bigt50124
bigt50124 Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Natural foods help your metabolism ?

Replies

• finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Less than 50% of the products he recommends have scientific backing. I'd look elsewhere for your recommendations
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    No. Dr Oz is a quack. I find that consuming home cooked meals using lots of fresh produce and leaner cuts of meet keep me full longer with fewer calories so I'm less miserable while losing weight and allowing some ice cream regularly. No magical metabolism boosting properties.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is an idiot. He's been in trouble more than once for selling his scam products.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about yesterday's show, the part about fruit and vegetables, then I actually agree with it.

In general, I don't take much stock in everything he shows. I never listen to the supplement crap for example. But the thought that crunchy fruit and vegetables take more work for our digestive systems to break down makes sense to me. We already know that all body functions burn calories naturally. So the thought that high fiber foods take a FEW more calories to break down than say a tbsp of butter makes perfect sense to me.

That said, take everything you see on Dr. Oz with a grain of salt.
  • Cynsonya
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    If you're talking about yesterday's show, the part about fruit and vegetables, then I actually agree with it.

In general, I don't take much stock in everything he shows. I never listen to the supplement crap for example. But the thought that crunchy fruit and vegetables take more work for our digestive systems to break down makes sense to me. We already know that all body functions burn calories naturally. So the thought that high fiber foods take a FEW more calories to break down than say a tbsp of butter makes perfect sense to me.

What makes sense, and what is scientifically proven fact are often different things. When it comes to this stuff, intuition is usually wrong.

So has there been a study showing how many calories are burnt while digesting a high fiber food as opposed to say, a half stick of butter? If so, I'd love to see the results.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

What makes sense, and what is scientifically proven fact are often different things. When it comes to this stuff, intuition is usually wrong.

So has there been a study showing how many calories are burnt while digesting a high fiber food as opposed to say, a half stick of butter? If so, I'd love to see the results.

Yes...look for studies on the thermic effect of food.
  • Cynsonya
    Options

Yes...look for studies on the thermic effect of food.

Thank you
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a whackjob. I'd rather take nutritional advice from a 5-year-old than him or his cronies...
  • Cynsonya
    Options

If I'm reading this correctly it seems scientific studies back this one up.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2897733/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a fraud. He was a successful cardiothoracic surgeon who got dollar signs in his eyes and sold out to become a snake oil peddler. Not worth listening to a word he says.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Dr. Oz is a fraud. He was a successful cardiothoracic surgeon who got dollar signs in his eyes and sold out to become a snake oil peddler. Not worth listening to a word he says.

Bingo!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Even a broken clock is correct twice per day. Some Dr. Oz stuff is good, some not so much.

It pays to be discerning whether it is Dr. Oz, a politician, or your neighbor giving advice to you.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    bigt50124 wrote: »
    Natural foods help your metabolism ?

I'm sure there are some...blueberries I think, for instance. But Oz is a charlatan. :/
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i think, if what he says seems too good to be true, it probably is.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

If I'm reading this correctly it seems scientific studies back this one up.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2897733/

Not really, because when you look at the food used, they have different macro/fiber breakdowns. The WF group has more protein and more fiber which would play a role in the outcome as the study shows.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Whole foods are great on many levels...and certain foods do increase TEF, but the effect is often substantially overstated.

By and large, Dr. Oz is a quack...I'm not sure what the outcome was, but he was recently involved in senate hearings for basically pedaling bull *kitten*...where there's smoke, there's fire.
  • ValBFP4H
    ValBFP4H Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It wasn't Dr. Oz saying it---it was his guests Jenna Wolfe , Dr. Neal Barnard , Dr. Drew Pinsky , Dr. Oliver Di Pietro. I don't watch him unless something grabs my interest.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    ValBFP4H wrote: »
    It wasn't Dr. Oz saying it---it was his guests Jenna Wolfe , Dr. Neal Barnard , Dr. Drew Pinsky , Dr. Oliver Di Pietro. I don't watch him unless something grabs my interest.

Thanks for that list of people to avoid.