Failing every day :(

Options

Replies

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that eats the majority of my calories after 6pm. I have two young kids and let them have digestive biscuits or homemade flapjacks etc but wouldn't keep chocolate around for them. I have more calories to play with (I'm much bigger and taller than you) but generally eat 1500-1600 a day. I eat around 200 for breakfast, then 350 for lunch and the rest in the evening (barring cups of tea/drinks etc). It works really well for me and keeps me from snacking in the evening as I was tempted to in the past.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    coops3180 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice I know I need to do weigh stuff etc but with work and 4 children ive become lazy with doing stuff like that and reching for whatever is easy.. And sweet!!
    I find it hard to weigh and log too, i have two kids and study full time and there's just so much to do and remember all.the.time. that it's just too hard to log consistently. And I feel your pain at not being able to clear the house of "junk" too, the kids eat well and have an occasional treat so why should they have to change that because of my weight issues!

I also have that problem with afternoon snacking and it's more than just a little craving or being a bit hungry. It's a compulsion to load up with carbs *right now*. One thing that I'm going to try is to have breakfast and lunch as normal but have dinner ready to go when i get in the door (leftovers from last night) then when I serve up the family meal, dish myself out a portion for tomorrow afternoon. If i could do that regularly i know i would find it much easier.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    This won't be a popular opinion but I did some fasting to get me past those binges. I was like you. I would plan my day, eat reasonably, then come home and eat half a block of cheese, 12 cookies, and whatever else I could find while preparing supper for my family. I decided to try fasting with 20hours fasted and 4 hours when I was allowed to eat. It broke me of my bad habits because typically I would break the fast with a great(large) meal and then have a small snack or two in the next 2 hours before I was back to the fasting window. It taught me that I can resist, I don't need that thing I want to have, and the world will not end if I don't get it. I still plan my days and fast maybe once a month as a reminder. It has helped me with my self control in a huge way!!

Other suggestions: eat enough food! 1200 is often given to those who want to lose 2lbs/week. You don't need to lose that fast, especially if the restriction ends up making you feel deprived. Go for a walk when you gets those feelings of wanting to eat all the things, find a friend to keep you accountable, and plan! Have your evening meal defrosted, thought through, and easy to prepare. It is so much easier to eat healthy if you plan for it with 5 minutes of time the night before.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    @diannethegeek That is a great response!!!

Have you been tested for diabetes? A lot of times a diabetic untreated will have sweet cravings. Just a thought!!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Loads of good advice here.

Can I add something re sweet stuff in the house?
    I just don't have it in. I can't. What I do with my son instead is either buy him stuff one by one ie a doughnut to meet him from school with, a snickers or something he can get from the shop.
    All the fillers will be stuff like, crisps or lots of toast and jam, or boring stuff.
    If I really want a treat I'll work it in to my calories and cycle a lot more or whatever.

There's always carrots, sugar snap peas, cherry toms, and apples around. They see me through and once a week or every two weeks I'll just have whatever I want without counting. I'm sad without treats and stuffing myself but the benefits FAR outweigh that. I'm on a small diet until I get back to 128 after my 3lb gain from xmas holidays when I stopped exercising or caring about restricting.

I lose weight at a pound a month so I'm hungry and yet not starving. See my diary for ideas.
  • Bishbosh33
    Bishbosh33 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yep! You need to throw that stuff away! And take a little time to prep some healthy snacks to keep in the house to stop you binging on junk. I just made a fish soup. Throwing it in the freezer so I can just chuck it in the microwave when I want. Hot soup, drinks will help you feel full!
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    More protein and fat, less carbs. It seems to me that you're eating mostly carbs, and it's a recipe for disaster.

^^^This. I did 1200 calories for my first month (I am 36, 5'3", but much heavier than you). The thing that helped me most was eating protein for breakfast (2 eggs and 2 veggie sausages). It keeps me full until early afternoon, and allows me to have a smallish lunch without that uncontrollable craving for sweets before dinner.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Banish junk food from the house. Junk food defined here as high calorie/low nutrient foods. This includes for your kids. Are you the one buying groceries? If so, don't buy junk foods. If they're buying them for themselves, make it a rule that it needs to be consumed by them before the day is over. Anything left is thrown away before they go to bed. They can still have junk food outside the house, and inside in limited quantities, but you'll be removing a huge temptation for you. And maybe helping them learn moderation on their part. Yes, they will complain and whine and moan about it. However it's not going to hurt them, so be firm.

If you've got a sweet tooth, work with it. Always hungry for something sweet at 3pm? Have some fruit or head to the store or gas station and pick up a SINGLE of something you like. Make room for it in your daily calories. This goes for any foods that you crave. Don't cut everything you like out of your diet. Instead, find out how much of it is a serving and find places to work it into your day. You still get to eat stuff you like, but in a way that won't disrupt your progress. Remember, this is not a diet, this is you changing your eating habits. Learn to work with foods you like and you'll be able to keep the weight off once you get to your goal

It's also ok to start small and build. Make a couple of small changes, give yourself time to get used to it, and then make a few more. If you have to schedule a day every other week or once a month to adjust something, do so. Keep adjusting until you're comfortable staying within your calorie goal for the day. Make sure your calories aren't too low. If you don't think MFP is correct, google for a calorie calculator and use a few that come up to check it. They'll all be different because each one uses a slightly different calculation for activity levels, but they should all be close. Average them and use that as your goal.

You might also consider splitting up your calories differently. Some people do better on several smaller meals over the course of the day instead of 2-3 big ones. That might be something to explore.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Huh. The thing about throwing out junk, which I have done, is that I didn't learn to control myself when junk came back into my life. I like knowing I can eat one Snickers and not start a binge. We still have half a basket of Halloween candy because my kids are comfortable eating 1 piece a week; I hope they keep that skill into adulthood.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea to practice and get to the point where you can keep candy and other treats around and only eat one serving. Many of us (me!) can't do that in the beginning, and may never be able to. I think it's okay to acknowledge that and manage your environment with that in mind. I'm slowly developing that skill, but I still have to be super-cautious when I have treats around because it only takes one moment of weakness to break down and eat a crapload of calories with energy dense foods.
  • mollypw1994
    mollypw1994 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    A suggestion - when you get home from work, make it a habit to either drink a large glass of water and eat an apple or some other fruit that will satiate your craving for crunchy and sweet... Or drink your water while browsing the Success Stories community here. Looking at all those before and after photos has been very motivating for me, and may make you pause before eating something you shouldn't. Good luck!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Been there, Done that!! And I bet you aren't hungry when you are mindlessly eating all those biscuits and kit kats and stuff?!! But the key word there is MINDLESSLY! The only way I have started to conquer my overeating is to literally ask myself "Am I ok with putting this into my mouth when I know I will feel bad? If the answer is yes then promise yourself to really enjoy it!"

xx
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Oh and I really recommend the Hartleys sugar free jelly pots - they are only about 8 calories but really help to satisfy the 'need' for something sweet!!
  • Fcc2023
    Fcc2023 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    blobby10 wrote: »
    Oh and I really recommend the Hartleys sugar free jelly pots - they are only about 8 calories but really help to satisfy the 'need' for something sweet!!

Fab, I will try them thanks :)
  • Fcc2023
    Options
    aim_3 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    More protein and fat, less carbs. It seems to me that you're eating mostly carbs, and it's a recipe for disaster.

^^^This. I did 1200 calories for my first month (I am 36, 5'3", but much heavier than you). The thing that helped me most was eating protein for breakfast (2 eggs and 2 veggie sausages). It keeps me full until early afternoon, and allows me to have a smallish lunch without that uncontrollable craving for sweets before dinner.

Only thing is I crave cereal in the mornings and im also on limited time getting myself and kids ready and dropping them to preschool and school then driving to work I just dont have time to cook either x
  • Chupiite
    Chupiite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Buy a key for locker and give that to kids and tell them to keep it locked haha :)
  • Fcc2023
    Options
    Loads of good advice here.

Can I add something re sweet stuff in the house?
    I just don't have it in. I can't. What I do with my son instead is either buy him stuff one by one ie a doughnut to meet him from school with, a snickers or something he can get from the shop.
    All the fillers will be stuff like, crisps or lots of toast and jam, or boring stuff.
    If I really want a treat I'll work it in to my calories and cycle a lot more or whatever.

There's always carrots, sugar snap peas, cherry toms, and apples around. They see me through and once a week or every two weeks I'll just have whatever I want without counting. I'm sad without treats and stuffing myself but the benefits FAR outweigh that. I'm on a small diet until I get back to 128 after my 3lb gain from xmas holidays when I stopped exercising or caring about restricting.

I lose weight at a pound a month so I'm hungry and yet not starving. See my diary for ideas.

Thank you ill have a look.x
  • Fcc2023
    Options
    jaynee7283 wrote: »
    My trigger is that once the kids are in bed for the night, I sit down to watch TV and immediately start thinking about snacking. I'm a sucker for sweets as well.

The change I made was to go to bed soon after my kids do. Once they go to bed, I brush my teeth and then watch television for an hour, and then I head to bed myself. By brushing my teeth is sways me away from eating at night, and kind of "sets me up" to be ready to go to bed.

Not only am I not doing the night-time binge snack thing, but I'm getting more sleep as a result as well.

And when I do want a sweet - I log it. No matter how big or small.

I think you definitely need to increase from 1200 calories a day - that's not sustainable in the long-term.

Some good advice there ill try it tonight x
  • Fcc2023
    Options
    Chupiite wrote: »
    Buy a key for locker and give that to kids and tell them to keep it locked haha :)

Hahaha no I have to learn self control!! I did better today I had a banana with fat free natural yogurt and a tablespoon of honey seems to have worked so far as I havent stolen a kitkat! :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Have a look at this calorie calculator scoobysworkshop

I plugged your stats in and with a 10% reduction, even without exercise it suggests 1471 calories a day. Your binging is mostly because you are not eating enough up to that point. Eat more earlier, and you are less likely to binge from hunger.

I'm short too (you have a couple of inches on me, and I weigh another half a stone on top of you). My calorie suggestion is around 1480, which should let me lose just over 1and a half lbs PER MONTH. If your short, your weight loss will take longer, much longer. Losing about a lb per month is more likely, which means MFP's goals are a bit too aggressive. You can manually change your calorie target. I suggest figuring out what your maintenance calories are, and what your goal calories are. Gradually reduce what you are eating whilst not feeling like you are starving, then stick at that level.