The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @elise4270 can't wait to get the shirts, they are awesome! Thanks again for mailing them out. Skip wants your cat so you'll have to drop him/her in our box. :smile:

Aw! She's my baby. She's only 7 months old. Best cat ever. She loves to play chase. Does the drive-by jump up and tag you thing. So cute. Never scratches. And just too freekin' smart to be a cat. How many cats can you tell to go pp, and they hit the litter box?

I bet they'd love each other. Her name is Noodles.

@skippygirlsmom If Skip wants a cat. We have 2 that I am trying to get rid of. Serious enquiry. We have 4 in the apartment when we are only allowed 2. One of the extra's was a stray in our complex that Emily took in when I said no. The second, her friend that lives in Arab was getting rid of their kitten and Emily snuck her home without our permission. Apparently mom has grown fond of them and isn't pushing Em to get them new homes.

• RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    In the words of Shaun Cassidy..
    We do run run run, we do run run
    (with apoligies for the earworm)

Leap year, one more day to run, so I'll up the ante
    February
    In it for 60
    Valentines Relay Race this month (whoo hoo) <3

exercise.png
    • 01 - 5.3mi SuperBowl run around the Embarccadero Festivities
    • 03 - 12.6mi
    • 09 - 6.2mi Commute run to work
    • 14 - 3.2 *prelogged: Valentines Couples Relay <3
    • 29 -

Year Totals - 2016 (Goal:600miles)
    c45bf3027cad941.gif

now with the season over I can concentrate or soccer running
  • Hallie82
    Hallie82 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

counter.png

First Half coming up in April
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 I agree with the others, don't go all out and try to run each run as fast as possible, slow easy runs should make up a big part of your training. That being said, congrats on the PR, that's an awesome time!

@juliet3455 Wow, your club did really well in that event. Great bling pic :-)

@moyer566 Oh no, that's bad new on the accident with your new car. Even if dealing with the insurance and getting the car fixed is annoying, at least you weren't hurt! But I can see how it would suck some, especially with a car you've only had for two days. I remember how my aunt bought a factory-new car for the first time in her live last year, and drove a long scratch into it on her own driveway on the very first day. Her old car had had a ton of scratches about which she never cared, but to have it happen to the new care made her really mad...

@rohanivan Welcome to the group! However fast you run your 5k, when you finish it it will be a great success. So you should definitely have a smile on your face! Plus some races have finish line photographers, so in case your race has one, smiling will make for a nicer photo too ^^

@whatang An hour of football and softball training in the same day sound tough enough, 3.3 miles running on top? That's impressive!

@zmcgrandles Sounds like your run was a tough one. I like the idea with a massage ball at work :-)

---

It was stormy and raining all day, but I got really lucky: I had already put on my running clothes and was hunting around for my watch, and at that moment the rain stopped :)
    Still was a bit windy, with lots of little twigs and branches littering the ground and making for nice "agility training" as I spotted most of them only at the last moment in the dark. That was actually fun, but I still kept the run a little shorter than my training plan would have liked.

Oh, and my ski-damaged thumb is a lot better by now - the swelling is mostly gone, and I can bend it ~75% of normal until it gets too painful (Note to self: stop checking every hour how far you can bend it, just leave it in peace for a few more days! ... it's like having a band-aid on a cut and peeking underneath all the time until it doesn't stick anymore, I'm terrible with things like that...)

37.1 km of 120 km done
    exercise.png
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @rohanivan welcome! I wanted to be smiling at the end of my first race last year, but I ended up bursting into tears! It was pretty embarrassing - I thought for sure I was made of tougher stuff than that.

@Elise4270 those shirts are awesome! I wasn't around when the group made the order but if you end up with any extras I'd love to send you some PayPal for one.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ haha at repeatedly bending your thumb to see if it's better. My husband is an OT, and when I have an injury and say, "It hurts when I do this"; his consistent response is "don't do it then".

10.46 km @7:22 min/km; Av HR 133, max HR 144. My last 4 or 5 runs have been much more pleasant since the terrible heat and humidity of the previous couple of weeks has finally broken. Now running at a much more pleasant 22-23C. Humidity still high, but lower temperature makes it ok. It’s still summer, so we could have another hot spell before autumn, but hopefully nothing like what we have had. Feeling pretty good actually. This marathon plan is totally doable I reckon.

1 Feb 6.18 km
    2 Feb sick
    3 Feb sick
    4 Feb Rest
    5 Feb 11.13 km
    6 Feb 6.62 km
    7 Feb 19.00 km (long run)
    8 Feb Rest
    9 Feb 6.28 km
    10 Feb 10.46 km

Total: 59.67 km / 165 km

Races:
    5 June Rocky River Run 21km
    3 July Gold Coast Marathon

exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Virkati Glad to hear you are starting baby steps to getting back on the road!
    @moyer566 Boo to the car problems!
    @rohanivan Welcome! Smiles, grimaces...it can be hard to tell, sometimes, lol!
    @pansamanchada I wanted to say hello since I am also near DC. Which 5K are you registering for?

1/31 Rest
    2/1 6.25 @ 12.00 on the treadmill
    2/2 3.5 (3 @ 11:50 and .5 walking) and strength training
    2/3 Rest day--drove several hours to have coffee with a friend. Couldn't squeeze in a run, but the heart is happy!
    2/4 10.25 @ 11:46 on the treadmill. Fast and Furious (not to be confused with The Fast and the Furious. Or 2 Fast 2 Furious. Or Tokyo Drift.)
    2/5 Planned rest day--taking my daughter on her first college visit!
    2/6 5 @ 10:35 on the treadmill
    (25/25 for the week)

2/7 Rest
    2/8 5 @ 11:23 on the treadmill. Knees were giving me a little trouble at the beginning but warmed up ok.
    2/9 3.25 @ 10:46 on the treadmill and strength training
    2/10
    2/11
    2/12
    2/13
    (8.25/25 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    Feb. 14 Run Your Heart Out 5K, Reston, VA
    Feb. 21 Disney Princess Half Marathon, Orlando, FL

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 can't wait to get the shirts, they are awesome! Thanks again for mailing them out. Skip wants your cat so you'll have to drop him/her in our box. :smile:

Aw! She's my baby. She's only 7 months old. Best cat ever. She loves to play chase. Does the drive-by jump up and tag you thing. So cute. Never scratches. And just too freekin' smart to be a cat. How many cats can you tell to go pp, and they hit the litter box?

@Elise4270 - you should teach Noodles some agility :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihgf8X-_IyM
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Will do a response later tonight but wanted to get my miles in since I seem to be doing it at night when I should be going to bed. I made a goal for myself to be in bed by 10pm, not 10:30, 11:00, 11:30 or later as it has been recently!
    Better earlier run today although still hot (breaking records again at over 90F!). I had to be on a call for part of the last mile which ended up being ok since by then it was warming up. I walked and ran that last mile while listening to a work meeting (boring!) but I am glad I didn't cut my run short to be back home for the call! Much needed rest day tomorrow.

Date..........Miles.........Total
    02/01.......4.15..........4.15 - Treadmill run at the hotel
    02/02.......0.00..........4.15
    02/03.......3.55..........7.70 - Treadmill run at the hotel
    02/04.......0.00..........7.70
    02/05.......4.12........11.82 - Yay for running outdoors!
    02/06.......0.00........11.82
    02/07.....13.20........25.02 - Surf City HM
    02/08.......4.50........29.52 - Agility
    02/09.......6.10........35.62 - +Strength Training

exercise.png

These are my upcoming races, let me know if you are going to be running too:
    02/20/16 - Special Edition Divas Half, Temecula, CA
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

@skippygirlsmom If Skip wants a cat. We have 2 that I am trying to get rid of. Serious enquiry. We have 4 in the apartment when we are only allowed 2. One of the extra's was a stray in our complex that Emily took in when I said no. The second, her friend that lives in Arab was getting rid of their kitten and Emily snuck her home without our permission. Apparently mom has grown fond of them and isn't pushing Em to get them new homes.

She sounds like a gem @elise4270. @stoshew71 I'm sure she would like one, but not Macy. Four cats, yipes! Emily is turning into a teenage cat lady :wink:
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    @pansamanchada I wanted to say hello since I am also near DC. Which 5K are you registering for?
    Hi!! @5BeautifulDays I'm thinking to do the Clarksburg 5K, April 16 see details here https://www.facebook.com/groups/69423670469/
    And I've done the Tim Harmon 5K in Fairfax in the past but I can't seem to find the link to this year's race. I'd like to do that one if they organize it this year.

• CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Just had to share this as I'm a bit excited by my find... I had been using the C25K app on my phone, but recently joined a local running club who were doing a Zero-5k programme, thinking it would be the exact same thing, but soon discovered the club was MUCH tougher than the app. Last night at club for instance we did 2 min run, 1 min walk for an hour, on the app I'm doing 90 second run, 90 second walk for 30 mins, so I struggled a bit with it (the fact that Storm Imogen has just blown into the UK with 100mph winds didn't help either!). But today I discovered an app that will allow me to programme in the intervals I want! I've no doubt that you guys will already be aware of these apps, but for me this is a great find as it now means I can programme in the same intervals as I'm doing at running club and get a few practice runs in between my weekly club runs. Hopefully this will make it much easier for me. I'm eager to get out there and try it now! :)
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Wow - so much awesomeness to catch up on!

@Wendy1Fl - what an adorable running partner!

@Virkati - hooray! rehab is tough, both mentally and physically!

@AdrianChr92 - congrats on the PR!

Today was a lifting day - no running here.
  • DCKgirl03
    DCKgirl03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Bahahahaha yeah our summers here are warm an average days is 30C lol, if I don't run in the early morning before it heats up I don't run period! I don't need to get arrested for running naked lol.
  • DCKgirl03
    DCKgirl03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Another 3.5km done today :-) brings me up to 10/30km. Life is just way to busy here right now. Competition dance season is getting in to full swing for my daughter now. It's officially a zoo!
  • edptanner
    edptanner Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Goal for February (according to my 1/2 marathon training plan) is 63 miles.
    2/1 = 3 miles treadmill
    2/2 = off
    3/3 = 3 miles outside 23 degrees! Brrr!
    3/4 = 3 miles treadmill
    3/5 = unplanned day off
    3/6 = 3.5 outside in St George. Sunshine! Shorts weather!
    3/7 = off
    3/8 = 3 outside (turned into a walk) :(
    3/9 = 4 treadmill - fastest time yet.

• whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @whatang An hour of football and softball training in the same day sound tough enough, 3.3 miles running on top? That's impressive!
    Haha, thanks! Football was yesterday though, so it's not *quite* as crazy as it sounds! Hope your thumb heals up soon :)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

@Elise4270 - you should teach Noodles some agility :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihgf8X-_IyM

Holy hell! She could do that AND run up your leg!

@Stoshew71 LOL! So not funny on your cat problems. I had to beg, but be like "whatever" to get DH to agree to take her in. He's not a cat person, but loves her.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    CariTJR wrote: »
    Just had to share this as I'm a bit excited by my find... I had been using the C25K app on my phone, but recently joined a local running club
    I'm really glad you found a club. I wish I'd been smart enough to find some IRL folks (and my MFP crazies) when I first started. You will learn so much, and will get so much more motivated (and be held accountable, hopefully). I'm excited for you too, here on the other side of the pond.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    [1/31 – 14.01 easy with hills]
    2/1 – 6.08 easy + 4 strides
    2/2 – 9.73 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/3 – 6.30 group run
    2/4 – 11.04 long speed work
    2/5 – scheduled rest day
    2/6 – 15.00 long speed work
    Weekly total 62.16 vs. target 62

2/7 – 11.35 easy 1.5 hour
    2/8 – 5.96 easy + 4 strides
    2/9 – 11.08 warm up, speed work, cool down

February total to date – 76.54

Goal – 62 or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    expected February total - 262 to 265 miles

Today's notes – Today was speed work on the 200m indoor track. The assignment was 2 miles easy, 2 sets of (1000m, 1200m, 1000m) at I pace with same time recovery, 4 x 200m at R pace with 200m recovery, 2 miles easy. I chopped the end to 1 mile easy because it seemed the best place to trim a mile so I don't go over my weekly target. This is the first of 3 peak mileage weeks in my plan. I feel pretty good right now, not beat up at all; and I don't want to mess that up by running farther than this aggressive plan calls for.

The speed work today was challenging. That's about 4 miles total at I pace (roughly, PR 5K pace) then some repeats at R pace (roughly, 1 mile race pace). I was a bit surprised that I still had 4 x 200 at R left in me after I got done with the long I pace part of the workout. But I brought those laps in very close to my R pace target. I feel pretty good about that.

Tomorrow I can run easy again. Note for all the folks who ask about running slow: Today I spent a fair amount of time running close to a 6 minute mile pace on the I intervals, and little time running below a 6 minute mile on the R intervals. Tomorrow I will run slower than an 8 minute mile for perhaps 6 miles, and it will feel *wonderful*. The speed work is sexy, but it's the slow runs between the hard workouts that will get me to the start line healthy.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)