No loss yet

Options
Maryal
Maryal Posts: 11 Member
Been on this for at least 3 weeks..not seeing my one lb weekly loss. Staying close to daily goals....what's wrong

Replies

• ArmorForFitness
    ArmorForFitness Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That's strange, you should be seeing some loss. Can you give more details?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    How are you getting your calorie totals? Are you weighing your food or "eyeballing" the portions?
    Are you not losing any weight or less than 1 lb/week?
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Also, keep in mind that hormonal fluctuations can mask weight loss. It's common for people to retain water and then suddenly drop a few pounds at once, at certain points in their monthly cycle.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is a very rough estimate, on the food side as well as the exercise side. If your level of food and exercise is keeping you in a holding pattern, then no matter what the numbers seem to say, it may be that that's your maintenance level. Try cutting the calories for a week, or upping the exercise, or both, and see if you don't show some results. That will give you valuable information.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh and log EVERYTHING? If no, start there.
  • Renzi27
    Renzi27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Did you also recently start an exercise program? I created a similar thread and got a lot of helpful information:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10319332/getting-started-with-exercise-does-it-really-take-this-long-to-see-results#latest
  • Maryal
    Options
    I'm going to try all suggestions. No have not weighed food. Some walking,yes. Using small plates,eyeballing portions. I am hungry ..so I thought I wasn't getting enough food. I've been under calorie count.
    It always remarks ...you'll weigh x amount in 5 weeks..but I haven't lost one lb.
  • roxymuller
    roxymuller Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Are you eating foods high in sugar, high in carbs or high in sodium which retains water.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Maryal wrote: »
    I'm going to try all suggestions. No have not weighed food. Some walking,yes. Using small plates,eyeballing portions. I am hungry ..so I thought I wasn't getting enough food. I've been under calorie count.
    It always remarks ...you'll weigh x amount in 5 weeks..but I haven't lost one lb.

I would say it's the eyeballing portions that is the problem. Normally when you aren't seeing results, it's because you are underestimating how much you're actually eating. Check out this calorie counting guide: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1 and there are a lot of other useful links here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest that will probably be helpful for your weight loss journey :)

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Maryal wrote: »

Eyeballing portions is probably your problem. Seeing a portion on the scale is eye-opening. You're eating more than you are logging.

If you're hungry, either your deficit (weight loss goal) is too aggressive or you may need to change your eating habits a bit to incorporate more low calorie foods or foods with more protein or fat to help keep you full longer.

The message "you'll weigh XX in 5 weeks" only takes into account what you log; not what you actually eat. It's also a very basic calculation of "if you ate exactly today's menu everyday for the next 5 weeks, you would weigh", so it's pretty much meaningless since no one eats exactly the same thing every day for 5 weeks.

Weigh your food and log it correctly. You'll start to lose weight. Keep up the effort.
  • Maryal
    Options
    :)
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When you start weight loss programme you normally see a good loss in the first couple of weeks then it steadies to around an average 1lb a week. It's not linear so don't be surprised if some weeks it goes up a bit, some it stays the same and some you lose more.
    The more you have to lose the greater the losses can be at the beginning but it varies greatly from person to person so don't compare too much with others, we all get there our own way.
    If you haven't seen that then something is wrong and the 'something' in your case I would say is 'eyeballing portions'.
    The staple foods in the MFP lists are given in oz or g but do you know what 1oz/25g of, for example, cheese looks like. Put one of your eyeballed portions on the scales and compare it to what you've been recording. You will get a shock - I know I did when I started weighing food.
    Weigh food and record EVERYTHING you eat honestly and you'll see results. And don't pay any attention to the 'you'll weigh X in this number of weeks' - you'll only be disappointed.
    Good luck x
  • Maryal
    Options
    Thanks