Logging weight loss

Options
Should you only log weigh ins once a week? Or log any loss no matter when you have them? I usually count Wednesdays as my weigh in day. But last week i was up so nothing to input but on Monday i was down 2 lbs so i logged it cause it feels great to be on the down ward path haha. Now this morning i stepped on the scale and was down another lb so should i log it or wait a week? I step on the scale once a day just to see my progression and i see it go up as well as down. Whats everyone's thoughts on this?

Replies

• echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I log weight every day.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I log every day, even when I'm up. I feel it gives me a visual of my progress. I love the chart, I don't feel down like I would if I weighed once a week and it happened to be a retention day.
  • RoseNoel01
    RoseNoel01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I log whenever there's a change. Helps with the motivation not to gain that back.
  • Schmitty_89
    Schmitty_89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think once a week is totally fine. I too check the scale everyday or every other day but it is good to keep track of your progression weekly. :) But if you lost weight before your actual weigh day, in I think it is still good to log it and keep track of your progress. It is a good reference. Like what was I eating that week? How was I feeling? Has anything changed? All good things to look back on.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I log once a week on Friday regardless if my weight went up, down, or stayed the same. I know some other people pick only one day a week to log, but don't log if they gained. Just do what works for you to see the overall trend and feel motivated.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I log it here every single day:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=monitoryourweight.bustan.net&hl=en

But I only update MFP when I've had a sustained loss over a period of time. So for example, I tend to not lose any weight at all all month, then TOM comes and after that I lose 4 or five lbs. Then I stay the same for 3 weeks, then the cycle begins again. So I just pick the lowest number and plug that into MFP, and as long as it doesn't go up more significantly than can be explained in water weight, I leave it alone. I don't want it giving me more calories for what is obviously hormonal water weight.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I log when my weight goes down, but I hop on the scale every day or 2 and watch how/when my weight fluctuates.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I log whenever I step on the scale and I'm down: some days I'm up and I usually don't log them because weight fluctuates up and down all the time. Focus on downward trends. That said: if it's been a month and I'm still up: I log it and reign my calories back in. :blush:
  • keith883
    keith883 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks i will log it thanks any loss is rewarding. So do you log any fluctuations daily? up or down? I have only been logging loss. So maybe i am not doing it correctly?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    keith883 wrote: »
    Ok thanks i will log it thanks any loss is rewarding. So do you log any fluctuations daily? up or down? I have only been logging loss. So maybe i am not doing it correctly?

The only correct way is the way that works for you. Some folks will log any loss, but not log when it regains.

I record my weight daily elsewhere, and only 'count' it when my 20-day average is below my last recorded weight. Because I HATE feeling I 'gained' weight just because my weight will pop back up again after being down almost all the time. Since you are a guy you probably have less hormonal/water weight issues. I think it's important for you to log however works best for you, there is no one right way.
  • dsadburrito
    dsadburrito Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, be CONSISTENT. If you want to weigh yourself every Wednesday - go for it. If you want to do it everyday - go for it! But I wouldn't do sometimes on Wednesdays and sometimes everyday, consistency!