How do you all keep your motivation

Options
Just asking around. How do you all keep your motivation to exercise and follow your workout schedule ( if you have one)

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    By seeing my wedding picture. I'm fat in them, and that's not what I want for myself. I want to be able to have a picture taken or look in the mirror and recognize the person there.

Plus, I don't do well with exercise; i can always find something else I'd rather do! XD Having an app like Zombies Run at least keeps my mind occupied, and getting into the story makes me want to go ahead and have a walk so i can find out what happens next.
  • one2bskiny
    one2bskiny Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom. So it's easier for me.. I jump outta bed and first thing put my work out clothes & shoes on. And that motivates me to make sure I get my work out in. :smiley: and by noon I'm done.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

"Motivation" has very little to do with it. I exercise 5/6 days a week because I exercise 5/6 days a week, much like I go to work 5 days a week, take the trash out when it needs taking out, clean my clothes when necessary, make the bed, walk the puppy, feed the puppy and my family, load/empty the dishwasher when necessary and do all of the other necessary things that make life livable, bearable and pleasant. Our daily exercise routine is just one more thing we do to make life pleasant. By the way, How do you MOTIVATE yourself to brush your teeth EVERY MORNING?

How about we stop making this, exercising, more difficult than it should be? Let's just include it in the many things we do each to be better. Just like there are days I really don't want to go to work, there are days I really don't feel like exercising. I do both, however, because that is what I do. I have NEVER regretted doing an exercise routine.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the process so I don't need motivation. I enjoy eating healthily and not overeating and I enjoy exercise. If you find the whole process tiresome, maybe you should look at revamping your goals/approach. Increase your calories and either decrease effort in exercise so you never dread it, or switch to some form of exercise you like more.
  • JediMasterNaw
    JediMasterNaw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've found it comes down far more to determination than to motivation. Motivation may have gotten us started on this journey, but determination keeps us going for the long haul. Motivation (and willpower) runs out after a while, but if you're determined to change your life and determined to be healthier, you will find it within your power to do the things you don't feel like doing even on the days when you want to do the exact opposite.
  • timo112
    timo112 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've kept all my old clothes since I've gained the weight. Each week I try them on and each week they're fitting less tight; progress/results keep me going.
  • CherieQ72
    CherieQ72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Motivation is nice when it arrives but it comes and goes. Habit is what you should be aiming for ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Motivation is a next to useless emotion...even when people are doing things they more or less enjoy, nobody is always going to be 100% motivated to do them. We all do things every single day that we aren't necessarily motivated to do...but they need doing, so you do them. How do you motivate yourself every day to go to work or class? How do you motivate yourself to get into the shower? How do you motivate yourself to clean the house or clean up the yard?

The problem is that people tend to look at exercise as this weird "extra" thing...it's not an extra thing...it's just as important as anything else you're doing daily to maintain yourself and your surroundings. It helps to be doing something you enjoy doing and it also helps to have some kind of structure to your plan...to include appropriate rest and recovery...but yeah...nobody is motivated all of the time. Discipline and consistency is where it's at...motivation is over-rated and just about a notch above useless.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I've found it comes down far more to determination than to motivation. Motivation may have gotten us started on this journey, but determination keeps us going for the long haul. Motivation (and willpower) runs out after a while, but if you're determined to change your life and determined to be healthier, you will find it within your power to do the things you don't feel like doing even on the days when you want to do the exact opposite.

This.

Maybe you should change your routine (if you have one). I have fibro and psoriatic arthritis that is currently flaring so it's more challenging to do my normal routine but I adapt. I love roller skating and to me that's not 'exercise' it's getting cardio in and it's fun to do. Maybe you need to find something you enjoy doing.
  • TheWidowJones
    TheWidowJones Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "Motivation" has very little to do with it. I exercise 5/6 days a week because I exercise 5/6 days a week, much like I go to work 5 days a week ... and do all of the other necessary things that make life livable, bearable and pleasant. Our daily exercise routine is just one more thing we do to make life pleasant. By the way, How do you MOTIVATE yourself to brush your teeth EVERY MORNING?

How about we stop making this, exercising, more difficult than it should be? Let's just include it in the many things we do each to be better. Just like there are days I really don't want to go to work, there are days I really don't feel like exercising. I do both, however, because that is what I do. I have NEVER regretted doing an exercise routine.

Actually, motivation has everything to do with it. What motivates you is to put in the category of one of the things you do in your life to "make life livable, bearable, and pleasant." And good for you! That's awesome you can see it that way!

For me, and others I'm sure, going to the gym is does not make life livable, bearable, or pleasant. It's annoying as h*ll and I hate every sweat-filled minute of it. All of it. Hate it. I'm not making it more difficult that it should be, because for me, it is difficult. Period. But the results are there, and those results are my motivation to continue.
  • TheWidowJones
    TheWidowJones Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Yes.
  • nevergiveup66
    nevergiveup66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I LOVE working out because I love the way i feel after and how relaxed my body is. But I also have a lazy side to me where I'll just miss a couple days. I hate that. I wanna get rid of my lazy lol
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "Motivation" has very little to do with it. I exercise 5/6 days a week because I exercise 5/6 days a week, much like I go to work 5 days a week ... and do all of the other necessary things that make life livable, bearable and pleasant. Our daily exercise routine is just one more thing we do to make life pleasant. By the way, How do you MOTIVATE yourself to brush your teeth EVERY MORNING?

Actually, motivation has everything to do with it. What motivates you is to put in the category of one of the things you do in your life to "make life livable, bearable, and pleasant." And good for you! That's awesome you can see it that way!

For me, and others I'm sure, going to the gym is does not make life livable, bearable, or pleasant. It's annoying as h*ll and I hate every sweat-filled minute of it. All of it. Hate it. I'm not making it more difficult that it should be, because for me, it is difficult. Period. But the results are there, and those results are my motivation to continue.

So sorry that you have to make your life so miserable. Perhaps you should try to find something you enjoy. Life is too short to be so put upon. Seems you have not found the right exercise program for you. Maybe you should continue your search. As you say: "But the results are there, and those results are my motivation to continue." thereby making your life better, livable, bearable and pleasant. Much like going to work every day, it's something we do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I LOVE working out because I love the way i feel after and how relaxed my body is. But I also have a lazy side to me where I'll just miss a couple days. I hate that. I wanna get rid of my lazy lol

You should be having 1 or 2 rest days per week...rest and recovery is just as important as the work. Having a couple of days off isn't necessarily lazy...it's actually good for you.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good points in this thread. I wanted to quote them all.

One specific trick I sometimes use when I am feeling less than inspired to do my scheduled run, workout, whatever, is to tell myself that I will just do a little bit of it, a short, slow run or only the parts of my yoga video that are easy and make me feel good. But once I start, 99% of the time I complete whatever workout I had scheduled to do, and more often than not, these end up being the best workouts. On the rare occasions that I just can't muster up the energy to push myself through it, I realize that the underlying cause must be that my body really did need the rest.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Everyone who has said that determination is more important than motivation is right. While motivation is great, it's determination and discipline that is doing to get you to the gym when you are feeling lazy.

Think of it like work. You wouldn't skip those just because you were feeling lazy.
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Exactly 100%
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to fit into my clothes, and I don't want my lack of fitness to impact my life or prevent me from doing anything I want to.
  • NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    By seeing the results of my hard work. That motivates me to go to work out everyday. Also, once you do something long enough, it becomes routine. Once it becomes routine, you must do it or everything else feels off.