Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Veg_count wrote: »
    People on this thread are so rude.
    I have pcos and Im borderline diabetic. I have tried dieting on my own and the same thing happens every time: normal diet+exercise doesnt work and I gain/stay the same weight or I have to go to extremes, ill loose about 0.5kg per fortnight then gain it back as soon as i eat a Normal human amount or dont go to the gym 7xpw (1600cals is a normal amount btw)
    Saying that diet pills are weight loss surgery is a big hoax, that those people are lazy and "its all in our head" and were basically taking 'speed' is highly offensive. Im sorry my metabolism is fu*ked and so are my hormones. Way to go to make people who need weight loss surgery because they have an addiction to food feel like *kitten* for it and way to go to make people with medical issues feel like *kitten* for needing help too...

I don't understand why you would find comparing diet pills to speed offensive. Perhaps you are unaware that pills like phentermine have a pharmacology similar to amphetamine, IOW, speed. Phentermine can even produce a false positive for amphetamine on a drug test.

There are lots of successful posters here with PCOS. Many of them find they are sensitive to carbs and need to reduce them to lose weight. Here are some threads on PCOS: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=1&search=&title=PCOS&author=&cat=9&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Dstamm09 wrote: »
    What about natural supplements? What do people think about taking those. Any good vitamines that we could take for extra boost? Tia..

A little caffeine and exercise gives me all the boost I need. A body in motion and all that...
  • user3126
    user3126 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    aspirin + caffeine + ephedrine.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    where the heck are these Drs that so easily give out prescriptions? Mine would always tell me I need to lose weight but would NEVER offer up meds for it, not that I wanted them either.

I believe they typically reduce your appetite, so you'll consume less, which really isn't going to teach you anything about eating properly. They are meant to be short term, so once you go off, your appetite will be right back & you'll likely end up in old habits.

...plus nasty side effects

I ballooned up to 230 from 110 in my mid/late 20's...I took over 100# back off with diet & exercise in my late 30's. Surgery is unnecessary, as are pills.

this

I can't speak for everywhere, but in GA and TN there are "weight loss clinics" where you can get the drugs. I have found that chiropractors are usually the ones prescribing at these places. That's just my experience, though. The dude told me to eat low carb, drink water, and take the pills.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Echoing some of the posts in here and excluding medical conditions that require medication.... there are no short cuts to LASTING and SUSTAINABLE weight loss. Chucking a bunch of pills down your neck doesn't teach you healthy life long habits. It won't help you address the behavior that got you to the point you are now and once you stop taking them you're going to wind up right back where you started looking for the next quick fix/fad diet/bogus supplement/pill/potion/magic beans.

Learn to eat and live in accordance to your goals for life not just until the scale reads the number you want it to.
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Orlistat for a while, by my doctors. Mainly because I'd hit a plateau, and shown that I'd lost about 2 stone already, so they were very supportive, and weren't just trying to shove me on something and get rid of me.
    That said, look up the side effects of Orlistat, and you might see why I stopped taking them!
    I found that losing weight without diet pills made me feel better, because it's purely my hard work that's done it. But also, I don't think "Oh, go on, I'll have a slice of cake, the diet pills will carve off the worst of it". Even if you're not thinking it consciously, you probably are sub-consciously.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Phentermine and Qsymia are very dangerous drugs that can cause heart problems, renal failure, depression, nutritional deficiencies, and psychosis. Please read my profile for more information.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How bout just a cup o joe?
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and Im borderline diabetic. I have tried dieting on my own and the same thing happens every time: normal diet+exercise doesnt work and I gain/stay the same weight or I have to go to extremes, ill loose about 0.5kg per fortnight then gain it back as soon as i eat a Normal human amount or dont go to the gym 7xpw (1600cals is a normal amount btw)
    Saying that diet pills are weight loss surgery is a big hoax, that those people are lazy and "its all in our head" and were basically taking 'speed' is highly offensive. Im sorry my metabolism is fu*ked and so are my hormones. Way to go to make people who need weight loss surgery because they have an addiction to food feel like *kitten* for it and way to go to make people with medical issues feel like *kitten* for needing help too.

If your looking into diet pills go to your doctor and ask them for advice. Dont buy anything online and make sure you have tried proper dieting and exercise beforehand and maybe ask for an appointment with a dietician to help you while on or before u start taking the medication. And be sure to drink plenty of water aswell. Ive heard duromine 15mg is usually good with few side effects but it is slow to aid weightloss and metaformin can help if you have insulin issues. But these are prescription only.

A daily multivitamin is good for general wellbeing. :)

This!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    What were the rude parts again? The people posting about the dangerous side effects of diet pills? Or the poster telling us about her uncle's death due to said side effects?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    So, I'm sure this has been brought up before, but after a scroll I couldn't see anything so...

What's the consensus with diet pills? Are some perscription ones worth getting? What is the science behind them? And with a calorie deficit and exercise, are they likely to contribute positively to weight loss?

Survey says:

j9ilsa9i9puh.gif
  • Damienriven
    Damienriven Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Only way to lose weight is being in a caloric deficit. Anything else is a scam.
  • jflanaganasl
    jflanaganasl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What were the rude parts again? The people posting about the dangerous side effects of diet pills? Or the poster telling us about her uncle's death due to said side effects?

I think it was the insinuation that no one is a special sneauxflake that can only lose weight with diet pills (eye roll)
  • Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The ones back in the day that had ephedra were good if you snorted them for a quick buzz. But that's all really. If you want to lose weight right got to earn it
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    The ones back in the day that had ephedra were good if you snorted them for a quick buzz. But that's all really. If you want to lose weight right got to earn it

Realtalk.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I'll take my cup of java every time..

And the magic diet pilz? If they worked and were not dangerous, we would all be high on diet pilz!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Saying that diet pills are weight loss surgery is a big hoax, that those people are lazy and "its all in our head" and were basically taking 'speed' is highly offensive. Im sorry my metabolism is fu*ked and so are my hormones. Way to go to make people who need weight loss surgery because they have an addiction to food feel like *kitten* for it and way to go to make people with medical issues feel like *kitten* for needing help too.

If your looking into diet pills go to your doctor and ask them for advice. Dont buy anything online and make sure you have tried proper dieting and exercise beforehand and maybe ask for an appointment with a dietician to help you while on or before u start taking the medication. And be sure to drink plenty of water aswell. Ive heard duromine 15mg is usually good with few side effects but it is slow to aid weightloss and metaformin can help if you have insulin issues. But these are prescription only.

A daily multivitamin is good for general wellbeing. :)

I missed that part, where did someone call people lazy??
  • Kristie354
    Kristie354 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I took Duromine for years and I lost a lot of weight. I also lost a battle with depression and being so young didn't realise it was from the medication nor did my dr take me off it.

I stopped taking them and put on some weight but it wasn't huge until another bout of depression and my weight ballooned.

I took them again recently to kick start my weight loss because I seriously couldn't get out of bed. I only took them for 4 weeks lost about 10kgs. This time while I was taking them I made sure I started logging and really looking at my calorie intake and how to diet. I used the energy they gave me to start using mfp and exercing. You do feel flat for a few days coming off them but if you're determined they can help but they can't actually keep the weight off long term, that's just down to if you're committed or not. Since I've stopped taking them I've lost another 7kgs just by eating right.

People are right though they aren't good for you. So please don't use them long term.
  • jessicamfort
    jessicamfort Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed at how taboo diet pills are. I gained a TON of weight in only nine months. I needed to figure out what was going on with my body, but I also needed to quickly get the weight off because it was not healthy. I talked to my doctor. We ran a gamut of tests and determined it wasn't the usual culprits (thyroid or anything). After talking about my overall health and goals she prescribed me phentermine. It's a three month boost to help you lose weight while you work with your doctor to learn how to properly diet and exercise. I'm being closely monitored by a medical professional and I honestly feel like I am making the best choice for my health. I know it's not a "magic pill", I am working very hard to be healthy overall and I am doing it with the professional help and support that I need.

Honestly, think about how your words affect people who are making well informed decisions about their health. The hate and negativity about something between a patient and their doctor is not necessary.