym.

What type of measurements where you taking? If in doubt take a Bod Pod or Dexa scan and see what your BF% is. The Navy method is useful but can be deceiving since you need to be very consistent with your tape measure.

Not some very good ones. Lol

The guy took my weight and a grip test for fat and compared. That was done at another gym which I no longer attend. Glad I changed.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

Thanks for your remarks.

The guy took my weight and a grip test for fat and compared. That was done at another gym which I no longer attend. Glad I changed.

Did he happen to know which end of the calipers to use? ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I hope nobody confuses "free sugar" with no calories and no consequences. Most juice unless it is tomato juice or V8 has 100 calories or more a cup. The only "free" juice that I know of is diet cranberry for five calories a cup.

If you juice most fruits yes, but some people just juice vegetables, or fruits that people tend think of as vegetables, so they will have far less like V8.
  • DC0hen
    Options
    Obviously he didn't. Guess you can't always trust the sales man "trainers" in the gyms.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

• Create a plan
    • Exercise
    • Eliminate Sugar
    • Create peer support

Thanks for your remarks.

Yeah, not the best way to get stats that's for sure! Determining body fat is not an exact science, the only thing that gets close is the Dexa scans or something similar, and even that's got a margin of error. I wouldn't worry much about body fat percent at this point in time. Focus on calories, getting the nutrition you need, and the exercise you're doing. The scale will fluctuate, but if you're accurate on calories in and calories out, it will trend down. Also, don't rely on just the number on the scale. Pay attention to how your body looks and start using measurements. If you're building muscle at the same time as losing fat, it may not reflect as well on the scale as it will with your measurements. Take a weekly picture if it helps so you have a record you can compare to over time.
  • DC0hen
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice dubird.

I'm trying to get well over the 2k mark every day.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Really??? That's not what your food diary say's, you mostly got 1500-1600 calories, with one day hitting 1700 calories, that's checking 7 days.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You gained 20 lbs of muscle in 7 months?!

I was wondering the exact same thing. Gaining that much WHILE being on a deficit is impossible.

Exactly!

Here is a pretty detailed article about how muscle gained and time needed: The Truth About Bulking. Is bulking up to gain muscle a good idea?

Additionally, it doesnt appear that you consume even remotely enough protein to sustain that kind of gain.
  • DC0hen
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Really??? That's not what your food diary say's, you mostly got 1500-1600 calories, with one day hitting 1700 calories, that's checking 7 days.

Trying is the key. I will double up on some meals just to try to hit the goal but still only coming in close.
  • DC0hen
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    You gained 20 lbs of muscle in 7 months?!

I was wondering the exact same thing. Gaining that much WHILE being on a deficit is impossible.

Exactly!

Here is a pretty detailed article about how muscle gained and time needed: The Truth About Bulking. Is bulking up to gain muscle a good idea?

Additionally, it doesnt appear that you consume even remotely enough protein to sustain that kind of gain.

Thanks for the article. Need to consult here more than the my old gym sales consultants.
  • DC0hen
    Options
    Masterval,

Thanks for that great article. Lots of valuable information there.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What works for some, may not work for others.

What seems logical to some, isn't to others.

I started the FSAND juicing regimen on January 12, with a 5-day plan, 7 day pause, then I just finished a 10 day plan. To date, I am down 15 lbs.

The "juice diet" is not strictly juices, but more of a supplementation of juicing and fruit/vegetable eating plan.

There's salads, soups, etc. The idea is to eliminate animal proteins, caffeine, processed sugars for a period of time. It's not considered a solution, but a jump start to get you going in the right direction with a healthy mentality towards a vegetable-based nutrition plan. I now see what I can "live" on, and it's changed the way I see food and think about dieting.

Thank You. Totally agree.

I haven't eliminated animal proteins, but processed and refined sugars are out.

Isn't juicing a form of processing food? Or are we just using "processing" to refer to the processing methods that aren't included on your plan?

The WHO actually exempts juice from it's "intrinsic sugars don't count toward the 5% recommended limit." Juice is considered a "free sugar."

Drinking fruit juice often gives me a sugar rush (which can be quite useful in some circumstances, like before a run).

Yep, same for me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    How do you juice and eliminate sugar?

Eliminating added sugars. Like coffee, sodas, desserts. If your eating fruits and veggies you can't eliminate natural fructose.

Coffee doesn't have any sugar. Sure, if you like that sort of thing (I don't) you can add some, but that's not the coffee's fault.

Poor coffee.... just trying to give people a boost, and instead gets backhanded...

So unfair! Someone (that would be me) has to stand up for the coffee.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Free sugar, as used by the WHO, means non-intrinsic sugar (or the equivalent)--what is often called added sugar. They say to keep free sugar (including juice) to less than 10% of calories, and ideally 5% or less.

Of course, the reasoning isn't that sugar is horrible, awful, terrible, and very bad, but simply that including lots of free sugars in the diet tends to result in too many calories (often because they are combined with fat and extremely tasty).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Azercord wrote: »
    I haven't eliminated animal proteins, but processed and refined sugars are out.

I guess that means there are no breads or anything along that line in your diet now? Last time I checked most of those have sugar. Grats on the weight loss but know your stuff before posting or these threads will eat you alive.

The key is added sugars.

You can eat pasta, breads etc. It's the quality and quantity. No wonder bread

That's the thing, pasta and bread is made with added sugar. I agree no wonder bread, they use way to much sugar, but pretty much any bread you buy will have sugar as an ingredient. So the question is, how much added sugar is too much? And why not set it as a macro so you can balance it across everything you eat?

Pasta won't.

Not that it's a big deal.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Op, you made a thread about juicing and what not, others pointed out vast errors in your information including your own personal information about what you weigh, what you eat, how much muscle to fat ratio, etc. etc... and you presented all this factual information and in fact it is not.

Not sure what you are trying to sell here. As you can see MFP community does not believe in juice fasts (CICO to loose weight all the way) and why trump your own personal facts to sell an idea on a thread?

Sigh.. I hope anyone new to MFP that comes to this thread will read it through entirely.