StrongLifts 5X5 app.

Options
2»

Replies

• determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Can you explain to me what a set of barbells are?

It's just the bar and some weights to go on it. Am I saying it wrong?

Oh! Ok. I was just thinking like two barbells -- you got a bar and a set of weights.

I started out with SLs, a standard bar, and a husband that would help me set up. Once I out grew the weights I had, I went the gym.

Just watch videos and make sure your form is on point and you will be great!

Yeah a "set of barbells" does sound like I bought 2 bars lol.
  • determined24girl
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Good on you for trying this. Please, watch the videos on form..over and over, and over and over again.

I will thanks. I am a little worried about not having the correct form and injuring myself. I don't have the money for a personal trainer or anything, but i was thinking about getting a large mirror to check form.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Good on you for trying this. Please, watch the videos on form..over and over, and over and over again.

I will thanks. I am a little worried about not having the correct form and injuring myself. I don't have the money for a personal trainer or anything, but i was thinking about getting a large mirror to check form.

Good idea. And take videos and post them for form checks.
  • determined24girl
    Options

I am quoting this because it's super critical to success and not injuring yourself.

Also, even if you think you can do more, start off extremely light and build up.

I do have a tendency to overdo things when I start so thanks for the reminder.
  • determined24girl
    Options

Good idea. And take videos and post them for form checks.

Where would you recommend I post them?
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Also, even if you think you can do more, start off extremely light and build up.

That's the entire point of the app in question. It literally starts you out with an empty bar (except rows, can't do those empty) and you add 5 pounds each cycle IF you complete the previous lift. It walks you through every step, holding you back if you miss a rep, etc.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Whoa! Had to google the power cage! Looks awesome. I'm too embarrassed to do this at my gym i think. Any of you know equivalent heavy lifting programs - on YouTube - with just Dumbbells?

You might want to start a thread for that so that you can get more input. I'm not all that familiar with dumbbell only programs, but you might also want to check into kettlebells since there are a ton of good videos and programs on them and they have some interesting advantages over dumbbells.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »

That's the entire point of the app in question. It literally starts you out with an empty bar (except rows, can't do those empty) and you add 5 pounds each cycle IF you complete the previous lift. It walks you through every step, holding you back if you miss a rep, etc.

For someone who has never lifted a weight before, starting with a 95 pound deadlift and a 65 pound row (or whatever it is) may be too much. There's no shame in starting those lower.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I like the app and am really enjoying the program. I started with the empty bar for several workouts- And my OHP is still at 45lbs until it becomes easier. I am up in weight for all the other lifts tho and am damn proud of my progress! There is no way I could start with a 95lb DL or 65lb row on my first lifts tho! Yowza! I took full advantage of going at my own pace while I worked on form.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Film yourself with your phone rather than trying to see yourself in a mirror through the full range of the lift.

Changing neck positioning by trying to catch a look at yourself mid-lift can alter your mechanics and spine stability.

You can review your form on your phone between sets and make adjustments as you go.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I ran SL 5x5 for 18 months and I feel it is probably one of the if not the most beneficial beginner strength program out there. You always are seeing linear gains for a good bit, you really get to nail down that form, and Mehdi has TONS of info out there for free. The only advise I would give you is that if you are brand new to barbell training go light. Leave ego out of the equation. Really get that form nailed down... they have a community board that you can post up videos of your lifts and get some great feedback. I would also not alter the program ANY. Meaning do not sub out dumbbell press for standing press or machine squats for the power rack. It is ok to do assecory work after your first 3 lifts but do not do any assecory work btwn the big compound movements. For example after my first 3 lifts I would go into some dips, pull / chin ups, pushups, curls, ect if I still had some go in me. The app is also solid. As mentioned above first really understand the program and its goals before getting under that bar.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    It's more than an "app". It is a power lifting program. You should look up the program online. You will need a barbell. And yes, it is good for beginners.

This. I like it, makes it easy to stay on track (when you know what you're doing with it). It's been glitchy lately, but I'm signed up for their test group now for a new version, so I'm hoping for good changes :)
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for probably 7 or 8 months now and I love it. As others have said, do a lot of reading online first to make sure you understand the program and watch a lot of videos to make sure you have the form down. There is a great SL 5x5 women's group on the MFP forums. You should join it and check out their getting started material which addresses some issues that are more common for women just beginning, including modifications you can make if some things are too challenging at first. I found it super helpful. The app is great, too.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The app is great once you play with it. I was tryin to figure out how it would adjust my weight down when I could not finish or struggled. It took me until last week to see that when I clicked the button for my set it starts at 5 but if I click it again it goes down to reflect the reps I actually did. Douh!!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You can also lower the safeties in a squat rack and put the bar on them if you have access to one.