5K, 10K, or Marathon Plans?

Options
Anyone have any plans to run any races this year? My goal is to run 5 5Ks in 2016. Wish me luck!

Replies

• ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    2 halfs planned so far, April 2nd and May 7th, and deciding if I'll throw a full marathon in the fall or do something else. Good luck!
  • violet1723
    violet1723 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Ash_Dvm! How long are you training for for each half? Are you a seasoned runner?
  • MiniNyoom
    MiniNyoom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a 5k set up for my upcoming 20th birthday! I'm still training for it, but according to C25K, that will be the day I'll hit my first 5k run. Everything plans out perfectly!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm running a half next weekend, then a 10K in March, 2 15Ks in April and May, and another half in June. I may try for a race every month this year.

I'd never managed more than 5K in September 2015 but did a half training program and now I find it pretty manageable. I'm no racer and I'll never be competitive but I think the experience is fun.
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    violet1723 wrote: »
    Hi Ash_Dvm! How long are you training for for each half? Are you a seasoned runner?

Couple years of running, got more serious about it the last year. These will be my first 2 halfs. Been training for a couple months, but the structured plan started in January, giving me 12 weeks of a plan for the first, then just maintain and recover for a week following, and repeat a few of the weeks before the 2nd.

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half marathon 2 weeks ago. I'm doing another half in March and then a full in June.

I was never a runner before and c25k got me started. Now I'm hooked!
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Just winging it this year
  • maureented
    maureented Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any plans to run any races this year? My goal is to run 5 5Ks in 2016. Wish me luck!
    Good luck. You got this! I'm running a 5k on March 5th.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    So far signed up for a half-marathon in May, a 20km trail run in August and a marathon in October. As soon as registration opens for the Army Run I'll be signing up for another HM in September but I'll treat that as a training run for the October race.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Good luck.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Running the 8k shamrock race in March. I also run a 5k race sponsored by my kid's school in november.

There are others I'd probably enjoy, but I generally can't bring myself to spend $40-$80 to run a race - lol.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Just Completed a HM last Weekend, my first so that is my PB/Bench Mark that I will judge my future HM's by.
    Basically 2:13, 2nd in my AG ( of course there were only 2 in the AG so guaranteed Placement Medal ).
    Off to Edmonton, AB in 2 weeks for the Hypothermic Half ( the best Post Run Buffet of any event ).

Just noticed an MFP Blog about 5K and 10K Training Plans. that has some great information for anyone just working up to their first distance run.

My long Term Plan is doing a HM in Every Canadian Province/Territory and the State's bordering my western roots, Alaska, Washington, Montana and North Dakota. Have some friends on the Eastern Sea Board who have offered me a free spot in the Basement to attend a HM in there area.
    I also want to Hit Greenland, Iceland, Scotland, Norway and the Ukraine as we have family ties to these countries.
  • fat2fit779
    fat2fit779 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Women's Running 10k in May and a 5k CRUK Pretty Muddy (with my 13yo daughter) in September.
    I'm currently re-doing C25K after a break from running and just completed W6R1 this evening :smile:
  • girlonfire10
    girlonfire10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first 1/2 in June, and I have a 10K in March. Very nervous as I am a new runner.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I have 10ks planned for March and June but am a walker. 5k planned for August which I'm thinking about training to run. I require a beautiful route, which we have many of in my area
  • mandyrene21
    mandyrene21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first 5K. :smile:
  • AmberNLettau
    AmberNLettau Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first 5k. The first race I am doing is more like a cool chillaxed type of thing. It's in June and it is at night. So everything is glow in the dark. Kinda cool, huh? I felt like it was a good way for myself to reward "ME" for putting forth all my effort in training. After that, I plan on doing some more serious races to improve pace and build up strength for longer more draining races. C25K and then 5K-10K! I am so excited for this year. I never thought that I could be a runner but I am finding out that the more I push myself, the more endurance and stamina I have.
  • bday1216
    bday1216 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am walking in 3 5ks this year. April, June, and September. I already walked the Hot Chocolate 5K in January
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I've got a 16km next month, then a 13.5km trail/hill run in May, which is a proper runners' run, I had to provide a race certificate for a 10km race to prove I was fast enough! I'm a bit nervous about it as it's apparently quite challenging, but also excited as it's a race against an old steam train, and my kids and husband will be passengers.
    Then I have a half in July and a full marathon in October. My first in both category (though I've run a half by distance by myself a few times so far)

And to think it wasn't so long ago I didn't even like running!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I reckon I'll toe the line at a summer race. Prob a Half M, 10k, 5k. But several for fall, winter. Took 7months off running. Just getting going again this week! Been running since 2008. Dozen marathons and several Halfs, 10k, 5ks.

For the race plans, I'll either use Sage Canaday's (pro runner) Advanced plan or create my own custom plan.