Meal Kits? Have you tried them? What are your thoughts?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lotusstarr
    Lotusstarr Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    svsl0928 wrote: »
    You don't learn the value of portion control using a prepared meal.

Not a prepared meal just one thought out already by a chef team. You still cook it and prepare it. You just receive the ingredients and recipe.
  • Lotusstarr
    Options

I tried Hello Fresh a couple of times. I liked that all ingredients were premeasured without any leftovers. The taste was good overall, and I tried a few things that I would never have thought of on my own. Ultimately i cancelled because the meat was lower quality than I am used to.
    They do have all of their receipes free on their website.

Good to know, Thanks!

• MaGrl523
    MaGrl523 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've tried Plated.com and Hello Fresh. I like them both but Plated.com a little more and I only do these when I have a promo code. Otherwise, it is not financially a good choice for me. As for portion size. I usually had left overs. It's a decent amount of food. I would order for 2 people and it was usually just me that would eat so I'd have 3 leftover meals usually. At the very least, 2 extra meals.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I was gifted a free week of Blue Apron. I didn't care for it. The prep time was longer than they estimated (and I'm a pretty skilled cook), the quality of meat and produce wasn't the best, and the environmentalist in me found the packaging to be excessive and wasteful. I can cook better quality, better tasting meals - on my own - and faster - than what is provided by a meal service. That's just my opinion - I have lots of friends that love both Blue Apron and Hello Fresh.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I thought about it, but too expensive for a family of 4 and we have some dietary restrictions.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Actually there is a link to the whole cookbook. I wasn't logged in, so I'm guessing anyone can see this:

https://www.blueapron.com/cookbook

Ahh maybe I was logged in sorry....

I've never tried these before, but thanks for linking the cookbook. All the recipes are available for free and I'm getting some good inspiration.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Lotusstarr wrote: »
    BekahC1980 wrote: »
    OP asked for personal though but I used medfast

So I'm guessing you guys are discussing prepared meals, which is not what I am referring to.
    Feel free to ignore my posts :)

Not Prepared meals just ingredients delivered with a recipe to follow.

Ah fair enough, I haven't been exposed to this before. Interesting concept. I was repling based on my experience with freshfitfoods.ca/
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't mind cooking but after putting together a meal plan for over a year my mind gets a little bored. Sometimes it's nice to have a good meal that's not something I'd have to think about. IE I can make Truffled Cremini Mushroom Chicken with Polenta + Roasted Broccolini and Delicata Squash but coming up with a week these recipes is sometimes exhausting. I do however normally have leftovers so I typically only make 3 meals a week.

Do you need more than 100 different recipes for dinner? Can't you use the same recipes again? I have a 12 week dinner plan; most of the meals are repeated every 2, 3 or 4 weeks, others just eaten once in the 12 weeks, and one day every week is open for fresh ideas. After 12 weeks, I start over. Oh, and my meals are very basic (but tasty), it's meat+starch+veg, or casserole/soup+dessert.
  • Lotusstarr
    Options
    MaGrl523 wrote: »
    I've tried Plated.com and Hello Fresh. I like them both but Plated.com a little more and I only do these when I have a promo code. Otherwise, it is not financially a good choice for me. As for portion size. I usually had left overs. It's a decent amount of food. I would order for 2 people and it was usually just me that would eat so I'd have 3 leftover meals usually. At the very least, 2 extra meals.

What was different about Plated that you liked more?
  • Lotusstarr
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    I was gifted a free week of Blue Apron. I didn't care for it. The prep time was longer than they estimated (and I'm a pretty skilled cook), the quality of meat and produce wasn't the best, and the environmentalist in me found the packaging to be excessive and wasteful. I can cook better quality, better tasting meals - on my own - and faster - than what is provided by a meal service. That's just my opinion - I have lots of friends that love both Blue Apron and Hello Fresh.

You're the second to say the quality wasn't great, that's definitely something to take into consideration. I understand the packaging thing too. I love Trader Joe's but their packaging is almost all plastics which is frustrating.
  • Lotusstarr
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    Actually there is a link to the whole cookbook. I wasn't logged in, so I'm guessing anyone can see this:

https://www.blueapron.com/cookbook

Ahh maybe I was logged in sorry....

I've never tried these before, but thanks for linking the cookbook. All the recipes are available for free and I'm getting some good inspiration.

This might be another option for sure.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    You're the second to say the quality wasn't great, that's definitely something to take into consideration. I understand the packaging thing too. I love Trader Joe's but their packaging is almost all plastics which is frustrating.

We've been doing Blue Apron for over a year, and all the ingredients are high quality organic meats/vegs from small farms. I've never tried those other services, so no idea about them.
  • Lotusstarr
    Options

Do you need more than 100 different recipes for dinner? Can't you use the same recipes again? I have a 12 week dinner plan; most of the meals are repeated every 2, 3 or 4 weeks, others just eaten once in the 12 weeks, and one day every week is open for fresh ideas. After 12 weeks, I start over. Oh, and my meals are very basic (but tasty), it's meat+starch+veg, or casserole/soup+dessert.

Hahahaha, sometimes my taste buds get bored. I do reuse a lot of recipes but I'm always looking for something new. Sometimes I need some new flavor. I've tried all kinds of tricks to try to curb it. Occasionally I will do international weeks where I just try to hop around the globe on my meals. It's a problem.

• Lotusstarr
    Options
    I thought about it, but too expensive for a family of 4 and we have some dietary restrictions.

I know some of them are able to work around dietary restrictions. I found a local that was AIP friendly as well as Vegan and Gluten Free.