Hobbies with a social aspect?

Options
jeebieheebies
jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
Hi! I am in college right now. I am scared for when I leave, I will not make any friends. I did not make any friends my first year of college, except for my boyfriend (we live together now) -- I attribute this partially to having no interests outside of school and just ~hanging out with friends~. Since then, I have gotten into running and veganism. I love how these hobbies come with a built-in community and social group. I kind of want to add to my arsenal something else that is fun and maybe takes work, but has a low startup cost, but offers a good community, no matter where I move when I graduate.

So, what do you guys do for a social activity/hobby? :)

Replies

• Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Volunteering.......there are dozens of opportunities involving all age groups and it always makes you feel better to help someone less fortunate.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Cycling
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Yay! I also volunteer ;)

Hiking is great. And so is boardgames. My bf and I are huge on playing boardgames at one of the many boardgames afternoons/evenings in and around where we live.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I play a medieval/fantasy LARP called Amtgard. Tons of LARP groups around, and people are generally there to have fun (and hit each other with padded sticks).
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I figure skate. I always have but it's a great place to meet friends. most of my friends are people I've met skating. Plus!!!!! It's exercise.
  • 1nsomniac13
    1nsomniac13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I can second the board games and RPG suggestion. Both types of games are very social and most areas have a solid gaming community you can connect with. Odds are, there are communities associated with your college for these hobbies that can tell you local hotspots for those activities.
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live but you may want to see if you have a social sports club in your city/state. I joined Social Boston Sports in my early 20's and it was the best thing I ever did - played kickball, *kitten* (bar league), and dodgeball (when I had never played before!). That led to a LOT more dodgeball (with my new friends), and even a reffing job. They also had themed parties and organized ski trips and whitewater rafting trips. About 80% of the friends I have today were made from getting involved with Social Boston Sports - I highly recommend joining, if you happen to have a social sport club in your area!! And not for nothing, and definitely not the point of a sport club, but I met my husband on one of their whitewater rafting trips :)
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    EmHorn4 wrote: »
    Not sure where you live but you may want to see if you have a social sports club in your city/state. I joined Social Boston Sports in my early 20's and it was the best thing I ever did - played kickball, *kitten* (bar league), and dodgeball (when I had never played before!). That led to a LOT more dodgeball (with my new friends), and even a reffing job. They also had themed parties and organized ski trips and whitewater rafting trips. About 80% of the friends I have today were made from getting involved with Social Boston Sports - I highly recommend joining, if you happen to have a social sport club in your area!! And not for nothing, and definitely not the point of a sport club, but I met my husband on one of their whitewater rafting trips :)

wow it bleeped the word corn h0le? Yeah I mean its not the best name but its a real name for a beanbag toss game!
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I golf, fish, BBQ, camp, into all sports, and I'm somewhat of an artist (paint & draw). I'm not shy at all, so I've never had any trouble meeting new people. Guess that's why I'm in sales. My son has been in scouts for 8 years also. So we stay busy with that as well.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Golfing and I LOVE fishing public fishing holes, particularly bank fishing spots. I like live sports (went to all Texas A&M's football, basketball and baseball games while I was in grad. school). I play VERY fast in golf, so I meet all kinds of people on the course playing thru/joining groups. Every where I've moved I've found a group of guys/gals to play with pretty quickly.

For as anti-social as I can seem to the social drinkers/clubbers, I don't mind doing those things by myself and talking to people while I do them.

I personally can't do the "hang out in a bar and chit chat" stuff. That stresses me out, besides hating the whole "let's find an excuse to get drunk" social culture that I loathe about "normality".
  • 1dancingdragonfly
    Options
    Hi Jeebieheebies,
    When I went to college, I had such an anxiety about doing well that I did not get involved much socially either. Of course, for those of faith, the local student chapter of my faith was the option I took. But, after I graduated I developed a circle of friends when I joined a local gym. From there I developed an interest in dancing that started in the gym with Jazzercise. Today, the big interest is in Zumba. Local recreation centers offer these types of activities in many towns for a cheaper fee. And, many companies in which I worked also offered gyms and exercise classes, tennis or soccer clubs which naturally support the growth of work relationships.
    In the dance world, in most major cities, you can find swing dance clubs, square dance groups, country/western dance groups, push dance groups, ballroom dance groups, folk dance and contra dance groups. For example, I dance in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, but after attending workshops in other cities and connecting with people in other cities who, in return, attend workshops in DFW, I have created an entire statewide network of people who love the dancing I enjoy.
    The quality of people is such that I can call a member from my list and ask if there is floor space for me to attend a workshop, and most will say yes. Or, the groups have registrar members that can connect me with someone that can provide a bed, or a couch. Most dance workshops bring in teachers who teach most of the day, and break for meals, to return for a party in the evening. I belong to a folk dance group in Texas that facilitates a three-day workshop during the Thanksgiving holiday. As many as 250 people gather from all corners of the world to learn the ethnic cultural dances of a country, to eat the food of that culture, learn three or four songs in the language of that culture and some traditions of that culture, e.g., wedding traditions. The evening parties are for socially doing the dances learned earlier that day or the day before. it is a multi-generational experience. Most of these dance groups have Facebook profiles; this adds another dimension of social connection. http://www.nttds.org/ http://tifd.org/texas-camp/ http://www.dsds.org/

The country/western group I once belonged to went weekly to a given C&W bar and danced together as a group, so we knew the people we were with and this added a second layer of safety for singles. Most dancers in bars know that dancers gather near the dance floor; one can observe a pitcher of water on their table rather than a pitcher of beer. Many church groups will go on Sunday eve's to the classes that are being offered so they learn the moves together and then stay a while to practice after the class. This also adds a second layer of safety for singles. It was from this circle of friends that I went camping, hiked, sailed together, went fishing together and made for much support. http://www.dfwcountrydancelessons.com/
    There are in many states groups called Society for Creative Anachronism. They are an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating pre-17th-century European history. It is all encompassing from the dress, to weaponry, to speech, to social morays to dancing, etc. http://www.sca.org
    Similar to this are the Civil War re-enactment groups to be found across the country.

There are canoeing clubs that go on trips during holidays and teach classes before the trips. Most major cities provide groups like this, too. I took a three-day canoe trip into Big Ben I will never forget during the Thanksgiving holiday. From this group, there were members of the Dallas Gem and Mineral Society that also took trips. http://www.down-river.com/
    Good luck with finding what interests you the most in the part of the country in which you thrive.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Join a badminton or tennis group where they mix people around for social matches ie you change partners and opposition every game over a 60 minute session.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Roller derby. Horseback riding at good barn is usually a nice social experience.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am in college right now. I am scared for when I leave, I will not make any friends. I did not make any friends my first year of college, except for my boyfriend (we live together now) -- I attribute this partially to having no interests outside of school and just ~hanging out with friends~. Since then, I have gotten into running and veganism. I love how these hobbies come with a built-in community and social group. I kind of want to add to my arsenal something else that is fun and maybe takes work, but has a low startup cost, but offers a good community, no matter where I move when I graduate.

I do pottery :) It has changed my life.

Not only do I make friends with a huge array of people who come into the studio, while we sit next to each other and create our things at the wheel (from 75 year old ex-secretaries gone radical protestors, to 25 year old microbiologist PhDs), but then I also have a ton of mugs, bowls, plates, etc that I've made at home. They're always ready to gift to people who come by my house. People love getting pottery, and it is a way for me to let people know they matter to me.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I'm not great at making new friends so I found going to the same exercise class a week helped. Pole class really helped as everyone sucked the same when starting so you all have that in common and help each other!
  • RunningBuryBlue
    RunningBuryBlue Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Look for an activity that needs a team. Rowing, Hockey are my suggestions

Good luck with your course
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    RPG is great fun. Try finding a knit and knatter group, there are more and more young people learning and it's cheap as chips!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

I always did team sports and found I meet a lot of good people that way. Actually, I never liked dating at all and found athletics and such were also a great way to find like minded girls too.