Intermittent Fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Time is a resource/tool that can be used to help stick to your calorie goals. The way I use intermittent fasting is to help me stay in my calorie goal. For example, I find that if I eat breakfast and snacks, I can easily hit my calorie goals by midday and still be hungry, or need to have a small dinner. Since I like big dinner, I just don't eat most mornings and early afternoons, and start eating after 4pm.

I'm not sure if there's additional benefits to having a fasting period or not. Some research shows fasting for a period of time has some additional health benefits. Some articles indicated there may be a benefit to intermittent fasting with weight training in changing body composition over just weight training alone. Not sure.
  • briggsykim
    briggsykim Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I enjoy big meals and waiting til the end of the day to eat with my family is more satisfying for me
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    briggsykim wrote: »
    I read an article about how I.F. can affect women hormonally

I've never done any research on this so I can't speak scientifically, but just anecdotally I've never noticed any changes in acne based on my IFing.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    briggsykim wrote: »
    I read an article about how I.F. can affect women hormonally

I've never done any research on this so I can't speak scientifically, but just anecdotally I've never noticed any changes in acne based on my IFing.

Me either but things effect people differently. I guess it could possibly but it hasn't ever with me.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I've had no hormonal issues since starting 16:8. I'm 46 so my hormones would probably go haywire at the drop of a hat. It could be younger women have fertility issues but I don't know. I do suffer from PMS & I feel much better doing IF.
  • courtniekrebs
    courtniekrebs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do both 16:8 and 5:2... out of all the diets or lifestyle changes this is the only one that works for me.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I do something closer to 14:10 because of my schedule. I'll wait until 12 to eat and finish off with my sweets at around 830.
  • TheOriginalBeauty
    TheOriginalBeauty Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I do 16:8 I find it so much easier to fit into my daily life and makes weight loss a lot easier for me. I'm on day 10 today, in my first week I lost 2.5 kilos so yay for me!
  • briggsykim
    Options
    I actually decided to stop the I.F. I noticed that it was messing with my hormones. I was having breakouts and night sweats.
  • briggsykim
    Options
    I do 16:8 I find it so much easier to fit into my daily life and makes weight loss a lot easier for me. I'm on day 10 today, in my first week I lost 2.5 kilos so yay for me!

• murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    For some people IF works, and for others it doesn't. 16:8 works with my schedule very well, and it helps that I've never been a breakfast eater. This helps me to save calories for dinner, which has always been my biggest meal of the day and the meal I enjoy the most. I tend to have dinner between 7 and 9pm, and then don't eat again until 1pm the next day. In the morning I only drink coffee. However, if I'm actually hungry I do eat breakfast (that's a rare occasion but it's been known to happen).

I don't know if there is any real benefit, it's just a matter of preference for some people to stay in a calorie deficit. In reality, even before I began tracking my intake to lose weight, I followed this type of schedule - the difference being I ate a lot more food (larger portions) in those 8 hours than I do now.

As for acne breakouts, I can't say I've suffered any worse breakouts doing IF than during any other time. I've always struggled with mild adult acne. Have you tried increasing your water intake? That seems to really help when I'm struggling with hormonal breakouts.