Why am I suddenly in dire need of chocolate

Options
I've been logging, exercising, and eating healthy fruits veggies, etc. for 30 days. Lost 9lbs. Well suddenly I can't get enough chocolate. It's all I want. I never craved chocolate. Why suddenly? Not sweets just chocolate. It's weird. I try not to suddenly go crazy and grab a milky way or anything.. so I've been taking a few nestle choc chips to satisfy this.. What is happening?

Replies

• star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Could be hormones or sometimes it can signify a lack of iron. Have you had your bloods checked lately?
  • thehoss316
    thehoss316 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your magnesium intake.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I second hormones. RIght now, I could murder an entire container of Trader Joe's dark chocolate covered almonds. MURDER THEM! ... I won't. But I could.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Could be a magnesium deficiency. Chocolate cravings are a top symptom.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Well DAMN!!!! I may just have that stupid diet hot chocolate.. it's basically hot water with a smidge of chocolate.. 25 calories. UGH
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I get like that when I'm low on iron. Incidentally, this is also why women crave chocolate during their period. Try and get some lean red meat, spinach and beans. These are all high-iron foods. You should ask for some blood work to be sure, and if you're really concerned. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with extra spinach!
  • tracefan
    Options
    I'll try magnesium then too.
  • star1407
    Options
    Yes I totally forgot magnesium deficiency. I take a high dose daily. Mind you I still crave chocolate :|
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Just have it. Then knock 25 calories off tomorrow. It'll all equal out.
  • star1407
    Options
    Just work out your calories for the day to include a little chocolate, I would be a serial killer if I didn't have a little bit of proper chocolate when I want it
  • tracefan
    Options
    ha ha ha.. I get it!!!
    star1407 wrote: »
    Just work out your calories for the day to include a little chocolate, I would be a serial killer if I didn't have a little bit of proper chocolate when I want it

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I get that way if I go awhile without chocolate ( no cravings either) then have a piece it can totally knock me off course awhile. So try instead dark chocolate it has that chocolate without the sweet. Or unsweetened cocoa w stevia. That curbed it every time. Or those chocolate full bars hit the spot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    I've been logging, exercising, and eating healthy fruits veggies, etc. for 30 days. Lost 9lbs. Well suddenly I can't get enough chocolate. It's all I want. I never craved chocolate. Why suddenly? Not sweets just chocolate. It's weird. I try not to suddenly go crazy and grab a milky way or anything.. so I've been taking a few nestle choc chips to satisfy this.. What is happening?

Milky Ways are relatively low in chocolate, so chocolate chips would indeed be a better choice to satisfy that chocolate itch. 70 calories worth of Ghiradelli semi sweet chips or a square and I am good to go.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

6527cee002e84a776d08c0b5af8d2c92.png

As someone with anemia, I do encourage you to get your iron levels tested, especially if you are also noticing symptoms like fatigue or more hair loss than normal.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Well, if we're me that went this long without the chocolate I LOVE, I would be going crazy and would want to devour an entire chocolate silk pie! Or six chocolate donuts in one sitting !
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Cravings come & go. Try some dark chocolate at least 70% cacao. One square has about 60 cals and is very satisfying. The higher the % the better. It's good for you too!
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Perhaps your body just wants sweet.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Cravings come & go. Try some dark chocolate at least 70% cacao. One square has about 60 cals and is very satisfying. The higher the % the better. It's good for you too!

I agree. I don't think it's hormonal or a lack of iron. I know that I could not last 30 days with not eating something scrumptious !
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    If you've cut out a lot of "treats" you may just be craving a treat. I never really used to crave chocolate when I ate whatever I wanted but now I eat in moderation/calorie count, it's one of the things I crave most. I think my brain just figures out whatever will satisfy my tongue the most.

If you still are eating "treats", maybe try a supplement as suggested above.
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The other day I ate 600 calories worth of chocolate. Totally worth it. I just fit it into the weekly plan and it was no biggie :)
  • star1407
    Options
    I do think it's worth getting your bloods tested for iron and magnesium levels, better safe than sorry