StrongLifts 5X5 app.

Options
determined24girl
determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone used this app? Did you like it? Would it be good for beginners? I just ordered a set of Barbells off amazon and I'm looking for a good program to use to get started. I've never lifted before so I'm not sure what's good for beginners. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edited because I, evidently, don't know the difference between "dumbbells" and "barbells"

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It's more than an "app". It is a power lifting program. You should look up the program online. You will need a barbell. And yes, it is good for beginners.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    App aside, how familiar are you with the 5x5 program? Program apps generally only help you determine your percentage etc but you need to have a foundation in the program before you can really understand and make use of the app. I would recommend that you do a little research on the program first and compare it to other beginner programs as well to see if it really suits your needs.

Best of luck!
  • determined24girl
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's more than an "app". It is a power lifting program. You should look up the program online. You will need a barbell. And yes, it is good for beginners.

Ok thanks. I'll look it up online.
  • determined24girl
    Options
    App aside, how familiar are you with the 5x5 program? Program apps generally only help you determine your percentage etc but you need to have a foundation in the program before you can really understand and make use of the app. I would recommend that you do a little research on the program first and compare it to other beginner programs as well to see if it really suits your needs.

Best of luck!

I'm not at all familiar with the 5X5 program. Like i said I'm totally new to lifting and I'm just really excited to get started. I'll do some more research. Thanks for your input!
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm half way through my first week of a two week workup to starting the stronglifts 5x5. Seems solid to me and will give me time to build the proper form on core lifts that every other lift is based upon. I downloaded the app after doing a bunch of reading on the program. Not a total beginner but raw on free weights and after discussing it with a couple of seasoned lifters, I think it'll be great. They also liked the app, thought it would have been great if they had it when they started.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded the app tonight. Is this doable with Dumbbells and an ez curl bar? Will be using my husbands equipment. (No bench but a stability ball, and no straight bar - just the curl bar)
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    The app is excellent if you are going to do the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Lookup Stronglifts 5x5 workout A and Workout B on youtube and you can see the two workouts the program is based on. It is great for beginners but it uses a barbell, not dumbells. If you are a member of a gym with a good free weights section and at least one squat cage or rack, it's a very good program. If you are limited to dumbells and body weight style workouts at home, look into programs like Convict Conditioning and the like which do not require extensive weight equipment.
  • arditarose
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    I just downloaded the app tonight. Is this doable with Dumbbells and an ez curl bar? Will be using my husbands equipment. (No bench but a stability ball, and no straight bar - just the curl bar)

Not really
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »

See my post above. In short, the answer to your question is no.
  • Jack_NYC
    Jack_NYC Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a set of Barbells off amazon...

Wow, your mailman is in for a surprise!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Can you explain to me what a set of barbells are?

Edited to say, I am not even being jerk I just have no idea what you ordered.
  • determined24girl
    Options

It's just the bar and some weights to go on it. Am I saying it wrong?
  • determined24girl
    Options
    Jack_NYC wrote: »

Yes he is lol
  • determined24girl
    Options
    Jack_NYC wrote: »

I got my power cage off amazon. Prime free shipping is awesome.

I love prime! lol
  • determined24girl
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »
    I'm half way through my first week of a two week workup to starting the stronglifts 5x5. Seems solid to me and will give me time to build the proper form on core lifts that every other lift is based upon. I downloaded the app after doing a bunch of reading on the program. Not a total beginner but raw on free weights and after discussing it with a couple of seasoned lifters, I think it'll be great. They also liked the app, thought it would have been great if they had it when they started.

Awesome :) Thanks for your input.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

It's just the bar and some weights to go on it. Am I saying it wrong?

Oh! Ok. I was just thinking like two barbells -- you got a bar and a set of weights.

I started out with SLs, a standard bar, and a husband that would help me set up. Once I out grew the weights I had, I went the gym.

Just watch videos and make sure your form is on point and you will be great!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Good on you for trying this. Please, watch the videos on form..over and over, and over and over again.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Had to google the power cage! Looks awesome. I'm too embarrassed to do this at my gym i think. Any of you know equivalent heavy lifting programs - on YouTube - with just Dumbbells?
  • determined24girl
    Options
    snowmaniac wrote: »
    The app is excellent if you are going to do the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Lookup Stronglifts 5x5 workout A and Workout B on youtube and you can see the two workouts the program is based on. It is great for beginners but it uses a barbell, not dumbells. If you are a member of a gym with a good free weights section and at least one squat cage or rack, it's a very good program. If you are limited to dumbells and body weight style workouts at home, look into programs like Convict Conditioning and the like which do not require extensive weight equipment.

I'll look it up thanks!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Good on you for trying this. Please, watch the videos on form..over and over, and over and over again.

I am quoting this because it's super critical to success and not injuring yourself.

Also, even if you think you can do more, start off extremely light and build up.