The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Anyone else read & have any book suggestions to share with the group?
    Quick Strength for Runners: 8 Weeks to a Better Runner's Body - Jeff Horowitz ISBN-10: 1937715124
    ISBN-13: 978-1937715120

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Crappy, crappy, extra crappy, full of crap sort of crappy run. Luckily I didn't crap anywhere. But everything sure felt like crap. Actually, my last 3 runs wound up crappy in the end, not reaching my goal in any of them.

@WhatMeRunning, that really sucks! In my inexperienced opinion, I think you should set all your goals aside for your next run and just go out and run for the pure enjoyment of it. With no preset goals, you can't fail and it will be a successful run (unless you fall on your face, of course). Start from the top by getting your head straight again.

One other thought..with your focus on speed/strength, is your form breaking down?

@MorningGhost14, THAT was great one-liner!

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Lotsa new folks! Newbie welcomes to @ty274 @AdrianChr92 @Hydeel6582 @Wendy1Fl (Congrats! Some stroller runs in your future maybe) @annekka @ka97 @CariTJR (I think you snuck in without me noticing) @KnordRW @Jennalynn1765 @rohanivan @wreath7 @nikkiplaysx
    @shanaber: How’d your HM go?
    @Elise4270: Hope you’re back to 100% soon.
    @kateparry84: You’re a machine with the progress!
    @kristinegift: BAM! on the 18 miler…
    @ddmom0811: PR…excellent!
    @juliet3455: FANTASTIC time for your first HM
    @runner_girl83: While I’m sure the news is disappointing to you about your HM, at least it looks like you’re getting to the bottom of the problem. That’s progress, right?

Mo Feb 1: Iowa caucuses…Can’t.tear.myself.away. What did I say about “consistency” again? I did reset my training since it’s a new month to the “Sub 2:30:00 half marathon” plan..maybe I can pull a Peewee Herman and say “I meant to do that?”
    Tu Feb 2: On the board! 3.06 miles in the rain.
    We Feb 3: REST DAY
    Th Feb 4: Program called for 3 easy miles. Started out feeling crappy, wanted to give up at 2 miles in but forced myself through it and kept saying “It’s just mental”. I ended running the whole 3…no walk intervals..still felt good at the end and went a little longer, ended up with 3.75 miles. It was a good run in the end.
    Fr Feb 5: REST DAY Ellipticals/weights
    Sa Feb 6-Tu Feb 9: No good excuses. I’ve had some house projects but I coulda run…
    We Feb 10: Limited time due to snow falling this morning (need extra commute time) but squeezed in 2.17 this morning, want to do more tonight.

exercise.png
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    5.3 miles today, 24 out of 60. My furthest distance and also my fastest pace, average 11.57 minute mile, I've finally got under 12 :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Crappy, crappy, extra crappy, full of crap sort of crappy run. Luckily I didn't crap anywhere. But everything sure felt like crap. Actually, my last 3 runs wound up crappy in the end, not reaching my goal in any of them.
    One other thought..with your focus on speed/strength, is your form breaking down?
    Considering that within the last hour (beginning about 90 minutes after my run) the top of my left thigh right up front is in a little bit of pain, this could very well be. I recently just got past a very minor pull in an adductor muscle on my left leg, nothing painful but was noticeable for a few days doing certain movements. Could all be adding up.

Guess I will do easy runs only for the next week. Maybe even rest, but considering I don't feel like I've trained properly I don't want to rest yet! :lol: STUPID MUSCLES!!!
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

I should post this in the group so we can have a reference later on.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332797/running-books

Eric Orton -- "The Cool Impossible"
    Bryon Powell -- "Relentless Forward Progress"
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Crappy, crappy, extra crappy, full of crap sort of crappy run...

....I'm just pushing too hard...
    That's a good way to get hemorrhoids...

Crappy crappy and extra crappy hemorrhoids...

I agree, it sounds like a cut back week is in order.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@WhatMeRunning, that really sucks! In my inexperienced opinion, I think you should set all your goals aside for your next run and just go out and run for the pure enjoyment of it. With no preset goals, you can't fail and it will be a successful run (unless you fall on your face, of course). Start from the top by getting your head straight again.

Been there, done that..
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    karllundy wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - I may have missed or may have forgotten...you have twins?!? Me too! Its like a twisted, demented club.

Oh it is! Mine are Boy/Girl and they are 20. (Neither of them run :weary: )Yours?

Boy/girl also, 9. I get them to run with me now and then. I think my daughter really likes it. I have been trying to get her to join Girls on the Run, but no luck. She loves soccer. My 12 year old son is mostly a couch potato.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @kateparry84 - Nice distance PR!!
    @TheMobileMom - Yay for back2back runs!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hey I got a stupid question! I promised myself I could run tomorrow, but the knee isn't 100%. It probably 60-75%. But running doesn't hurt. I can almost walk without a limp. Tomorrow I'll be 9.88 miles behind schedule. That's a critical distance. Been off it sun-tuesday..

@Elise4270 - Two years ago in your situation, I , starting with 3 weeks in a boot unable to even walk 10K steps per day.

Now, I'd say that the mileage goal can be a counter-productive incentive. Yeah, you can go out and run. Yeah, you can hit that mileage goal. But if you make the knee worse, you could also end up with an extended period of couch time. That sucks.

My rule of thumb is, if I can't walk normally I shouldn't run. "Almost walk without a limp" isn't walking normally. Take more time off now, or risk taking a whole heck of a lot more time off later. Then whenever you do come back, come back slow and with ridiculously short distances at first. Build very, very gradually.

This is hard stuff. There is no bell that rings when you get it right; there is only pain when you do too much. I've run through stuff that I wouldn't run through now, and I've paid the price in couch time. That's a higher price that I want to pay again.

I was seriously going to run today. But now..... I'm not sure..

What are the chances of a potentially serious-ish injury if I was able to finish the 15k on it? (I'm rationalising here).. Poop. I NEED A RUN! I GOT NEW SHOES FOR HEAVEN SAKE!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I made a Running Book wish list. I already have Daniel's Running Formula book and Maffetone's 1:59 book. I also have The Runner's World Big Book of Marathon & HM Training. So obviously they won't be on my wish list.

Born To Run – Chris McDougall - ISBN-13: 978-0307279187
    Advanced Marathoning – Pete Pfitzinger - ISBN-13: 978-0736074605
    Lore of Running – Tim Noakes - ISBN-13: 978-0873229593
    80/20 Running – Matt Fitzgerald - ISBN-13: 978-0451470881
    How Bad Do You Want It – Matt Fitzgerald - ISBN-13: 978-1937715410
    Build Your Running Body – Pete Magill - ISBN-13: 978-1615191024
    Explosive Running – Michael Yessis - ISBN-13: 978-0809298990
    Big Book of Endurance Training & Racing – Phil Maffetone - ISBN-13: 978-1616080655
    You (Only Faster) – Greg McMillan - ISBN-13: 978-1620304426
    16 Weeks to a Faster Marathon – Jeff Gaudette - ISBN-13: 978-1475035841
    Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide – Hal Higdon - ISBN-13: 978-1609612245
    Running to the Top – Arthur Lydiard - ISBN-13: 978-1841263359
    Running The Lydiard Way - ISBN-13: 978-0890370964

I should post this in the group so we can have a reference later on.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332797/running-books

Pretty good list there @Stoshew71 . I have nothing to add to the list, but just popped in to say what a game changer Matt Fitzgerald's "80/20 Running" was for me. I highly recommend this book for anyone who is struggling to get the whole concept of, not only running slower, but holding back on your easy runs. This book explains why it is important and how best to do it. I honestly don't think I would have gotten my BQ without this book. Bonus: It includes training plans for all distances and all levels.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Any exercises you can share that target the glutes, hips and knees that might help?
    My go to exercises for glutes/hips(core) are:
    clamshells
    leg lifts
    side leg raises
    bam bams
    squats (I tend to do squat jumps more often now)

Donkey kicks, too.

I'm so sorry you're out for doing HMs for a while, but I'm really glad you're getting to the bottom of what's causing you so much pain, @runner_girl83 !
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1/31 Rest
    2/1 6.25 @ 12.00 on the treadmill
    2/2 3.5 (3 @ 11:50 and .5 walking) and strength training
    2/3 Rest day--drove several hours to have coffee with a friend. Couldn't squeeze in a run, but the heart is happy!
    2/4 10.25 @ 11:46 on the treadmill. Fast and Furious (not to be confused with The Fast and the Furious. Or 2 Fast 2 Furious. Or Tokyo Drift.)
    2/5 Planned rest day--taking my daughter on her first college visit!
    2/6 5 @ 10:35 on the treadmill
    (25/25 for the week)

2/7 Rest
    2/8 5 @ 11:23 on the treadmill. Knees were giving me a little trouble at the beginning but warmed up ok.
    2/9 3.25 @ 10:46 on the treadmill and strength training
    2/10 11 @ 12:00 on the treadmill. Dear goodness golly that was awful.
    2/11
    2/12
    2/13
    (19.25/25 for the week)

Yeah...so remember when I said I never, never wanted to run 12 miles on a treadmill ever again? Mmmm-hmm. So it was a little icy on the roads this morning, and there are still too may spots where there is snow in the middle of the sidewalk, so I decided to go on and do my last "loooooong" run at the gym. I kept it nice and slow, but my knees have been hurting and today was no exception. My HR was good--low 140s--but the legs were unhappy and I cut it short by a mile. I am quite sore today. And I didn't plan well with the food thing--today is supposed to be a "fast" day, and...that's probably not happening.

Upcoming Races:
    Feb. 14 Run Your Heart Out 5K, Reston, VA
    Feb. 21 Disney Princess Half Marathon, Orlando, FL

exercise.png

• SuperSaiyanGoddess86
    Options
    I am joining late my goal is 40 miles
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am also one of the members who reads all the posts but I just can't seem to get to responding to everyone.

I ran 2 miles yesterday and 5 miles today. I don't know what is going on with me this week but my workouts don't seem to be going right. I did squats on Monday that felt crazy hard and I wasn't sure I was going to get through them. My 2 miles mostly felt ok yesterday but then I went to do bench press last night and barely got one rep with my 10 rep max. My 5-miler today wasn't horrible but my legs were just so tired and I could not wait for it to be over with. I actually had a bit of a break because of the weekend class I had this past weekend so I am not quite sure what is going on. I would like to get moving up past 5 miles to 6 but I am just not comfortable doing that right now with how 5 has been feeling lately. Oh well, I will keep trudging along. :)
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    cbro70 wrote: »
    Was sick the past few days and finally got going again this morning. Had a good run and ran the furthest I have in almost a year.
    exercise.png[\img]

Happy almost anniversary. Glad you're feeling better.

• cwolfgram
    cwolfgram Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I recently joined. I'm currently doing the C25K program. I have never been a runner before. My goal is going to be 25 miles this month.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    6.28 km @7:42 min/km; Av HR 121, max HR 134. Tired legs today. According to Eric Orton, when you have a low HR for your perceived effort, it usually means your legs are tired. This is a cutback week on my training plan, so I have a rest day tomorrow, and 15km long run on Saturday.

Thanks for all the suggestions on glute exercises. I need to start these too.

1 Feb 6.18 km
    2 Feb sick
    3 Feb sick
    4 Feb Rest
    5 Feb 11.13 km
    6 Feb 6.62 km
    7 Feb 19.00 km (long run)
    8 Feb Rest
    9 Feb 6.28 km
    10 Feb 10.46 km
    11 Feb 6.28 km

Total: 65.95 km / 165 km

Races:
    5 June Rocky River Run 21km
    3 July Gold Coast Marathon

exercise.png
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    the plan to be back running the whole 5k without any walk intervals by the end of the month is just about on track.

went a little faster tonight so now only a couple of minutes quicker and I won't look like I am just waliug the whole thing.

date....distance.... Mtd......ytd
    1/2........ 5k.............5k.........50k
    3/2.........5k.............10k......55k
    7/2.........5k.............15k.......60k
    10/2.......5k.............20k.......65k