Doc is giving me 3 months to drop weight or i will be put on meds for diebeties and hb pressure

Options

Replies

• mikejdeleon85
    mikejdeleon85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    Speaking from my own experience, I got that situation by eating crap. Lots of fast food and prepared garbage. It's the food that was dragging me down. Forget supplements and focus on eating clean. Your energy levels will rise. I am in the same boat as you and I am taking metformin, atorvastatin (lipitor) and a blood pressure med. I want to get off all of that if I can. I use a Foreman grill and cook chicken breasts, salmon burgers and turkey burgers from Costco and have a baked sweet potato/veggies/quinoa with it. I love it. It takes a while to get that crap out of your system but you will feel better. Trust me. Hang in there.

yea its hard last time I dropped the weigh t due to the same scare I just did it didn't even think about it or 2nd guess it I did CAUSE I HAD TOO

but this time I guess i'm over thinking it due to gaining all the weight back and having to start all over again.

I do own a Forman grill and I use it most night its just after a while he same kind of get bored them that where the bad habits get picked up again
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was also pre diabetic and exersice does help, I don't claim to know the science behind it but exersicing helps keep your sugar levels down, maybe it kicks in your pancreas? Do some online research about this. With your hours working you should be able to fit 30 minutes of walking in, start small you will feel the difference.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    [quote=

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/[/quote]

This link lays out why exersice does help reduce blood sugar levels.
  • sugargrammy45
    sugargrammy45 Posts: 251 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    One more thing . . . if your blood sugar is a concern for your doctor, you have to be extremely cautious about your exercise. Someone with diabetes, or close to having diabetes, should never exercise without having eaten carbs first. The right carbs will help steady your blood sugar so you don't have a low blood sugar problem during exercise. Also, take sugar or juice with you when you exercise so if you do have a low blood sugar during exercise you will have something to eat immediately to bring your blood sugar back up. Most people without diabetes and a lot of people who have it, do not realize that one can actually die faster from low blood sugar than from high blood sugar. Do you test your blood sugar in the morning? If your blood sugar is high you will definitely feel too sluggish and tired to get out of bed. I know this is long but I've had diabetes for a long time and these are important things to know.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    mis1022 wrote: »
    I was also pre diabetic and exersice does help, I don't claim to know the science behind it but exersicing helps keep your sugar levels down, maybe it kicks in your pancreas? Do some online research about this. With your hours working you should be able to fit 30 minutes of walking in, start small you will feel the difference.

It increases insulin sensativity, which is a good thing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10683091
  • sugargrammy45
    sugargrammy45 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't have diabetes yet (and I pray you don't ever have it) go to http://www.diabetes.org/ which is the site for American Diabetes Association. Then go under Food and Fitness. It will help you a lot. Their suggestions about healthy eating and exercising are great for all of us . . . with or without diabetes. I know I've taken up a lot of space here but this is my last post to you . . .
  • mrsthomasstevens
    mrsthomasstevens Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would look into the 21 day fix program. That will give you a template of what foods to eat, and how many of each food a day, and provides a daily 30 mins workout to be done from home.
  • mikejdeleon85
    mikejdeleon85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    One more thing . . . if your blood sugar is a concern for your doctor, you have to be extremely cautious about your exercise. Someone with diabetes should never exercise without having eaten carbs first. The right carbs will help steady your blood sugar so you don't have a low blood sugar problem during exercise. Also, take sugar or juice with you when you exercise so if you do have a low blood sugar problem you will have something to eat immediately to bring your blood sugar back up. Most people without diabetes and a lot of people who have it, do not realize that one can actually die faster from low blood sugar than from high blood sugar. Do you test your blood sugar in the morning? If your blood sugar is high you will definitely feel too sluggish and tired to get out of bed. I know this is long but I've had diabetes for a long time and these are important things to know.

wow I wasn't aware of that during exercise I assumed I was doing right by low carbs throughout my day guess that explains the few times I was getting out to the gym and basketball I began to feel sluggish during with only water I was drinking and not much of it.

Doctor prescribed me a diuretic pill for diabetes and now im waking up at 170-200ish prior to that I was waking up at 300 and through out my day at one time was over 500.

but since then ive been researching and incorporating lots of greens and realized that has had a positive effect on getting my sugar down
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You can try doing Leslie Sansone's walk at home vids on YT for free. They're really gentle and low impact, and she encourages you to only do much as you can do. I started off doing that for a couple of months and now I can walk/jog 5-7 miles a day, no prob. Sometimes I do more, but that's the average.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, exercise is NOT optional. It really isn't optional for anybody if the point is to be HEALTHY.

Go DIRECTLY to the gym after work. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not sit down. If you were exercising, you would not always feel so drained. It's counter-intuitive, but exercise gives you energy.

Lowering your carb intake can help too. You don't have to go on an extreme Atkins-style diet...just limiting yourself to something like 30G carbs per meal plus one snack can work well.
  • sheshappynow
    sheshappynow Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm pre diabetic as well... doctor told me same thing.... I also have numerous other ailments and conditions... and take tons of medications... first give yourself credit for being here and logging....My Doctor told me I lacked the WANT and that made me mad...I don't like someone telling me I can't do something... so find your drive and as you eat better and lose some.... the energy will come back... then you'll find you want to do more things exercise etc to feel better ..... add some people on here for motivation and accountability.... best of luck to you. You Got This!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It aggravates me when doctor's say "lose weight or else" but don't give any suggestions or set you up with any tools to get started. You can do that really without having to workout that much. Ask him for a referral to a nutritionist or dietician - somebody who knows about foods, how they breakdown, how to really read the labels and help you understand what's going in your body and what you can do when certain obstacles come up, like if you're still hungry but eating the right foods.

The number 1 first things I would do:
    1. Log everything that goes in your mouth down to the condiments. (Become a "food journal nazi".)
    2. Get an activity monitor - one that can sync with MFP. I have a fitbit1 and it gives me a graph of how many calories I've consumed vs. how many I've burned. This helps in case you hit your 1600 calories (just for example) and you usually burn 2100 in a day - that means you can have a little something for about 100 calories and not feel guilty, and not have it dramatically impact your efforts much at all.
    3. Drink water. At least 8 glasses a day.
    4.More fiber. I use Chocolite Protein Bars from www.healthsmartfoods.com. They have about 10g protein, 10g fiber, are sugar free/gluten free and about 100 calories. They also have caramel pecan thingies that have less calories and more fiber. I'll have 1 or 2 a day with a big glass of water.
    5. Once every 45 minutes to an hour, get up and take a lap around the office - that'll help you get some steps in, and not be as stiff from sitting for so long.

• bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Walking is fantastic for the body to start with. Make several little changes as trying to take stairs. Focus on what you can eat and not what you can't. There are so many good sites on the web but I would start with the American Diabetes site: http://www.diabetes.org. There is so much good information and the good news...our bodies are very very receptive to eating healthy and exercising to control diabetes. Bad news: If you have high BP and Diabetic you are at increased risks for stroke and heart attack.

You know to decrease sugar, investigate what a healthy diet to prevent diabetes is:

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/diabetes-superfoods.html

Another very good habit to get into is drinking water...keeping hydrated helps.

People with diabetes have an increased risk of dehydration as high blood glucose levels lead to decreased hydration in the body.

There are a few ways that exercise lowers blood glucose:

Insulin sensitivity is increased, so your cells are better able to use any available insulin to take up glucose during and after activity.
    When your muscles contract during activity, it stimulates another mechanism that is completely separate of insulin. This mechanism allows your cells to take up glucose and use it for energy whether insulin is available or not.
    This is how exercise can help lower blood glucose in the short term. And when you are active on a regular basis, it can also lower your A1C.

- See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/fitness/get-started-safely/blood-glucose-control-and-exercise.html#sthash.k7FHtNUJ.dpuf
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I suffer from lack of energy quite a bit, even AFTER I've lost a little over 40 pounds AND changed how/what I eat. I've been taking B50 vitamins at night which really help. If I stop taking them for a few days, I really feel the difference. Have you thought about doing an at-home program, like DVDs or something? I can only speak from my own experience (and NO I'm not a Beachbody coach, so please, spare me the attacks!), but Focus T25 was a really great program to help me get started. It's only 25 minutes, and there is a modified version. I hate going to the gym myself, so DVDs are the way to go for me! I wish you luck... it's an uphill battle, but it's worth the climb!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have never been pre diabetic, doctor was always amazed at my blood tests because I was 5'09" and was between 280 and 300lbs depending on the year. 2015 I decided enough was enough. I joined MFP, got a fitbit and committed myself to becoming fit. I lost 110lbs and am maintaining between 170-175lbs. Follow the MFP program, log your food religiously, use a food scale not measuring cups, and come here and read and if needed ask for some support. The Calories in/calories out program works. If you stick with it, you will likely lose much more weight in the next 3 months then the doctor even asked you to do.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @mikejdeleon85 With only 12 posts it tells me you are new to MFP.
    Welcome to MFP and the Forums.
    Picking an item from the Food Database can be a challenge due to the huge number of Multiple entries with similar names.
    Some of the Key things I look for is USDA in the name/description as this indicates that the person who entered it used the USDA Food search web site as a source. I will compare the MFP Nutrition Data to the USDA Data. If you look at the nutrition data and see multiple users have confirmed it then it's probably a good choice.

I recommend the link below to Logging Accurately as it has been one I constantly refer back to.
    logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I recommend some additional good reads for you to start this journey as my "incredibly generic advice" when someone is new to MFP and over whelmed or struggling.

The-forum-survival-guide

http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/

At the Top of most Forums you will see a Discussion with the Words Announcement underneath them. As an example go into the General Diet and Weight Loss Forum.
    general-diet-and-weight-loss-help

You will see 2 Announcement Posts ( Closed ) and a list of additional posts by members. If you open the Announcement Post you will see a list of Links to posts that are a great source of information.
    most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

Of all the "Stickied" Posts these are some of the ones that I keep referring back to all the time.
    important-posts-to-read
    youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    A-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

A 4 part Blog about the power of habits.
    The-power-of-habit-part-1-why-habits-matter-688130

These are just a few of the many great posts that have been so helpful.
    Good job! That's a great start. Start vigilantly tracking your intake, eating less than you expend in a day and the scale will start showing results.
    Woodspoon wrote: »
    Some very good advice here
    A good mental attitude helps, although it can be difficult to get into it.
    Remember, you as a person, can do anything, you are capable of anything you put your mind to, you just have to want it enough.
    They Nailed it. Accuracy in Tracking and Attitude are key to Success.
  • samantha2127
    samantha2127 Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    With exercise sometimes you have to fake it before you make it. Start off with walking a little before or after work. Tell yourself you have to go at least 10 minutes before deciding it just isn't happening. You can't quit until you walk at least 10 minutes. Most of the time you will find that after that time it really isn't so bad. Let this be part of your "me" time and listen to music, audiobooks, or podcasts. I'd even suggest outside in the fresh air while getting some Vit D instead of a using treadmill. It really truly helps boost your mood. Once you are easily able to walk 30-45 minutes at a good pace I'd start slowly incorporating other things to get the ball rolling even more. Maybe a little weight training a couple times a week, or even C25K - a walk/run program to help you be able to run for 30 minutes. Baby steps is better than no steps.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, especially for someone who is large. It's awesome that you've been doing it already, and try increasing your step total or distance (1000 steps or another go around the block, say) each day. It's low impact, it's sustainable, and it's something you're already 100% competent at. If you have or can get an activity tracker like a fitbit, many people (myself included) find them super motivating for moving more in small amounts throughout the day, and realizing that a few minutes pacing here and there can add up to hundreds of calories worth of movement over the course of the day.

So many people think you need to go to a formal exercise class or gym, or go for a run to get meaningful activity, but getting up and just going for a walk around the block is a legitimately great start.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

When you pay attention to your logging and very close attention to your calories, you will see that you do not need to only eat white meat.
    You can eat other meat as long as it fits in your calories: small sirloin, low fat hamburger meat, pork chops, dark meat chicken, salmon.
    Also beans, lentils, some nuts (weigh nuts carefully because the calories add up quickly).

Regarding having no energy: Talk to your doc about your sleep and whether or not you might have sleep apnea.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    One more thing . . . if your blood sugar is a concern for your doctor, you have to be extremely cautious about your exercise. Someone with diabetes should never exercise without having eaten carbs first. The right carbs will help steady your blood sugar so you don't have a low blood sugar problem during exercise. Also, take sugar or juice with you when you exercise so if you do have a low blood sugar problem you will have something to eat immediately to bring your blood sugar back up. Most people without diabetes and a lot of people who have it, do not realize that one can actually die faster from low blood sugar than from high blood sugar. Do you test your blood sugar in the morning? If your blood sugar is high you will definitely feel too sluggish and tired to get out of bed. I know this is long but I've had diabetes for a long time and these are important things to know.

wow I wasn't aware of that during exercise I assumed I was doing right by low carbs throughout my day guess that explains the few times I was getting out to the gym and basketball I began to feel sluggish during with only water I was drinking and not much of it.

Doctor prescribed me a diuretic pill for diabetes and now im waking up at 170-200ish prior to that I was waking up at 300 and through out my day at one time was over 500.

but since then ive been researching and incorporating lots of greens and realized that has had a positive effect on getting my sugar down

No.
    1) Diabetics do not get to eat extra carbs for exercising. Diabetics (on meds, especially insulin, not prediabetics without medication) need to plan meals and meds throughout the day and see how they need to adjust depending on physical activity. But, since your exercise is a relaxed walk and you are not on medication, absolutely do not add extra carbs.
    2) If you are prediabetic, exercise is not for weight loss. Exercise will help with diabetes management regardless of/in addition to weight loss. You do not need to do intense exercise. Walking a lot throughout the day will probably be more effective than short periods of more intense exercise. So, up your walking and you will be fine.
    3) Diuretics are for blood pressure, not diabetes.
    4) With the numbers you quote, you are not prediabetic. You are close to getting permanent health damage diabetic. More than one fasting glucose readings of above 120-130 mean you are diabetic. More than one readings above 200, no matter what you have been eating, mean you are diabetic. Call your dr again, make sure you have a strict diabetes meal plan. Not guidelines to loose weight in general. A meal plan for diabetes.