1200 vs 1700

Options
I just went to another site and gave them information and they say I should be eating 1700calories instead of 1200.. wouldn't more calories make me even bigger.. at 1200 for 4 weeks, I have lost nothing… I am so confused with the calorie intake. I am 68 and need to lose 50lbs.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Did the calorie calculator you used assume a certain level of exercise? That can create differences from MFP goals.

If you haven't lost in a month on 1,200, have you eliminated any logging issues? Often when people aren't losing on a low calorie goal, they are eating more than they think they are.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What site did you use?

Chances are you used a site that calculates your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). That is all the calories you need in one day, from body functions, to every day activity and exercise. If you eat this number you will neither gain or lose weight.
    Then you take a deficit from that number. If you selected 20%, that's 1 lbs a week, so around 500 calories less.

On MFP, it figures your NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenisis). That's the calories you need from body functions and daily activity. Exercise is NOT included. Then it takes a deficit from that number. If you selected 2 lbs a week, that would be a 1000 calorie deficit, 1 lb a week would be 500.
    MFP also expects you to log your exercise and eat those calories back since it isn't included in your calorie figure. So at 1200 calories a day, if you burn 300 calories, you would eat 1500 calories.

So basically, the difference is that in one, exercise is included, in the other you have to add it. Also, there may be a difference in the weight loss goal.

If these are done correctly, with the same goals, it should average out over the week to about the same number.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What site did you go to? Did it factor in TDEE? Sounds like you want to lose quickly at two pounds a week and you're female. (I extrapolated that from your 1200 net calorie goal.) If you've lost nothing,and you've not gained, that's still good. Check your logging to make sure it's correct. Also, give yourself time. A number of things could be causing your weight loss or fat loss to look like there's nothing you've accomplished.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Go to this site: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Fill in height, weight, age, gender, activity level & exercise (if you plan to do any). This is an approximation on your maintenance (TDEE).....the calories needed to stay at your current weight.

Then subtract 500 calories from that. That is the number of calories you need to eat to lose 1 pound a week.

Logging food is only as accurate as you make it. Many people here use a food scale. Some food entries in MFP are flat out wrong. You need to choose wisely.

As far as another site giving you 1700. There could be a number of reasons. MFP does not include exercise until you actively log it. MFP lets you put in an aggressive weekly goal. An aggressive weekly goal = a small number of calories daily. Apples and oranges.
  • morey235
    morey235 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was on Jillian Michaels site and filled out there questions. It said 1700 calories.. after being on 1200.. 1700 seems to high for me. thanks for replies
  • morey235
    morey235 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Scooby tells me 1311calories.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and have been losing fine on 1200. I would definitely gain on 1700 but then I'm only 5ft. When I reach goal my maintenance will only be about 1450 - The penalty for being old and short!

I weigh all solids and semi-solids on my digital scale [in grams whenever possible] and find this is essential for me.

Go with what MFP tells you and do some exercise [I walk and do static bike] if you can.
  • KSnow78
    KSnow78 Posts: 37 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I joined and MFP says 1200 calories... This seams really low. Ive logged into Scooby (with no exercise) and it says...

Step 1: Enter Your Gender
    Female

Step 2: Enter Your Weight
    Pounds:

Step 3: Enter Your Height
    Centimeters:

Step 4: Enter Your Age

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)

Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE)

Daily calories based on weight loss goal in step 6

**** 1516 to lose 1 lb per week (with no exercise) seems much higher than 1200 calories...

How do I know what is right ?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I joined and MFP says 1200 calories... This seams really low. Ive logged into Scooby and it says...

Step 1: Enter Your Gender
    Female

Step 2: Enter Your Weight
    Pounds:

Step 3: Enter Your Height
    Centimeters:

Step 4: Enter Your Age

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)

Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE)

Daily calories based on weight loss goal in step 6

**** 1516 to lose 1 lb per week seems much higher than 1200 calories...

How do I know what is right ?

If you choose "2lbs loss per week" in MFP, and you're female and not really big and tall, it usually dumps you at 1200. Consider changing it to reflect the 1lb per week loss and the number should become more reasonable. 2lbs loss per week should really be reserved to those people with 50+ lbs to lose, and if you're just barely over that it makes little difference, as it's rarely sustainable in the lower lbs.