Need Some Advice.

Hey guys.

So ive been Intermitt fasting for 3 days now (today is day 4) but i have a few questions.

#1. Should i wait 4 hours after i wake up to eat.

#2. Ive limited myself to 1350 cal everyday. Is that too low?

Im 18, 5'8,and 195lbs.

Need help

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    #2 1350 is too low. The absolute bare minimum for an adult male is 1500. Only the smallest of men can get away with below that, and I mean like Kentucky Derby Jockey small. Smaller than the average teenager.

How you go about your IF, what hours you choose to do, is a personal decision. When I was doing If I liked the standard 16:8 method. I woke up around 7, didn't eat til 1pm, stopped eating at 9. Rinse repeat. But some people really can't function without breakfast and would rather cut in the evening. It's up to you.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Just to give you an idea just how absurdly low 1350 is: I'm a 26 year old female 150lbs, 5'2" (small) and I lose perfectly well on 1420 calories per day, and I eat back my exercise calories on top of that.
  • fitkid666
    fitkid666 Posts: 6 Member
    #2 1350 is too low. The absolute bare minimum for an adult male is 1500. Only the smallest of men can get away with below that, and I mean like Kentucky Derby Jockey small. Smaller than the average teenager.

How you go about your IF, what hours you choose to do, is a personal decision. When I was doing If I liked the standard 16:8 method. I woke up around 7, didn't eat til 1pm, stopped eating at 9. Rinse repeat. But some people really can't function without breakfast and would rather cut in the evening. It's up to you.

So i should increase my calorie intake then huh..
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    You're meant to be eating the same amount of calories you would to lose weight on a normal diet or lifestyle of eating. So yes, 1350 is VERY low. I don't think I've ever seen a male needed to eat under 1800 calories in a day.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited February 2016
    fitkid666 wrote: »

Yes. What did MFP give you when you entered your information? It's supposed to be programmed not to give you less than 1500, and not to give a woman less than 1200. And what weight loss goal did you choose? Most people seem to go straight for that 2 lbs per week choice, but it's not a good choice if you want to build muscle at all, and it's really near impossible to meet that unless you were obese to begin with.
  • fitkid666

Yes. What did MFP give you when you entered your information? It's supposed to be programmed not to give you less than 1500, and not to give a woman less than 1200.

Yea it gave me 1350 and ive just been following that.
  • fitkid666
    Snow3y wrote: »
    You're meant to be eating the same amount of calories you would to lose weight on a normal diet or lifestyle of eating. So yes, 1350 is VERY low. I don't think I've ever seen a male needed to eat under 1800 calories in a day.

Wow, so what's a good calorie intake? Trying to really drop the lbs..
  • CoffeeNCardio

Yes. What did MFP give you when you entered your information? It's supposed to be programmed not to give you less than 1500, and not to give a woman less than 1200.

Yea it gave me 1350 and ive just been following that.

Hmm. Well, programming fail. So the first step would be for you to alter your numbers, because something is amiss. Go to your settings page, verify all your profile information (diet and fitness profile section) is correct, then follow the "guided setup" on the "goals" page. At your weight, with so little to lose, 1lbs or less per week is probably ideal. There is no reason for weight loss to be miserable, and trying to speed it up makes it miserable and unsustainable.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Snow3y wrote: »

Wow, so what's a good calorie intake? Trying to really drop the lbs..

If you'd rather just manually input a calorie number, which is possible through the "goals" page, you can plug in your info here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It's easy to use and very detailed as to how it got you the number. Even comes with menu suggestions that meet your needs. It's a good source when MFP is giving you nonsense numbers like 1350
  • CoffeeNCardio
    The number you want to note is the "Daily calories based on goal in step 6". That's the number you would eat at to lose. It will also give you protein recommendations, which are a big deal if you plan on keeping any muscle mass by the time you're done.
  • fitkid666
    The number you want to note is the "Daily calories based on goal in step 6". That's the number you would eat at to lose. It will also give you protein recommendations, which are a big deal if you plan on keeping any muscle mass by the time you're done.

Thanks so much for your help, i truly appreciate it all. Im gonna fix this and eat more then..
  • CoffeeNCardio

Thanks so much for your help, i truly appreciate it all. Im gonna fix this and eat more then..

You're welcome:) Wise decision. The best diet is one you will actually stick to. And no one your size and gender can stick to 1350 for long... it would be unbelievably miserable after a few weeks.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited February 2016
    I just wanted to preemptively leave this here for you. I suggest you right click and save it. It's the bible imho.

Because you are now going to eat at a reasonable level, you do need to put extra effort into making sure your logging is correct and as accurate as possible. Also, don't panic if you gain a couple of lbs right away when you start eating more. That's totally normal water weight/glycogen replenishment and it WILL go away. It's not fat, and it's nothing to worry about unless your weight doesn't change from that for 6+ weeks, in which case, we're back to accuracy in the logging. Happy hunting!

5kkg1v2k2zeb.jpg
  • fitkid666
    Upped my calorie intake to 1630