Why can't I Run? What to do ?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »
    I once had a miserable p.e. lesson in school, I came stone last in a small cross country run some 30 years ago and hated running. Fast forward to a couple of years ago some like minded friends and I started walk/jogging. We mapped out a 5k route, stretched and jogged as far as we could (for the 1st few weeks that would be nearly the end of the road), walked until we caught our breath and then jogged a bit more. We repeated the process again and again, 3 times a week. In about 3 months we then did the whole 5k jogging (should i say looking like we were running, but going faster than walking :D ). Then, we 'failed' a couple more times, but persisted. 3-6 months later I was running in the summer and thought, if I can now do this for 30 minutes, I reckon I could do 60 minutes and ran the route again, covering 10k. I went through leg pain, back pain, lung pain, felt like I was running through waist high mud, shin splints, stitches and blisters but ........... persevere, it WILL come and one day you say to yourself "I really, really enjoyed that run" !
    Couple that up with following a diet that works for you and weight loss is in the post :)

This. You don't train for a marathon over night. The cardiovascular strength and endurance (along with the leg strength and endurance) takes time to build. I always thought I couldn't run. Then I started to set small goals for myself which led to small victories. If you told me 5 years ago that i'd run 7.4 miles at a consistent 9:12 pace I would have died laughing at you.

Start small, try running for a minute and then walking for a minute, repeat that for 20 minutes or however long you want. Build from there. As you lose weight and keep going it will get better. My biggest thing was embracing how much running sucks when you first start.

This and this. When I was your weight I didn't run either. I only started running-and it was only a minute at a time-when walking got boring.

I run and exercise for the strength, endurance and mobility gains. Trimming up was only a side benefit.
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Br3ntG wrote: »
    No, walking isn't enough to lose weight. You need to eat at a calorie deficit and even better, don't eat back the calories you burn through exercise. What has worked for me is finding out my BMR and eating 250-500 cal under that.

My Height: 5'10
    Weight Checked Today: 244 lb
    BMR: 2305

Eating Around: 1500-1700 Calories
    Today I burnt: 1205 Calories. It was raining so i walked less.
    Mostly i walk 12+ miles and burn 1800+ calories.

What will you say now?
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Make sure the calories aren't low fat or fast food. Walking does help you lose weight. It just takes time! Becoming discouraged and straying from a good eating plan will be what gets ya!

I'd double check what food is going in and then do strength exercises so your muscles can handle the pounding.

Running x amount of steps and then walking x amount of steps also helps. I did this for 6 miles along the Charles river in Boston several years ago. I was 240 pounds and it helped me avoid a lot of the pain.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I walk daily 12+ miles at 3.7mph.
    Current Weight: 249 lb

But i can't run my legs hurt my whole body hurts while running? So i walk for losing weight

Is walking this enough for me to lose weight?

In terms of exercise, yes, walking is enough. You don't have to run to lose weight. You may be able to work up to it one day.

If you have access to an elliptical, try doing that. You may have to start with short times on it, but it can help build endurance without the impact of running if you really want to run.
  • AamirKhan2016
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I am a walker, not a runner. I walk or hike, dance & lift a little. I am losing weight. You may find running gets easier as you slim down. It is true that all the walking in the world can't necessarily get you to a deficit if you are overeating. Follow MFP's recommendation for that, or Fitbits (or equivalent) if you wear a tracker. Forget the BMR advice above. That's just silly. BMR is what your body would use in a climate controlled clinical setting in a near coma. More useful is to figure out your TDEE. There are algorhythms for this if you google it. If you are afraid of overestimating your activity chose sedentary as your norm. Don't be afraid to eat back some of your workout calories if you go that route.
    The 'best' workout is the one you can and will complete consistently; the 'best' deficit is the one you can meet consistently. If you find you are losing slowly but steadily, maybe it's just your attitude that needs adjustment. None of this is to diss running. I live in a family of runners! But it's not for everyone, certainly not for me.

Mostly i walk 12miles+ daily in week 5 to 6 times.
    According to MFP i am burning daily 1800+ calories.
    I walk too much and now its boring i want to run and burn these calories in less duration.
    I am eating 1500-1700 calories daily.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    No, walking isn't enough to lose weight. You need to eat at a calorie deficit and even better, don't eat back the calories you burn through exercise. What has worked for me is finding out my BMR and eating 250-500 cal under that.

Can you tell us exactly what disqualifies walking as cardio/aerobic activity?
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I wanted to comment but I'd just repeat everyone most everyone has said...but i'll do it anyway.

You want to lose weight? Then your focus needs to be on your calorie intake. You have to monitor and learn more about what and how much is going into your body...and a great way to learn that is through calorie counting.

Since you're on MFP, you're likely already doing that.

So in terms of exercise, walking is plenty at a high weight. Try to walk fast...get your heart rate up. When you feel ready it's fine to just be "walking" then try to jog for 10-30 seconds, then walk 2 minutes, then jog another 10-30 seconds. I was 290 lbs. I started running at 215 lbs by doing exactly this.

BUT - running also isn't the epitome of fitness. You don't want to run? Don't run! If you have access to stairs (eg: a stadium) do that! If you have access to a bicycle, do that! If you have access to a mountain, climb that betch! IF you have access to a gym, try out the elliptical or the stair-stepper! There are sooooooo many options :)

M
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    OP, exercise intensity should be viewed on a sliding scale. It directly relates to your fitness level. A more fit person (read: someone who can handle prolonged periods of high activity - weight is not necessarily a huge factor) will have a harder time elevating their heart rate, and thus will need to resort to more rigorous activity.

If walking gets your heart going, and you feel it's challenging enough for you, do what works. The results will speak for themselves. When the results slow down, re-evaluate and see what you can do. There is tons of anecdotal evidence supporting that steady state cardio largely varies on the person. I myself lost 40lb without running more than a mile ever.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    OP. You walk 12+ miles a day. Keep doing what you're doing. You don't have to run a single step if you don't want to. And really, why would you run 3 miles when you have time to walk 12?

I lost all my weight doing almost exactly this. Just make sure you have good shoes because they'll wear out quickly.

Seriously, you exercise more than most of the responders. The weight will come off. If you change your mind at some point about running, then trot a little on these mega walks. Then trot more. Or don't.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, you can slowly build up to running with a walk/run program. Couch to 5k has been mentioned a few times. I used it last year when my starting weight was 238.6 lbs. It took me about 13 weeks to complete the 8 week program as I had to repeat a couple of weeks and once even went back a week. Another great program is Zombies, Run 5k. It is bit less structured than C25K and has a zombie apocalypse story line that goes with it. I personally use the regular Zombies, Run app for all my runs now.
  • Mapalicious
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OP. You walk 12+ miles a day. Keep doing what you're doing. You don't have to run a single step if you don't want to. And really, why would you run 3 miles when you have time to walk 12?

I lost all my weight doing almost exactly this. Just make sure you have good shoes because they'll wear out quickly.

Seriously, you exercise more than most of the responders. The weight will come off. If you change your mind at some point about running, then trot a little on these mega walks. Then trot more. Or don't.

This is wonderful advice :)

Eat well and walk to victory!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you really burn 1800 cals plus have a bmr of 2300 and are sedentary then you can eat up to 4560 cals without gaining weight. To lose 2 lbs/week you should be eating 3560 (as you should be eating most of the cals back that you burn from exercise) Or set your goal to maintain, and let your walking create your deficit.

That said, I doubt you are burning 1800/day from walking alone (how long does it take you to walk 12 miles, or is that added up throughout the day?) if throughout the day you should not log it as exercise but rather change your activity level to active or very active. Aslo if you are not losing 5-6 lbs/week (based on your deficit of 3000ish/day (4500-1500 ) then you are either not burning as much as you think, or eating more than you think (most likely both)

Do you weight your food with a scale? how are you calculating cals burned from exercise.

I would suggest couch to 5K if you still want to run.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    srslybritt wrote: »

If his heart rate is not elevated then by definition it would not be cardio, as cardio increases cardiac work (heart beats faster to pump more blood/oxygen to muscles)
  • Mapalicious
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    srslybritt wrote: »

If his heart rate is not elevated then by definition it would not be cardio, as cardio increases cardiac work (heart beats faster to pump more blood/oxygen to muscles)

As someone who has gone for walks at 250 lbs...yea, it can get your heart rate going 0.0
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If I walk a mile in 20 minutes I burn around 120 cals.
    If I run a mile in 10 minutes I burn around 140 cals, and then I burn around 9 cals standing around waiting for the I that walked to get there.

But as folks advised, ease into running. Try something like Couch to 5k (C25K), or if you have a smartphone I loved using the Zombies, Run! 5k Training -- It is an interactive story, and you have a reason for running.
  • AamirKhan2016
    Options

You made my day :p an hour ago i checkd my weight it is 244 lb. I lost 33 Pounds in 3 to 4 months but sometimes i eat too much when i am with my burger friends :smiley: in these 4 months there were some vacations there i ate 10000 calories in 2 days :'( i repeated this every month for 2 to 3 days i ate alot and then i came back to my diet+ walking routine.
    Actually when i see people running i dont feel good and some people say to me that walking is for old people. I feel like i cant do it
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to run for years but just don't have the stamina or leg strength to run. I highly recommend the Zen Labs C25k app, its awesome and I also recommend doing low impact workout videos that concentrate on cardio & lower body. I've been doing one for the last 3 weeks and last night I ran on the treadmill. it wasn't a fast run and I had to do intervals of 2 minutes running /2 minutes walking but I wasn't in pain afterwards like I used to be and my hips aren't aching this morning like they would be in the past. It really does take time for some of us. Be patient.
  • Mapalicious
    Options

You made my day :p an hour ago i checkd my weight it is 244 lb. I lost 33 Pounds in 3 to 4 months but sometimes i eat too much when i am with my burger friends :smiley: in these 4 months there were some vacations there i ate 10000 calories in 2 days :'( i repeated this every month for 2 to 3 days i ate alot and then i came back to my diet+ walking routine.
    Actually when i see people running i dont feel good and some people say to me that walking is for old people. I feel like i cant do it

"my burger friends"....that's hilarious
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I walk daily 12+ miles at 3.7mph.
    Current Weight: 249 lb

But i can't run my legs hurt my whole body hurts while running? So i walk for losing weight

Is walking this enough for me to lose weight?

Try running at 4.0, or at 4.2 remember running is a bit faster then a walking motion.