Buzzfeed Calories Article

Options
I am shamefully an avid Buzzfeed reader and I've just noticed they've posted another "X things you didn't know about y".

Why am I telling you guys this? It's all about cutting calories. Thought you'd all quite like to have a little gander at it. What do you think?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sallytamarkin/how-to-cut-calories#.gtXrrDgwOZ

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I disagree with several of their points...but it's a buzzfeed article so it's not surprising that it's full of misinformation.
  • robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My personal fave from that

"Just eyeball it"

THAT'S WHAT GOT ME IN THIS DAMN MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I disagree with several of their points...but it's a buzzfeed article so it's not surprising that it's full of misinformation.

Which points do you disagree with?

• juggernaut1974
    Options

Are you trying to make me click on it again?? :)

OK...

2 "First of all, your body adapts to losing weight, so that 500-calorie deficit has incrementally less effect as time goes on" (no - a 500 calorie deficit is a 500 calorie deficit)

3 "Since there’s no mathematic equation for weight loss" (umm...no, it's entirely a mathematic equation)

7 "But you should not eat less than 1,000–1,200 calories per day" (well...technically I agree I guess, but I'd set the threshhold much higher)

8 " You want to cut them from highly processed foods." (no...makes no difference which calories you cut)

9 "Replace the calories you’re cutting with foods that are less processed (and as a result not as calorie-dense)." (Again, 'processing' isn't the determining factor...and I have to laugh that the picture accompanying this point is of a half of an avocado - perhaps one of THE most calorie dense foods there is)

11 "Low-fat diets (technically any diet where less than 30% of your calories come from fat) are tough to stick to" (for SOME people)

12 "Be on the lookout for products that are labeled as low fat or reduced fat, because they tend to have more added sugar than the full-fat versions...In those products, they’ve “replaced fat — which the body needs and mouth likes — with sugar, which is not needed and not satiating," (for SOME people)

14 "When possible, don’t start your meal with a starch" (huh???)

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Fair call @juggernaut1974 Thanks for clarifying :smile:

I agree with their number 11 point. Low fat does not work for me at all.
    yeah and your body getting used to the same deficit hasn't rung true for me. so agree with you there.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

OK...

2 "First of all, your body adapts to losing weight, so that 500-calorie deficit has incrementally less effect as time goes on" (no - a 500 calorie deficit is a 500 calorie deficit)

3 "Since there’s no mathematic equation for weight loss" (umm...no, it's entirely a mathematic equation)

7 "But you should not eat less than 1,000–1,200 calories per day" (well...technically I agree I guess, but I'd set the threshhold much higher)

8 " You want to cut them from highly processed foods." (no...makes no difference which calories you cut)

9 "Replace the calories you’re cutting with foods that are less processed (and as a result not as calorie-dense)." (Again, 'processing' isn't the determining factor...and I have to laugh that the picture accompanying this point is of a half of an avocado - perhaps one of THE most calorie dense foods there is)

11 "Low-fat diets (technically any diet where less than 30% of your calories come from fat) are tough to stick to" (for SOME people)

12 "Be on the lookout for products that are labeled as low fat or reduced fat, because they tend to have more added sugar than the full-fat versions...In those products, they’ve “replaced fat — which the body needs and mouth likes — with sugar, which is not needed and not satiating," (for SOME people)

Just jumping in to say cool new profile pic! :)
  • juggernaut1974
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Fair call @juggernaut1974 Thanks for clarifying :smile:

I agree with their number 11 point. Low fat does not work for me at all.
    yeah and your body getting used to the same deficit hasn't rung true for me. so agree with you there.

Yeah I agree some people don't do well on it. My disagreement is with the blanket statement that the author made.

And thanks @strong_curves :)
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The other thing that prevents weight loss from happening in this simple, linear way is that over time, the body's response to weight loss causes hormonal changes that make it harder to burn calories. "Those hormonal changes become more significant as you get leaner," St. Pierre says.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    #7 should have been a lot more clearer that there are different calorie minimums for men. Since the 'article' mentioned MFP I wonder how many new users are going to come believing some of the misinformation and spouting it off as truth.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    #7 should have been a lot more clearer that there are different calorie minimums for men. Since the 'article' mentioned MFP I wonder how many new users are going to come believing some of the misinformation and spouting it off as truth.

In my experience, a lot. There's always waves of threads about certain topics, I'm pretty sure they're caused because some magazine, TV show or website came out with a new thing on weight loss.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Their thing about "counting calories isn't for everyone" didn't jive too well with their follow up "find room for things you love." I would be left feeling very confused as to how I would find room for my peanut butter oreos if I didn't have a good grasp of my calories for the day. You have to count the calories to learn the calorie density of foods and how you can fit in the foods you love. I guess the phrase "you'll miss it and feel deprived AF" was included to make sure we remembered we were reading a buzzfeed article. Upping your journalistic quality would be stupid AF! Amirite?!

Basically I think they presented some correct and some incorrect info in a very confusing manner. But, it's buzzfeed...so...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Their thing about "counting calories isn't for everyone" didn't jive too well with their follow up "find room for things you love." I would be left feeling very confused as to how I would find room for my peanut butter oreos if I didn't have a good grasp of my calories for the day. You have to count the calories to learn the calorie density of foods and how you can fit in the foods you love. I guess the phrase "you'll miss it and feel deprived AF" was included to make sure we remembered we were reading a buzzfeed article. Upping your journalistic quality would be stupid AF! Amirite?!

Basically I think they presented some correct and some incorrect info in a very confusing manner. But, it's buzzfeed...so...

now i want peanut butter oreos.....

thanks.

LOLOLOL
  • robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    Options

now i want peanut butter oreos.....

thanks.

LOLOLOL

I didn't even know peanut butter Oreos were a thing?!

WANT. WANT NOW

• soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    PB Oreos are my favorite of all the flavors! I like to eat the top cookie first so I can. get the full hit of PB goodness from the other cookie. I like anything peanut butter. All time favorite is a delicious PB&J.

• murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    My personal fave from that

"Just eyeball it"

THAT'S WHAT GOT ME IN THIS DAMN MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE

Haha exactly! I saw the article last night and that was the biggest thing I noticed...telling people who are overweight and trying to cut calories to "eyeball" it is ridiculous.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Point 2 is totally dumb. A 500 calorie deficit will always be a 500 calorie deficit. You just have to adjust your calorie goal as you go...

Otherwise, doesn't sound so crazy to me.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    The 'eating off small plates' thing makes no sense to me. If you're counting your calories and carefully measuring out your portions then you know how much you're eating regardless of plate size.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

OK...

With regard to #9, the article says:

"Super-processed foods like soda, chips, and sweetened coffees have lots of calories but don’t really help you feel full (or provide, you know, nutrition). They also enter and leave the body quickly — they require less chewing and digestion, which means they just don’t leave you feeling like you really actually ate, says Lofton. They also tend to be high in carbs with no protein, which means your blood sugar spikes and drops, leaving you hungry.
    So, the thing you want to do is cut calories from the stuff that doesn’t contribute to your nutrition or help you feel full — sugary drinks, sweets, alcohol and mixers, and any ultraprocessed foods. The good news is that you actually can cut this stuff and still feel full and satisfied, which isn’t really the case when you cut out whole foods. Craving sugary stuff is a whole other thing, but there are ways to deal with those cravings."

This is absolutely correct. The author is NOT saying cutting "super-processed" calories makes one lose weight more quickly than cutting other calories. Rather, she refers to other benefits. There is an odd hostility on these boards to those of us who are anti-"junk food." I'm not sure I understand it.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It's not a well written article. I think they were trying to say that the number that is a 500 calorie deficit when you start will not remain a 500 cal. deficit as you lose weight.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited February 2016
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

OK...

With regard to #9, the article says:

"Super-processed foods like soda, chips, and sweetened coffees have lots of calories but don’t really help you feel full (or provide, you know, nutrition). They also enter and leave the body quickly — they require less chewing and digestion, which means they just don’t leave you feeling like you really actually ate, says Lofton. They also tend to be high in carbs with no protein, which means your blood sugar spikes and drops, leaving you hungry.
    So, the thing you want to do is cut calories from the stuff that doesn’t contribute to your nutrition or help you feel full — sugary drinks, sweets, alcohol and mixers, and any ultraprocessed foods. The good news is that you actually can cut this stuff and still feel full and satisfied, which isn’t really the case when you cut out whole foods. Craving sugary stuff is a whole other thing, but there are ways to deal with those cravings."

This is absolutely correct. The author is NOT saying cutting "super-processed" calories makes one lose weight more quickly than cutting other calories. Rather, she refers to other benefits. There is an odd hostility on these boards to those of us who are anti-"junk food." I'm not sure I understand it.

My contention was with the verbiage I listed. "Processing" is not the determining factor as to whether a food is calorie dense or not, nor is it a good gauge for the types of food(s) one may need to increase in or decrease from one's diet.

That...and the point that they illustrated an example of a 'less processed (hence, less calorie dense food using THEIR words) food' with an avocado.