Your assistance please...

Hello,

I'm hoping for your opinions... Especially if you lift weights.
I have been on/ off mfp for a year. Lost a bit with cardio and restriction last year, slowly gained it back.
I am female and a healthy body weight. I do feel good but want to be the best I can. I would like to lose about 10lbs slowly and gain strength.
I started doing Kayla itsines BBG (sit ups, lunges, squats, burpees, etc) and doing some weights with my husbands help about 1 2/2 weeks ago. My plan is to do this 3x/ week. I still walk 20-60 minutes daily but that has been a part of my life for years (my dog). I also do Pilates or yoga when I can... Because I love it!
I am also focusing on eating a bit more and way more protein. I felt terrible in January at 1350ish and found I was binging.

Today my weight is up about 4lbs. This is likely due to the change in exercise and eating more protein right?? Would adding protein powder contribute? I would like to stick with what I am doing...

I did take measurements and pictures but still too early to notice a difference.

I am new to this way of thinking (weights and eating vs cardio and restriction) and am learning a lot but would appreciate advise from people who are more experienced at this!

I opened my diary.

Thank you for your input!!

Replies

• pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    It's water retention from working out (probably). What's your height/weight and daily calorie intake?
    Keep in mind weight lifting is designed to build muscle. That being said, you didn't gain 4lbs of muscle in 2 weeks. If you want to lose fat you still need to be in a deficit. Lifting doesnt burn much in the way of calories. Or check out the recomp posts on here.
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Thanks @pzarnosky.
    5'9" 155lb, 1550 cal/day (1lb per week loss).
    I have read a pile of the recomp threads but felt uncertain once the info was applied to me lol.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    For your height and weight 1550 is a good calorie deficit. I'm 5'6" and 146lbs and I est 1500 How accurate is your logging? I weigh every single thing I consume. It wasn't until I started weighing my food that I found out I underestimate how much a serving is. Especially calorie dense things like peanut butter.
  • cpp_happy
    No, my logging is accurate. It's the bites here and there added in that aren't. That being said... It's not 4 lbs worth.
    My question was more in regard to the sudden increase in weight (which is new to me and I'm not new at this) with a change in type of exercise and protein intake.
    Thanks for your input.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Protien shouldn't increase your weight unless your diet is the same and then you added the protien shakes (meaning you added extra calories).
  • cpp_happy
    @tillerstouch thank you.
    I added protein powder but stayed within my calories.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Then it shouldn't be the protien although protien helps build/retain muscle it's still just calories and calories are really what causes weight change. And after only a week and a half of lifting it wouldn't be muscle either. I can't say exactly what it is some could be water renting some could just be regular weight fluctuation.

I would pay close attention to how your body looks physically vs just the scale. Take pictures for yourself to compare. Monitoring weight is obviously beneficial but it can also be deceiving.
  • cpp_happy
    Ok. Thanks for your input. I'll keep at it!