How do you avoid temptation?

Options
Hello everyone,
How does everyone avoid temptation and stay committed? What works for you? I have a graduation party to go to later and there will be tons of bad food. My biggest weakness is going to be the graduation cake. I swear, sugar is a like a drug to me and I cannot seem to say no to it. I always feel sick after I eat it yet I eat it anyways. I want the cake because everyone else wants it.

I have really been struggling with my body image. I feel SO big and it makes me even more depressed. It actually makes me want to eat more sugar and junk. I only have support from people on here. My boyfriend doesn't know how to be supportive. He says I quit every diet I try. That may be true, but I don't need it rubbed in my face.

I should give up sugar completely. Has anyone tried that?

Replies

• goldninja
    goldninja Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    the key is not avoidance. You can have your cake and eat it too. It's just a matter of portion control. Instead of a great big size get a 1" by 1" small square and break it into a few bites and savor making it last. This way you won't blow your diet and you still get to have cake with your friends. A piece that size is about 100 calories unless it's a 7 layer cake.
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree that the best thing to do is to not completely avoid it. You have to learn to say no to it though. I have found that I can diet really well when there is nothing bad in the house but right when someone brings something bad I snap and eat everything. But when I have to constantly say no to temptations it makes me way stronger and eventually I don't have any problem with it.
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    i am with you on EVERY aspect in your post!!!! my dh says the same thing about diets...he's right though. and I need to give up sugar too. I did it for 40 days in feb/mar and it was awesome. I felt fantastic! but, like any drug a little bit after that is all it took to be back on the slippery slope :( IF you say NO today to the cake you will feel soooo good!!!!! it willbe amazing howgreat of a victory it will be if you just commit t say no TODAY only on the cake...try it :) I promise you will feel awesome!!!!!

and yes, I agree that IF you can do it in moderation as cruizinkitty says then thatis great, but, i know from experience that when you feel addicted you can't just ave a 1x1 square pc of cake and stop. it's kind of like telling a smoker that is quitting that half a cigarette won't hurt...i KNOW it works for some people... not me :(

JUST SAY NO...today only :) you can do it!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    So youll get plenty of people telling you to give up sugar completly. It never works for me it causes me to binge because my body is rediculously deprived. So Ive adopted a "sweets in moderation" rule for my lifestyle change. I will literally count out 51 Reese's Pieces to have a perfect serving so I dont eat the entire bag. I also dont buy them unless I have craved them for more then 3 hours (I dont go days or I binge) I make them fit into my normal caloric goals or excercise my butt off to eat them.

I wouldnt beable to stand an unsupportive BF. Mine has been amazing, even though he met me 55 lbs into my weight loss he see's old pictures he compliments me but tells me I dont have to try to lose, but Ill just look more amazing as I do. He also loves the healthy cooking I do.

I tend to encourage people to make cakes I dont like (either chocolate or with any form of buttercream frosting... I like whipped frosting lol) If there is a cake I like I cut a 1x1 inch square and chose a fruit or healthier side to have too. Binge on the veggies while youre there and you wont have as much room for the sweets
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as being committed. Commitment implies effort and that will lead to you giving up in the end. Use MFP to teach you healthy eating habits, think of it as an education tool, not an effort.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    The only way I got rid of (or controlled) my sugar addiction was to stop eating processed foods. There are additives in processed foods that for me causes more cravings for sweet foods. The food companies know what they are doing and that is keep you addicted to sugar. Stop the processed foods and you will soon be surprised how naturally sweet things are without added sugar. Good luck on your journey.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I follow an "everything in moderation" lifestyle. Giving up the things you REALLY enjoy won't help you be successful with this lifestyle change. It will cause you to feel resentful and will, in my opinion, cause binge eating.

Portion control is the key. Eat smaller amounts of the foods you enjoy.
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I know that if I try to deny myself all sweet things I always fall off the wagon spectacularly, so I go the other way - making sure I get to eat something sweet every day, but choosing carefully so I don't live to regret it. And for a truly special occasion like graduation, I'd definitely eat (a small bit of the) cake.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Just like grocery shopping... don't go on an empty stomach! Have a snack like an apple or banana, etc. before you go and that way you aren't as tempted to eat everything. Bring a bottle of water in case they don't have any available. Go ahead and have a small piece of cake... it won't set you back from all the hard work you've already put in. :)
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    The only way I got rid of (or controlled) my sugar addiction was to stop eating processed foods. There are additives in processed foods that for me causes more cravings for sweet foods. The food companies know what they are doing and that is keep you addicted to sugar. Stop the processed foods and you will soon be surprised how naturally sweet things are without added sugar. Good luck on your journey.

I totally agree! It is really amazing how I've stopped craving sugar since I've cut out the processed stuff.
  • catie224
    catie224 Posts: 50
    Options
    I've just discovered Sees lollipops and they are honestly the best thing ever. The regulars have 90 calories, but I've ordered the minis and I believe they're only around 30 calories each. Usually by the time the lollipop dissolves, I've had my sweet fix and the temptation to eat something worse is gone. Here's the link to the pops...
    Regular:
    http://www.sees.com/prod.cfm/pops_and_candies/Lollypops
    Mini:
    http://www.sees.com/prod.cfm/pops_and_candies/Little_Pops

=)
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hey! I love cake and sugar too....This is what I do and it normally works. Get a *SMALL* piece of cake--I mean like the size of a large egg. Get a large glass of water also. Eat the cake slowly and in small bites---alternate each bite with a large swig of water. The water normally fills up my stomach and the little bit of cake will get my sweet tooth taken care of! It's really hard for me too....Youu can do it!
  • manda2j
    manda2j Posts: 63
    Options
    Don't think of MFP as a diet! Think of it as a tool to help you acquire a healthier lifestyle :) you will not fail at MFP you will not quit MFP, it will always be here ready for you to come back to if you have a few messups and stumbling blocks... It is a lifestyle change! not a diet ;) and you can do it! make sure you're drinking your water before the party, and eat w/e healthy foods are there, i.e. veggie tray ;) and when the cake comes out... just go over to where some other people are and chat it up! don't be right next to the cake, staring at it and drooling LOL! there's always someone at the party not eating cake, go find them and distract yourself :)
  • tropicalicyicy
    tropicalicyicy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    the key is not avoidance. You can have your cake and eat it too. It's just a matter of portion control. Instead of a great big size get a 1" by 1" small square and break it into a few bites and savor making it last. This way you won't blow your diet and you still get to have cake with your friends. A piece that size is about 100 calories unless it's a 7 layer cake.

i totally agree. i let myself have my favorite foods but in small portions. it's good to give yourself a treat as long as you are mostly eating healthy and getting exercise in, it will keep you sane. i read somewhere that the first bite tastes like the last, and it's true. you won't be totally restricting yourself and therefore craving it even more (we all want what we can't have), but this way you'll get a few tastes and just savor them =)
  • LaDawn74
    LaDawn74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've learned to just starting the serving size that is listed on the package if I want something that isn't healthy for me...i.e potato chips.

Just do portion control on your foods at the graduation party. Take one small spoonful of something. Don't over do it...try to eat lots of veggies and fruits if they have it...

I agree with the cake part...take a small piece....or share a piece with a friend if you can't get a small piece....

Stop thinking of this as a diet......START thinking of it as LIFESTYLE change!!!! That's what I've had to do......
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I think this is a case of knowing your downfalls. I don't believe in cutting out everything because if I did I'd end up binging and that's not very productive, but there are things that I try to avoid. For me it's things like jelly beans which are near pure sugar. I can't just eat a couple, even though if I did I could keep the calories down. I just know how I react to that much sweet, so they're one of the few things fully off my list. That may change in the future, I don't know, but for now I just avoid them.

So the question is...is cake a major trigger for you? Or can you do as others have suggested and just have a small piece to mark the occasion? Is it the cake itself or is it the icing? Can you eat the cake but not the icing and be satisfied?

Stay aware and keep drinking water, it does help to cut the cravings and keep you feeling full.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    The best thing for me is the Extra dessert flavoured chewing gum. It comes in mint chocolate chip, strawberry shortcake and key lime pie (my fave). Its hard to eat cake when you are chewing gum. The best part is the flavour lasts for ages and your mouth totally thinks that you have had dessert.:smile ( 5 cals per piece)
  • DEE_68
    DEE_68 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No i dont think you should give up sugar completely, but change how you get your sugar.Try having fruits that have natural sugar and see if that helps the craving. If not , then dont deprive yourself because if you do you will just eat more when you finally give in....and you will give in.Try limiting the amount of cake you eat. or what ever it is like chips or chocolate......put an amount on a plate , or bowl and when that amount is gone ...your done.....This helps for me...hope it helps for you.
  • sarastark86
    Options
    Can you take some sugar-free mints and have one when you feel tempted by the cake?? I find brushing my teeth can stop me craving bad stuff (my weaknesses are crisps and cheese!) as I know the minty flavour will make everything taste yuck anyway.
  • thin4life67
    thin4life67 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can have your cake and eat it too!! The key is portion control. Have a small piece...just enough to give you a taste. Total avoidance of foods you enjoy is a bad thing. That can very easily lead to binging on what you've missed.