Newbie here ! Praying to lose 50 by June 1

Options
Hello everyone
I keep an open diary. And would love someone who is dedicated, supportive and motivated to keep me accountable. That sounds silly since I am 33 and a mother of 3. I should be responsible enough to do that however I am clueless when it comes to dieting. I read up on it and feel like one thing contradicts the other and I get flustered and confused. I've tried and failed at losing weight since my first child was born in 2010. I am 40 pounds heavier since having kids and ideally would love to lose 60-70
My goal is set at 50 by June 1. HELP ME

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    That really isn't a safe and healthy rate of loss. 1/2 to 2 pounds is and the closer to goal it will slow down.
    Hello everyone
    I keep an open diary. And would love someone who is dedicated, supportive and motivated to keep me accountable. That sounds silly since I am 33 and a mother of 3. I should be responsible enough to do that however I am clueless when it comes to dieting. I read up on it and feel like one thing contradicts the other and I get flustered and confused. I've tried and failed at losing weight since my first child was born in 2010. I am 40 pounds heavier since having kids and ideally would love to lose 60-70

• alenuneznew
    alenuneznew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, we're kind of in the same situation, I'm 34 and I'm also the mother of three (including my step daughter). I'm currently in a Medical Weight Loss program for 6 months so I can qualify for a Gastric Bypass Surgery. To tell you the truth, I don't want to go through with it, I would prefer to lose the weight on my own, I still signed up for it because that was the only way my insurance would cover my consultations.

I was amazed that my doctor recommended I signed up for a Myfitnesspal account, I thought they would have me under some special diet and would recommend things that I had never heard before but no, I came back to something I had already done.

I have been able to lose weight in the past, but I always managed to put it back on because of my lack of consistency. Anyways, today is my 5th day here and I have already lost 4 pounds. Your goal is ambitious but doable, is just very weird that is the goal I have to, if you're up to it, we can help each other through this journey. I have read many books, watched plenty of documentaries and attended a few nutrition classes so I now have a better understanding on how to be successful this time.

Good Luck!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you in your weight loss journey! Any reason for the goal number and date? I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but this is probably not going to happen (I know I won't be the first of last to say it). Healthy weight loss is slow and typically a goal of 1-2 pounds a week (depending on how close you are to a healthy BMI) should be goal. This gives you 15 weeks to lose 50 pounds which is 3.33 a week - not healthy. Make a plan, stick to your calorie goals, exercise and the weight will come off. Stick with this and you will reach your 50 pound weight loss goal probably not by the June 1 deadline, but you will have lost for sure!
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Same advice here- don't rush yourself too much. A half to 2 lbs a week may not seem like a lot but if you stick with it, you can safely lose 5-10 lbs a month and not starve yourself or get down on yourself for not "losing fast enough." You can do this! I'm a mom too and know how tough it is. I love seeking out success stories -whether on this site or sites like Sparkpeople or Livestrong - where people did it healthy. I know what you mean about contradictions and such- but use common sense and know that fad diets are not sustainable and it's not a race to lose weight, but a true lifestyle change.
    That really isn't a safe and healthy rate of loss. 1/2 to 2 pounds is and the closer to goal it will slow down.

• becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to set reasonable goals. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure. 1-2 pounds a week is doable. If you are down 15 pounds at a minimum you will feel so much better and that will give you continued motivation to keep working at it. Best of luck to you !
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone

your diary is not open...
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Did you gain 50 lbs in 3.5 months? Most likely not - and you aren't going to (safely) lose it that fast either. With 60-70 lbs to lose, start at trying for 1-1.5 lbs per week. You may lose a bit more for the first few weeks, but as long as you aren't under eating based on your calorie goal you should be fine. Remember that weight lose is not linear - you are going to have weeks that you ate perfectly yet the scale didn't move downward. Set reasonable goals so you don't disappoint yourself and give up.
  • danadinunno
    danadinunno Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes. You are all right. I was being extra hopeful. I did start this journey Jan 4 and am down 10 pounds already. So technically it would be 40 more by then. None the less. Any loss is a blessing
    Thank you all
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Hello everyone

your diary is not open...

In 3.5 months the most you could loose is about 25 - 28 pounds at 2 pounds a week. And this only if you have already started the MFP deficit and been at it at least 3 - 4 weeks. If you just started today then I back that back down to 20 pounds as your body needs a bit of time to adjust in the beginning.

HOWEVER, you did not gain all this weight in 3.5 - 4 months and you sure won't loose it that fast. You can take this window of time you have setup for yourself to start to work the MFP deficit into your life and even start to change any habits or just learning to make newer healthier habits... start loosing weight a wee bit slower than 2 pounds a week. You stated you had children and I presume a husband. Is everyone in your family on board, or are there other changes that need to be made so that your plan is executed and setup for success?

What's the hurry anyway. Also do you plan to start exercising any? I know having little ones is difficult to work exercise in, but you may want to factor anything like this into your plan?

I tired looking at your diary and it was closed to see how many calories you eat a day, and look at the actually logging to see if you were weighing your food, etc..

This is all about I can say... so good luck with it!!!!

• RoxieDawn
    Options
    Yes. You are all right. I was being extra hopeful. I did start this journey Jan 4 and am down 10 pounds already. So technically it would be 40 more by then. None the less. Any loss is a blessing
    Thank you all

I must have been writing and posting the same time you were doing this post..

Oh girlfriend you got this... keep doing what ya doing!

Cheers.. :)
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? How are you breaking that down by protein/carbs/etc? Activity level? Current height/weight?

Despite what the naysayers will tell you, it is entirely possible to meet this goal, if you do it right.
  • pippishortstockings
    Options
    Thank you all

Wow, that's great!!! Keep it up, and don't get discouraged! Your weight loss will slow down, but just remember that if you're being active you will be gaining muscle. This will affect the results you see on the scale, so focus also on how clothing fits you, and how much energy you have.

I have gained and lost a lot with yoyo dieting, and I can tell you that taking your time and doing it right is so worth it!
  • danadinunno
    Options
    Sorry. My diary was open to friends. It is now public. I didn't realize that.
    My husband and family are not on board. I make two meals everyday. They still fill my home with junk. I am very honest with logging. I log everything but water. I am doing good IMO. but it could be better especially during the weekends eating out.
    I am 5'10. Weighing 206 and it has my Calories at 1400 for 2 pound weekly loss.
    I am normally under Monday- Thursday trying to save for the weekend when my husband is off and we run around
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    Did you gain 50 lbs in 3.5 months? Most likely not - and you aren't going to (safely) lose it that fast either. With 60-70 lbs to lose, start at trying for 1-1.5 lbs per week. You may lose a bit more for the first few weeks, but as long as you aren't under eating based on your calorie goal you should be fine. Remember that weight lose is not linear - you are going to have weeks that you ate perfectly yet the scale didn't move downward. Set reasonable goals so you don't disappoint yourself and give up.

This is good advice. You will have weeks where you drop 3 lbs and feel super pumped, then go 10 days with no movement and you can't figure out why. Your body isn't a machine, it will do what it wants sometimes, and you will plateau. We all did on our journeys.

As far as sustainability, I think its very important to set reasonable expectations of yourself, your behavior, and give yourself permission to wander off the path from time to time. Most people don't sustain it because they "diet" instead of changing their diet, if that makes sense? Just make sure you keep your calories "in" below your TDEE. You will lose weight no matter what if you burn more than you take in. 80% of weight loss is through calorie reduction. You can supplement it by exercising, too, but it isn't required for weight loss.

And it's okay to have a beer, or a donut, or a piece of pizza every now and again! Just build it into your calories for the day, log it, and enjoy! If you eat like a militaristic dieter that never eats anything "fun", you'll fail at some point because when you fall off the wagon, you'll fall HARD! A piece (or two) of pizza is fine. A whole pizza is not. Everything in moderation. I always tried to keep Saturday night open for my "cheat meal". Once I stayed clean and good for a few weeks, got the ball rolling, I would build in a meal that was more "fun". I wouldn't do a 2,000 calorie "bomb" or anything, still kept it reasonable, but let loose a bit on the reins for one meal. Just log it. Log everything! Every morsel, every condiment, every ingredient. It will empower you to make good food decisions long term!

Good luck! 50 lbs will be a tough goal, but I would think that a 30+ lb goal would be well within your reach! But as I like to say: Shoot for the stars, and if you miss, you still hit the moon!
  • RadiantKola
    RadiantKola Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! First of all, congratulations on making the commitment to better health and wellness!!!

Second: Relax. You asked and many of us are taking the time to answer you because your goal is indicative of the same problem that got you heavy in the first place - you (like everyone in this modern world) are not aware of what needs to be focused on.

Third: If you want to keep the weight OFF - which is where the TRUE SUCCESS resides - then a crazy crash diet approach like you are proposing is not possible. Pure and simple. You have three children which means you need your strength and mood to be even in a house full of activity. Do not set yourself up for failure. And trust everyone here on this thread, your goal is only attainable if you check yourself into a prison camp setting where you are denied the barest of nutrition at gunpoint. AND WHY WOULD YA DO THAT TO YOUR BEAUTIFUL SELF?

Slow and steady wins the race, makes the skin react to weight loss better, teaches the brain how to "reset" your weight point, increases your knowledge of culinary arts & how to make proper choices, really "cooks" your habits so that you are not in a constant state of "I can't eat this".

I lost 60 lbs and it took me 18 months to lost the first 50lbs. When I started I was 186lbs and 44% BodyFat. Today I write this and I am 127.5lbs and 25.6% BodyFat. I went from a Size 12 down to Size 6 (or 4 depending on the manufacturer..I am most concerned with BodyFat and waist measurement). Each "decade" (which was what I called every ten pound range I went down to) was a place I "lived" in for a while. That way I could MAINTAIN the weight loss. I have never shot back up more than the occasionally three to five pounds (rarely five, when it's that I get focused After months of tracking here on MFP I can eat Christmas like a pig and not gain because my body has "reset"). I steadily and slowly went down without depriving myself of food.

I made some rules: I track pretty religiously (AFTER I eat because i'm a rebel). I eat three square meals per day. I distance walk (average 20K per day) and started Shaun T's FOCUS T25 workout ten months ago*** I don't eat any "fast food" garbage and pretty much stay away from more manufactured, food in a box crap. I like to cook and I can do it quickly and make enough for me and others.

See, there's another example of THERE'S NO NEED TO RUSH. That program is scheduled for about three months. I repeated Alpha twice. Beta twice. Game 1.2 with the friends on my iMessage "group". Sometimes it was because I was always with the modifier (in the beginning) and I wanted to get better. Other times it was because some of our workout friends hadn't completed a month and I wanted to show support. In any case, I'm only repeating the program from the top now 10 months later. My body hasn't looked this good since 1999 and I have never been this fit. HOWEVER, the weight was lost in the kitchen. That's a fact and MyFitnessPal is your great friend in this endeavor.

Unless you are in the modeling or entertainment business and have to be in a size 2 dress for the Academy Awards red carpet photo parade on June 1st, take a breath and check your intentions. Why are you in such a hurry? Are you trying to "show someone" at a reunion? Trust me, even a mere 10b loss will do such wonders for your confidence, and that's what truly matters.

YOU CAN DO THIS. DO IT RIGHT AND IT WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE YOU SEEK.

GOOD LUCK.

• RoxieDawn
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sorry. My diary was open to friends. It is now public. I didn't realize that.
    My husband and family are not on board. I make two meals everyday. They still fill my home with junk. I am very honest with logging. I log everything but water. I am doing good IMO. but it could be better especially during the weekends eating out.
    I am 5'10. Weighing 206 and it has my Calories at 1400 for 2 pound weekly loss.
    I am normally under Monday- Thursday trying to save for the weekend when my husband is off and we run around

I looked at the last 10 days. You were trying to do 1200 and now 1400 which is great. I see that you try to log around 1000+ but usually under 1100 but you do not weigh your food.

You are loosing without the scale so these 1000 calories you are logging most likely are the 1200 - 1400 calories which is keeping you in the MFP deficit thus you are making progress.

If you ever get to the point in the 2 pound per week loss stalls, you may want to invest in a food scale.

As far as your family not being on board, I commend you for these efforts and your commitment. You do realize now based on your earlier post that the 50 is not doable but you can do the 20 - 25 pounds I mentioned. I see those 1000 calorie entries for each day really being at at 1200 to 1400 without weighing..

I think you now have the mind set to keep at your goal and I hope you come back and let us know in June the success you made with the challenges you have with little ones and even having to bank calories for the weekend, but be careful because you may not be banking as much as you would like to in order to eat the 1700 to 1800 weekends..

edited to add: I did this at first without weighing food for about 4 - 5 months and then I just maintained what seemed to be forever..LOL I bought a food scale and it is now my third arm in the kitchen, I do have my hubby on board so I keep up with his calories and mine. I do work from home and around the kitchen all day long, but just know that if you loose pretty regularly in the beginning and it stalls start weighing your food and use the entries in grams (and ounces) you will be amazed...
  • danadinunno
    Options
    I have been using this scale recently which is the scale I use to weigh my packages for my eBay store. It weighs in ounces. Before I would use measuring cups.
    Is weighing in ounces ok
  • danadinunno
    Options
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I have been using this scale recently which is the scale I use to weigh my packages for my eBay store. It weighs in ounces. Before I would use measuring cups.
    Is weighing in ounces ok

If you can weigh in grams it is best. But oz count too.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited February 2016
    Options
    zug50v2avwgh.jpg

My scale also weighs mail but it is first a food scale (Ozeri). Not sure what scale that is, did not look it up, but I like the grams, ounces as well as the fluid ounces.. The measuring cups spoons are def not a good idea and measuring your liquid in a measuring cup is ok. Tablespoons bad idea.

I like to weigh in grams for example all my fruits and veggies (skins, no skin, apples cored or not cored, peanut butter a huge one for me). It is easy to track exact-adjustments in quantity. Depending on how I cook a meal for me and my husband, I will weight my meat in ounces.

I just found that I can get down to the bare calorie min using the grams settings and some entries in the MFP database for ounces are off.

Buy you know what, you are seeing success doing what you are doing. So I may not change anything right now, maybe if you need to get down to the "bare calorie min" if you stall, it may be necessary..