Extreme beginner

Options
I'm super out of shape and I know it. Even walking up a couple flights of stairs has my heart rate up. I had carpal tunnel surgery a couple years ago and ever since then I fell off completely. Even trying to hold up my own body weight is a challenge for me now since I don't think I ever regained strength in my wrists.

So my question is, what are some good exercises that I can be doing? I don't want to just stick with walking, running, jogging routine. I need to switch it up and really make this work. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If you're that out of shape, start with walking. That's the place to begin.
    There are TONS of great programs out there, and what one person enjoys, someone else might hate. Look for something that looks like fun that you'll want to stick with.
    For example, before my back went, I loved dance exercise like Zumba. I've been watching the hip-hop dancercise class at my local community center and it looks like a blast!
    For weight-training/toning, you can use wrist-weights that wrap around your arms instead of trying to grip something like resistance bands or dumbbells.

The two most important things are don't go so fast and do so much that you injure yourself right out of the box, and to find something that looks like fun to you. If you don't enjoy it, you won't want to do it. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Walking and stairs to start. You will be able to track progress by getting a step counter which can help.

You could follow a fitness routine on YouTube or if you are more social, join a fitness club or sports team of some sort.

I suggest you try lots of different things and keep with the ones you enjoy.
  • Ketzalitzli2
    Ketzalitzli2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the walking and stairs daily so far but I'd like to start adding to that in order to keep it interesting. I really want to start doing some strength training and getting my mobility back in my upper body.