The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Noooooooooo! I've woken up with a cold today and Mrs whatang has banned me from running. :(
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks @9voice9 , they're a good bunch at the club, really nice people and they're all so encouraging.

@Wendy1Fl - Absolutely. We WILL get there. I found the group because my partner isn't happy about me running in the dark evenings on my own, so I thought with a group there would be safety in numbers and give me the chance to run during the week after work through the dark months, but it turned out to be so much more than just that. The coaches are great, really motivational, and help immensely with instruction on posture etc. Maybe you could find one in your local area? I'm really enjoying it, even if it is a bit tough, but then it wouldn't be a challenge if I found it easy. :smile:
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Nikki, and I'm a complete newbie.
    Welcome! We're glad to have you ('cause that means we can get another addict in the fold!) :wink:
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Please know that I read every post, and am cheering you on, ...) but by the time I read them all, and get to the end to post an update, I can't remember most of who did what!

^^^ I'm with you! I sometimes try to have a Word doc open on the side and start making notes. Then something happens and I have to just get out and post!

@runner_girl83 - Sorry about your news. I was astounded to read the shoes were $240! Glad they found a last season pair. You could start looking online to see if you can find the $240 pair for cheaper before these start wearing out. I think I have pretty good form (well, according to the "good form running clinic" people I do), but I still manage to wear out my shoes in <300 miles.

Haven't been to my spinning classes in a long time and finally got to go last night. It is really a great cross training for running. The place I go is really a place for tri-athletes to train so sometimes people take off running right after the bike.

Feb 1 - 4.27
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.
    Feb 3 - Strength training 4.5 miles
    Feb 4 - rest
    Feb 5 - Strength training
    Feb 6 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 7 - 13.1 HM - New PR 2:18:57!!!
    Feb 8 - 3.05 mile recovery run.
    Feb 9 - 1 hour spinning class

exercise.png

3/3 Orlando City Soccer 5K
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I promise I will pep up soon - I just feel a little down about this mornings appointment though..

Met with the Podiatrist this morning.. It looks like I haven't got shin splints! :smiley: I'm treating this as a bonus, of course.. The rest isn't really to be celebrated, though it's a step forward.

I have left hip instability, locking and hyper extending both knees to control it. I have opposite pedal mechanics in run vs. walk (significantly pronated in running) to control the internal knee rotation. I need to strengthen my left glute to support mechanics, need to wear neutral shoes for walking, pronated for running only. No running over 10km at max :frowning: as extensive physio is required before I can try for long distance.

No Half Marathons in the near future (not running anyway!) .. On the plus side.. Went to Athlete's Foot and picked out a nice pair of Brooks Vapors ($240).. Good stability shoe with arch support (what the POD recommended).. Told the guy I couldn't afford that... And he pulled out a pair from last season for $140!!! Even let me layby them! Bit upset about no HM ... I still plan on run/walking the HM I planned next month.. Just have to find the money for physio now :open_mouth:
    The Half Marathons can always wait. There will be plenty more of those. Now you will have the opportunity to properly prepare for those future half marathons though, and be a happier runner overall!
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hey I got a stupid question! I promised myself I could run tomorrow, but the knee isn't 100%. It probably 60-75%. But running doesn't hurt. I can almost walk without a limp. Tomorrow I'll be 9.88 miles behind schedule. That's a critical distance. Been off it sun-tuesday..
    I would probably try a short recovery paced 1 miler just to test it out on two consecutive days. If both go off without a hitch then maybe try something a little longer.

But, if I would do it, that probably means it's wisest to NOT do that.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Any exercises you can share that target the glutes, hips and knees that might help?
    My go to exercises for glutes/hips(core) are:
    clamshells
    leg lifts
    side leg raises
    bam bams
    squats (I tend to do squat jumps more often now)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: 5 miles
    2/3: 7.5 miles
    2/4: 8.2 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/5: Rest day (hallelujah!)
    2/6: 9.5 miles with the Saturday crew
    2/7: 18 miles LR
    2/8: 6.1 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/9: Rest day
    2/10: 7 miles speedwork (am)

It was snowing this morning, and there was a black ice warning, so I traded my easy 5 for tomorrow's speedwork; I figure I might as well get in a good speed session if I'm stuck on the 'mill anyhow. Did my strength ladder again, kept to the same 5k, 10k, HM and marathon paces as last time. The final 10k and 5k bits were intense(ly hard) but the workout felt really good. I've been diligent about doing core work 3x a week, and I can tell a big difference in my general stability/not loosey-goosey feelings during speed sessions.

I'm sorry to read about so many injuries plaguing the group this month! Hope you all recover soon!

exercise.png

@Elise4270 Re: your knee: If it's not 100%, I wouldn't recommend running on it. But if it were me, I'd ignore that advice and go out for 1-2 miles to test it because I'm overeager ;) I've just learned from past experience not to mess with knees when they feel wonky. A few years ago, I fell and crushed a band in my knee and I didn't run on it for 1-2 weeks.

@runner_girl83 Can you go to physio for one session and then get exercises to do at home? I haven't been to a PT for 8-10 years (I used to have really bad problems with my hips coming out of alignment because I have "loose" tendons and ligaments, allegedly), but I still do a lot of the exercises she gave me to keep things where they're meant to be.

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm going for 75 again. and try to get back up to 13 miles on weekend runs

1-personal training episode. so sore
    2-nothing, not feeling well
    3-slept in. still not feeling great
    4-see above, and then transmission cracked
    5-car hunting
    6-car hunting
    7-4.75 miles. I added hills to my treadmill work out. oh the suck
    8-nothing
    9-i was on the way to the gym. because it was icy i didn't want to run outside. so icy, i hit a parked jeep with my 2 day all new to me car. :frowning: no gym for me
    10-yoga tonight. a little sore from the accident, but i'm really concerned about the race this weekend. I've not been able to train like I'd like to due to flares and accidents. I'm not sure how I'll do

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run
    Feb 13-21 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 here is my list from my PT:
    Clamshells
    Stretch (everything)
    Swiss ball exercises
    Nerve glides
    Band walk

Bird dog, bear crawl, inchworm

I really like the standing on one foot throwing/catching a weighted ball.

Most places understand the financial burden and will work with you. Maybe you can meet once a week and do at home exercises.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning @kristinegift (idk if i missed anyone?) thanks for the advice. I'm trying to discern how much is superficial pain from the abrasion, and what may be warning pain.

I got new shoes in the mail yesterday (like Christmas with all the boxes, but think they'll go out today. I still can not get USPS online to accept payment to print labels, may try stamps.com or just let the postal folks do it.). So, new shoes, gimpy knee... Torture. Think I scored on these new shoes, Merrell BOCO trail. They are tough! Unlike my human knee.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning @kristinegift (idk if i missed anyone?) thanks for the advice. I'm trying to discern how much is superficial pain from the abrasion, and what may be warning pain.

I got new shoes in the mail yesterday (like Christmas with all the boxes, but think they'll go out today. I still can not get USPS online to accept payment to print labels, may try stamps.com or just let the postal folks do it.). So, new shoes, gimpy knee... Torture. Think I scored on these new shoes, Merrell BOCO trail. They are tough! Unlike my human knee.

That's such temptation! Stay strong! Your knee should be good to go in a day or two, I hope! It sucks to be out due to a trauma/sudden injury instead of a well-earned one ;)
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Was sick the past few days and finally got going again this morning. Had a good run and ran the furthest I have in almost a year.
    exercise.png[\img]
  • Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just did a bit of walking, added 1.85 KM

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Hey I got a stupid question! I promised myself I could run tomorrow, but the knee isn't 100%. It probably 60-75%. But running doesn't hurt. I can almost walk without a limp. Tomorrow I'll be 9.88 miles behind schedule. That's a critical distance. Been off it sun-tuesday..

The coach in me says to give it rest. But the runner in me says go for it.
    Rule of thumb, if you cannot keep good form or sharp pain exists, then stop immediately.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    2/1-3 slow miles + lots of yoga
    2/2-5.4 miles+ strength training
    2/3-7 miles
    2/4-rest day
    2/5-3.6 miles hill sprints +strength training
    2/6-6.3 miles
    2/7-12.2 miles
    2/8- 3.3 easy miles + yoga
    2/9-4 miles speedwork on treadmill+yoga

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for February

2/1 7.55 miles - 7.55
    2/2 7.4 miles - 14.95
    2/3 4.5 miles - 19.45
    2/4 7 miles - 26.45
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 16 miles - 42.45
    2/7 REST DAY
    2/8 10.5 miles - 52.95
    2/9 7.5 miles - 60.45
    2/9 3.2 miles - 63.65
    2/10 6.4 miles - 70.05

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    02/09 3.25miles - found it hard after the break
    02/09 3.25miles - same route, much better 30 sec faster

7 done of 30miles
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I think what upsets me is I have friends who buy the cheapest of cheap shoes and can run in them trouble and pain-free.. Others who go and get fitted for shoes, run out of the store and never look back.

I've just tried to get to the bottom of things for so many years I feel a bit mistrusting I guess. So many physios telling me so many different things. The Podiatrist did play back my walking & running video from the treadmill and I just can't believe how terrible I look while running! My knees actually lock together and it looks like I'm about to fall flat on my face with every step! I'll include some photos from the past few months as examples.

vukw61mga88b.jpg

You can see in this photo - My left knee comes in and touches the right knee on its way through :confused:
    5xt69v2delqp.jpg

Cost of physio is another thing I am concerned about. I'm still at home full-time with my youngest. I can't afford much physio at all.. It costs $80 per session and my physio doesn't offer 30 minute sessions unfortunately. My husband constantly has a sore back from work so I push him to go to physio when we have the money for it. Will just have to try and get in next fortnight and work on the exercises for as long as I possibly can I think until I can afford to go again.

Aside from all of this.. Does anyone here have a pair of Brooks Vapors and how do you find them?

Yeah, your hip is over adducting with a bit of medial rotation on the right side.
    If you read my blog on bio mechanics, that would make total sense. :-)

http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2016/01/running-biomechanics-primer.html

I think others provided some good glute and hip exercises. Also, when you run, try to imagine that you have a quarter squeezed between your butt cheeks that you are trying to keep there in place. This forces you to engage your core muscles and glute muscles which need strengthening.