I just discovered rice paper sheets!!!

Options
summerkissed
summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
Omg if you haven't tried them you should!!! They are tasty, stay together easy, and are so cheap!!! I'll never use wraps again!! And my kids love them!!! What are your yummy ways of preparing them?

Replies

• mikejdeleon85
    mikejdeleon85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    they are awesome haven't made anything at home yet with these but love veggie spring rolls from Vietnamese restaurants.

ever try?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen rice paper since I was at primary school, just wanted to say - can I please have your wombat?
  • summerkissed
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Haven't seen rice paper since I was at primary school, just wanted to say - can I please have your wombat?

Hehe Nope I love my Little Miss Daisy
  • summerkissed
    edited February 2016
    Options
    they are awesome haven't made anything at home yet with these but love veggie spring rolls from Vietnamese restaurants.

ever try?

I've had spring rolls like the fried cheap kind but not from a proper restaurant as such! I came upon them by accident at the supermarket and thought 17 sheets for $1.50 I'll give them a try! I've just been wrapping carrot, cucumber, chicken and avocado in them and dipping in a little ketchup manis....so yummy and you can put tones of ingredients in them and they stay together :smiley:

• kerrirents
    kerrirents Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yum this is a great idea Thank you
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I wrap lettuce, cucumber, carrots, shrimp, crab stick and avocado. Serve with peanut dipping sauce or sweet chili sauce. So good! And very fresh. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/goldenland-spring-rolls-with-thai-style.html
  • Loser_53
    Loser_53 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I will have to see if I can find these at the local grocery story. They sound great. Do you just eat them like that or do they have to be cooked?
  • mrschikin
    mrschikin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Loser_53 wrote: »
    I will have to see if I can find these at the local grocery story. They sound great. Do you just eat them like that or do they have to be cooked?

You soak them in water to get them to soften a bit. Then you can wrap things in them.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Oh yes - summer rolls are amazingly yummy. And very fresh tasting.

- I take out a pie plate or a wide bowl filled with water when eating.
    - Then you slip one in, let it soak for about 10-30 seconds, and pull it out, laying it flat on your dinner plate. Don't let it soak too long or it will be really hard to pull it out. I take mine out when it is still a little firm as it continues softening on my plate.
    - Then, put your fillings (I usually use raw stuff like jullienned carrots and cucumbers, lettuce strips, etc).
    - Treat it like a fajita and roll it up into a burrito shape. Do it gently as it is delicate! The wet rice paper roll will stick to itself and stay together much easier than a tortilla. Plus, it has some stretch to it.

Note that they are about 30-40 cals each and very filling. I usually eat 2 rolls stuffed with raw veggies (and some egg omelette strips & pan fried tofu strips) and am very full. I haven't added up the calories for that type of meal yet though. Need to add it to my menu soon - I miss it :)