My first gain has me down today

So I had lost 6# and had a 2# gain today and I'm really bummed about it. Normally I'd try to be positive, but I'm not today. I didn't change anything except one day I had 500 more calories than normal, did all my 5 workouts and even ran one day which was huge for me, and I even had a BM so I know it's not that, lol. I'm just really frustrated because I didn't want to see that # again. Rrrrr....

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    So you're down4# overall right?

Weight loss isn't perfectly linear. This is how it works
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I'm going with water weight. Don't let fluctuations in body weight distract you, just keep going.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    edited February 2016
    500 calories != a pound of fat.

A two pound fluctuation is completely possible within a week or even a day, for a variety of reasons, including unusually high sodium intake and novel exercise. For women, menstrual cycle fluctuations can easily lead to several pounds of fluid retention from one week to another. You can't really usefully compare one week within a cycle to another for that reason- once you have several months worth of data, you'll probably see that it's common for you to "gain" a few pounds during part of your cycle that you'll drop again the following week.

Drink some water, plug your numbers in to trendweight or a similar app to see the big picture instead of obsessing over individual daily weights, and stick to the plan.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Whatever you do, don't hang out with Cam Newton.

It's normal. Especially if you changed a day of eating. If you're thinking fat calories gained, that means you had to consume over 7,200 calorie OVER your TDEE. And you KNOW that didn't happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GrowlingLucifer58
    GrowlingLucifer58 Posts: 21 Member
    Water retention can make you gain as much as 4lb in a day - it's most likely to be that! Drink plenty of water and you'll find it flushes out in a day or so. As you probably know, too much salt can cause your body to retain water too, so ease off the sodium for a little while. I think everyone experiences water retention from time to time!
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    I to used to get pretty frustrated seeing numbers fluctuating all the time but as others have said weight loss isnt linear. No one weighs x amount every single day. Try using happy scale app this is what I've been using for the last couple weeks and its better bc it shows your progress overall rather then just worrying from day to day. It also helps you understand fluctuations better too and not get so down about it.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Did you poop before weighing? Sorry to be crude but that makes me about 2lbs heavier haha
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    And it will happen again and again. But continue with what you're doing (logging and eating at goal) and it will come down. Stay positive.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Weight fluctuates constantly. Weigh yourself less often and you won't see the fluctuations. Once per week max if the fluctuations bother you.
  • napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Thanks all, this was my weekly weigh in, I don't weigh in more than that. I'll keep pushing forward, but I'm still annoyed ;)
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Do you weigh at the same time each time? My morning weight is always lower than my evening weight. Just keep with what you are doing. Weight loss takes time and patience unfortunately ;)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    You need the bible.... (below)

syfnqa57jcxr.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I gain water weight at ovulation and right before my TOM but the overall trend is down.

yr89sqt29png.png

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    napilibay wrote: »
    and even ran one day which was huge for me

Sometimes when you start a new exercise that is more intense than what you have been doing your muscles will retain water to repair themselves. I have seen it a lot in people who start running. They immediately 'put on' 2-3 lbs. It's not real weight, it's just your muscles hanging on to water as they attempt to repair themselves. It will come off as you get more used to the activity.
  • PrincessBanana89
    PrincessBanana89 Posts: 24 Member
    Remember, success is a continual journey, not a destination :)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    I feel you. My scale went up 2lbs today and I'm feeling bloated. My TOM is slowly ending so I'm guessing it's partially to blame. Not a good feeling today! I'm working on my first bottle of water now and I'm going for another walk at lunch.