Paris Hilton BMI

Options
I just read this article about Paris Hilton and was really put off.....

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20502934,00.html?xid=rss-yahooheadlines

This girl is 5'8" tall. The article is saying that at 125 pounds she was "overweight". So I'm reading this and thinking... well jeeze! I'm 129 pounds and much shorter than her.... I'm not considered overweight... how could they be saying she's overweight? In fact, 125 would put her at the LOW end of a HEALTHY BMI.

Then it goes on to say that she has lost all her extra weight and is happy and healthy at 115 lbs. But, that puts her smack into the UNDERWEIGHT BMI. The article is glorifying her being underweight.

WTF?? Talk about setting girls up with unrealistic weight expectations!

What do you all think about this?

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    it sucks! this is what causes so many eating disorders.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I just read the same article! Unbelievable
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    it sucks! this is what causes so many eating disorders.

I totally agree! That is soooo wrong. 115 pounds at 5' 8'' ? That's insane!
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The world has put us girls into a horrible body image lifestyle. Healthy is considered fat and anemic is considered hot. Sadly we help push these images by having unrealistic goals. Women need to fight against society pushing these crazy pressures on us.

As I say this 3 weight loss commercials have come on tv. Clearly we have a major society problem here.
  • Pammie1000
    Pammie1000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    It's frightening.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I personally find 99% of the female celeberities disgusting! They gripe about how over weight they are but they wear size 4 jeans. I have a 7 year old daughter and I dread the day that she actually looks up to them. Let's get some "real" women in holly wood.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Hollywood sucks. Period.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I agree, that is just rediculous. How could that possibly be healthy? Being healthy is not entirely about being skinny. I know alot of skinny people that aren't healthy. Media makes me so upset sometimes. I used to compare myself to HollyWood stars but soon I realized the reality of there looks....its all fake.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    This, and the fact that 13 year old models are used as high fashion ideals for women. There was an article last week on The Frisky about one of the hottest couture models--she is 13. Add cosmetics and you could never tell she was that young. Yet, this pre-puberty girl is toted as the ideal for grown women. I'm considered thin for my height, but always think I'm never thin enough.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Im alot shorter than her, and when i was skinny i was 5 pounds lighter than her...
    But i was 13...
    I dont know how they expect children to grow into women and get taller but not any wider..

But it is true at that size if you even gain a pound people REALLY notice.
    Whereas if you were 302 pounds, being 303 pounds wouldnt make a difference in the slightest on your appearence..

It still isnt right though.. =[
  • nik0878
    nik0878 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I really hate to read articles like that. And from the BMI chart I've seen, she could weigh 164 lbs and not be considered overweight. So to me 115 seems like a VERY low number for her, maybe even unhealthy. Being too thin is no better than being too fat. I have a friend who is around the same height as Paris and she weighs maybe 100 lbs and honestly, it's not attractive on her (even though she thinks it is). My friend has always been very skinny, even as a young kid and her dad and brother are the same way, so I don't think she has an eating disorder, just a very fast metabolism. I guess the main thing that always made me mad with her though was that when I was a kid, I was a normal weight but yet she always called me 'fat'. Of course, now that she's older she doesn't say that, but I am still very uncomfortable hanging out with her much b/c I am overweight now lol....
  • newsammy11
    newsammy11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I personally find 99% of the female celebrities disgusting! They gripe about how over weight they are but they wear size 4 jeans. I have a 7 year old daughter and I dread the day that she actually looks up to them. Let's get some "real" women in holly wood.

I agree! I do believe the producers of the Transformers movie dropped Megan Fox because they said she was "overweight". I used to love Megan Fox but now she looks sick because of how skinny she is. It's not flattering in the least bit and I find it outrageous that society makes girls believe everywhere that being skin and bones is beautiful.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    wow, so shes happy with a BMI of 17.5. That must be hard to maintain, and considered herself overweight with a BMI of 19 :|

I imagine its difficult in hollywood where to be underweight is the norm though
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    As I say this 3 weight loss commercials have come on tv. Clearly we have a major society problem here.

We defiantely do have a problem.
    What sucks more is that all of these weight loss adverts are all targeted at girls..
    Guys just dont have the same pressure, if any at all...
    Its not fair that this is how society expects us to look, where as you can see by sites like MFP people arnt like that.
    You have to work VERY hard to become celebrity size, and we shouldnt be expected to do this to be considered pretty..
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You know what would make me happy? If all women - normal mortals like us, celebrity, centerfolds, models - actually admitted our real weights. There's some much bull-poopie floating around that there's people out there believing that anything over 120 lbs is big, no matter who you are.

For instance... I was being a creeper and googling Anna Paquin's measurements, weight and height. I would love to have Sookie Stackhouse's body. :wink: Sources list her as 5'5 (Woo! Same as me!) with measurements of 34B-27-36 (Woo! Also almost the same as me! Except my waist is a little smaller, and hips a little bigger.)... but with a weight of 108 lbs?!

So, lemme get this straight. This chick, who is my height, with virtually the same measurements, with very likely a higher percentage of muscle mass and lower percentage of body fat than me, weighs almost thirty pounds less than me?! Somehow, I'm not buying it. I know what I looked like at 108 lbs. I was a waif. Hell, she probably weighed closer to 108 lbs when she won her Oscar for "The Piano."

To be fair, that's just from the interwebs, not from Ms Paquin's mouth. The words from her mouth (about scales and weighing herself) are much more sensible.

“Truthfully, I’m usually happiest when I’m not going anywhere near it. But you know what size your body is. And if you’re working out and have a lot of muscle, you’re going to weigh more. I feel good when I feel like I’m really strong. And that’s not necessarily when I’m at my numerically most gratifying weight.”
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I think that article is ridiculous. I strongly believe that there is a bad side to Hollywood. But there is also a good side.

There are a lot of celebrity talk these days about being too skinny in Hollywood. I hear it all the time. There are even tons of skinny celebrity women who have said they wish they were more voluptuous and curvy. Women aren't striving to be skinny anymore, they are striving for curves.
    I also see a lot more voluptuous women coming into light. Sofia Vergara, Kim Kardashian, Laetitia Casta, Christina Hendricks, Salma Hayek, Kate Winslet , Eva Mendes, Scarlett Johansson, Beyonce, Tyra Banks, Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Biel, and I could go on and on.

The point is, there are a lot of non-skinny women who are famous and known for their beautiful and shapely bodies. And I find there is a very low percentage of men who actually like or prefer "skinny" women.
    There is enough bad talk about skinny that makes me not want to be skinny. I want to be curvy. :)
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    And I just want to say one more thing....Marilyn Monroe!
    One of the most beautiful women there ever has been. She wore a size 14. She is my role model.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I agree the media give us depressing weight goals with articles like this, but then the vast majority of people are overweight, not under, and I think people have their weight perception skewed by the people they see walking around every day too. I think there are two camps - the media driven you have to be underweight to be attractive, and the fast food led - BMI is unrealistic, being technically overweight is normal. I think there are depressingly few people in the middle with a sensible attitude to weight.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    And I just want to say one more thing....Marilyn Monroe!
    One of the most beautiful women there ever has been. She wore a size 14. She is my role model.

Good luck with that.

*waits for backlash*